“Good food!”

Estrella Hondumex
Ranked #77 of 210 Restaurants in Gatlinburg
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 26 November 2016

I've driven past this place for a few years now and, although I love to try "off-the-beaten-path" restaurants in Gatlinburg, this one looked a little too off-the-beaten-path for me. Admittedly, it wasn't until I read the other reviews of this restaurant that I decided I needed to try it out. I am glad that I did! It's definitely an interesting atmosphere, as we were the only ones in the small seating area. There wasn't any music, just the sound of the TVs (which were playing the news, all in Spanish, of course). However, the service was friendly and fast and the food was very good. I had the #1 (it had beef, plantains, rice, and refried beans). If you're looking for more authentic Mexican food than No Way Jose's and you want to stay away from the crowds and craziness of downtown Gatlinburg, I would definitely recommend this restaurant. The prices don't appear cheap, but just wait and see how much food you receive! The prices seem more than fair when that plate is in front of you--it was a lot of food! It was also neat to walk around the grocery store and see some of the Mexican items that were for sale.

3  Thank feathers161

Reviewed 8 November 2016 via mobile

My husband read somewhere that this is a must-stop for foodies. I'm not sure if whoever said that understands what a foodie is. There wasn't anything special about this place beyond its "authenticity." The meat in my Asada was some of the worst beef I've had: all gristle and tough chewiness. Everything else was just meh.

1  Thank Octavia B
Reviewed 7 September 2016

Its a small restaurant which you could almost miss. My wife had beef livers and I went for the fish fry. It was one of the most delicious latin food we had in days. The quantity big as well. The food was very fresh.

2  Thank HarshadMethrath
Reviewed 27 August 2016

Who would expect to find great tasting Honduran food in the pancake, fried chicken and barbeque kingdom of Gatlinburg? But this place has it - but it takes a bit of effort to find it. The restaurant is attached to a small grocery store which has a large selection of Latin American food products and is really a part of the store. The dining room is very plain but comfortable and clean. Contrary to another reviewer's characterization, this restaurant is no "hole in the wall." There is good tasting Mexican food here but the real star of the show is the Honduran food prepared by the manager's mother who is Honduran (as is the manager) and does all the cooking. You don't want to miss the lady's cooking for it is superb. After the first visit, we came back from Knoxville for another round in a few days. As this was our first Honduran food, I have to say that it is different from Mexican and El Salvadoran cuisine. All these are a pleasure to eat but the Honduran dish we had was fajita-like with similar meat and shrimp contents but with seasoning that seemed to be different (and very tasty) as well as some vegetables (e.g. plantains) which are part of Honduran cooking. It just tasted so good!

The restaurant's location can seem hard to find but it's not really so. It is located at an intersection with a traffic light on the Parkway, just slightly in on the side street that comes down from the loop through the National Park. There is no big glaring neon sign that advertises its presence but the map attached to the TripAdvisor review page should get you there easily. Parking is in front of the store and there are about four spaces available. There seems to be no on-street parking in the vicinity though we didn't have to search as parking spaces were available both times we went.

Meals are in the $10 to $15 range and I think that's quite a bargain for both the high quality of the food and the large quantity of food served. There is a bar as well. The one waitstaff person (who also seems to be the manager) is very attentive and helpful.

3  Thank MaizeBlueVA
Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

Looks like a sketchy place, but don't be put off. It is not on the main drag, so it is really overlooked, and turns out, that is a shame.
This is the best Latin food in the area!
The ingredients are fresh. The salsa was excellent.
I had asada with fried plantains. My wife and son had chicken fajitas.
I'd never eaten plantains, but they were excellent and came with a cream dipping sauce. A tasty pairing with the asada strips.
My wife has done missionary work in Honduras and raved about the authentic flavors and how great the food is here at Estrella Hondumex.
On the way out we picked up some Mirinda sodas, which my older son fell in love with while traveling in the US Coast Guard, and a Bubu Lubu candy bar, which was recommended by a local couple I met while perusing the Latin store.
Friendly folks, great food, big portions.

2  Thank batcal