“So-so. Don't come here expecting a great hotel experience.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt

Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Greenbelt
New Jersey, US
“So-so. Don't come here expecting a great hotel experience.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed for 2 nights with my husband and children in April 2012. The room was all right, it was clean and comfortable. Our reservation didn't come with breakfast, so we paid for it separately on our first morning there. The breakfast buffet cost $9.99 and the kids ate free (as in all Holiday Inn hotels), but the breakfast wasn't good--we would've been better off buying coffee and pastries at a Starbucks. If you're doing a lot of sightseeing in DC (about 20 minutes from the hotel) and don't expect to be in your hotel except to sleep, it's a good value for the price.

One thing I didn't like though: on the morning of our check-out, we heard a loud and insistent knocking on our door at 8 a.m. My husband opened the door and somebody from the hotel said that they routinely knocked on doors of rooms if the people were going to check out. We found this unreasonable; we would have asked for a wake-up call if we had needed it. It was also completely unnecessary, considering that check-out time was at noon.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnGreenbelt, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. We are very sorry that you weren’t satisfied with your breakfast in our restaurant and we will address that with our restaurant manager. We are also truly sorry that you were disturbed before you had any intention of waking up and that will be addressed so that nobody else has to suffer that inconvenience. We hope that you otherwise enjoyed your visit to the Washington DC area.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Connecticut, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

I went through review after review before selecting a hotel for our recent DC trip. I read a number of good reviews on this hotel before making my decision. The location was good, no problems there - I read a review saying the location was in a bad neighborhood, that is not the case! The photo on this page showing the hotel lit up green is deceiving, I never saw the hotel in that light - it does make it look nice in the photo. We booked two rooms a couple months ago and requested that they be joining rooms. At check in on April 10th we reminded the lady, she said that she was unable to give us the joining rooms but they were across the hall... ok, no problem. When inserting our keys into the doors another man checking in entered his room right next to us (the joining room), he seemed as thought he was just checking in also with all his luggage.... Ok, it seemed she could have given us the joining rooms we requested but no big deal... Upon entering the rooms after dark the only thing I noticed was that the vacuuming could have been better, between the beds there seemed to be some sparkles on the rug that were missed...ok, no big deal. There were a couple hairs on the made bed that I selected further from the bath.... ok could have been from the lady making the bed I guess... So far not terrible. Through out our 4 day/3 night stay I noticed other issues with the room and service: 1. dirty plastic spoon between my bed and night stand along with some sort of wrapper 2. The bathroom! The tub was filthy, if you bend down (or sit on the toilet) and look at the tub beneath the overlapped piece you will find that area is never cleaned (at least it seemed so in our rooms 208 & 209) I took pictures. The other issue in the bathroom was that you were standing in water up to your ankles when taking a shower - I believe I read a review about that further down, It is true!! GROSS! 3. day 2 I asked a lady that was cleaning the room next to mine in the morning for a couple extra towels since we had three people in our room, she told me that she did not have my room on her list so she could not give me the towels... I had to ask her again to please have an extra towel and washcloth for my child before she reluctantly handed them over.
Other than those issues my daughter ordered the fruit and yogurt for breakfast and the fruit was not fresh at all. The waiters and waitresses were very friendly though and the food otherwise was ok. Overall, not what I expected at a Holiday Inn, I am really not one to complain, I think many people complain just because they can, but I do wish I would have stayed at a nicer hotel for my Grandmothers only trip to DC. :( It was a good deal because it was cheap but I would rate it just above the motels in the area. You get what you pay for...

Room Tip: Perhaps only the two rooms we stayed in are the dirty ones?? Rooms 208 & 209 have the filth in...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JMW0720
Thank you for taking the time to comment on the issues that you experienced during your stay, for that we truly apologize. Please be assured that we will be addressing each and every issue that you outlined. Please also be aware that our Management team is always available to speak with and we would have welcomed the opportunity to make your stay more comfortable while you were staying with us.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

I would normally stay in DC, but I wasn't traveling on business and wasn't in the mood to pay for parking and deal with traffic downtown, so I decided to stay just outside of the city. I didn't know much about the location, but I knew it was on my drive so it didn't require me going out of the way. The hotel is actually a bit hard to find (or I'm just a bad navigator) as it's tucked away in an office park. But, once I found it all was good and there was an abundance of free parking (although uncovered and a bit of a hike to the hotel...if you have a lot of luggage you might unload before parking the car). The young girl at reception was especially friendly. The size and quality of the room was surprising given the price. I typically stay at 4 star hotels when traveling on business, and this was comparable to many. The TV, as has been mentioned in previous reviews, was especially nice and a good channel lineup. Free WiFi, something the budget hotels have been getting right for years, worked well. The room was clean and comfortable except for some black stains (looks like pen ink) near the desk. The condition of the bathroom, while clean, could definitely use some improvement. The door to the bathroom looked ancient and was well worn, the tub/shower was in desperate need of some TLC (and by "TLC" I mean replacement), and the size was just a wee bit too small for my comfort, though it was acceptable. I had a quiet, restful night sleep with no disruption from the hallway (which I was worried about due to being the first door down the hall) and no outside noise. The air conditioning (it was especially hot that day/night) worked wonderfully, though it's a wall unit and produces quite a bit of noise. I actually like the white noise it produces (helps me sleep), but others may be annoyed by it. The woman who checked me out was not especially polite, though I can't say she was rude. Overall, I would give the place another star if the bathrooms were redone. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again, especially given the price.

Room Tip: As for a room facing the front of the hotel if you are afraid of noise from the parking lot/outside...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnGreenbelt, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Thank you for taking time to post your comments and choosing to stay with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back.
Baldwin, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

I was so pleased with my stay at the Holiday Inn. I will admit, at first there was a small mix-up with my room slelection, but it was quickly resloved.
Everything about the room was wonderful. The bed, tv,bathroom, etc. The room was very clean. The hotel was very clean. It was the Easter weekend and although it was busy (we saw a few wedding parties), service was on point. I thank God. Keep up the good work!!

Room Tip: When making the reservation, specify how many beds. ie- queen, king or double.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnGreenbelt, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you for staying with us over the Easter weekend. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to provide excellent service and accommodations.
West Orange
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I stayed here because I was attending an event at the Univ of Maryland. It's an older hotel but the rooms are extremely comfortable and it has everything you need to set up a laptop and do some work. Room service was reasonably priced and the service was prompt. The restaurant and bar area look a little outdated but the service was good. You are only 1 minute away from a mall other restaurants. Good value for the money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the front of the hotel - great views from this side!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnGreenbelt, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Thank you for staying with us during your visit to the University of Maryland.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenbelt
1.5 km away
1.6 km away
Courtyard Greenbelt
Courtyard Greenbelt
#5 of 5 in Greenbelt

Been to Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK