“A Great B&B!!!”

The Foxtrot Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 8 Gatlinburg B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at Foxtrot B&B recently for a weekend get away and I will tell you it was a great B&B. The accommodations are very comfortable and everything we needed was there for us. Shirley's cooking is amazing and Bob's conversations are very informative. They both made our visit pleasant and very comfortable. I feel they went out of their way to accommodate us. The view from the deck is breathtaking. We definitely recommend Foxtrot B&B and will definitely return to this beautiful, relaxing B&B. Kris H.

Room Tip: The Cherokee room was very comfortable for the two of us and very quiet. Next time we stay we will...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 11 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Foxtrot a few years ago on our wedding anniversary because we wanted to revisit the experience we had on our wedding night at Dickson's East Hills B&B (by the way I have to say East Hills is SUPERB, highly recommend - my parents live in Dickson though so when we visit, we just stay with them. No reason to go back).
Anyway, both the hubby and I are mountain junkies, visiting Gatlinburg and the surrounding area at least once a year. Before we bought our summer home on Kentucky Lake last year, we were going as often as 3-4 times a year, usually once a season, but now we save our mountain visits for the fall/winter months.
The Foxtrot had a curious and unexpected effect on me. It caused me to question my views on B&Bs, entirely.
In many ways, it is a fantastic place. Every breakfast prepared by Shirley during our 3-day visit fell into my "out of this world, one of the best meals I've ever eaten" category and that is saying a lot because I'm a food snob. I've dined at some of the best restaurants in the world. Seriously, folks, I've got 6 words for you: Paris, France and New York City, and I'm not exaggerating when I say her meals were so good that they were absolutely sinful. They really were. To her credit, Shirley's cooking was what kept me silent for a good three years. It was the only thing standing between me and this post. But even the most wonderful food in the world could not make up for the many downsides to our stay at the Foxtrot.
First, my husband and I arrived late. When I booked our room, I gave warning that we'd be late, but that did not keep Shirley and Bob from calling us, asking when we'd be there. I got the feeling that they were annoyed because we were late, but I decided to let it go. Once we got to the house, though, I was uncomfortable from the very first minute we set foot inside. Like many other guests have pointed out, we, too, were followed into our room. It was unsettling. Honestly, how do you tell the owner of the house you're staying at that you'd like him to leave?
Then there was the breakfast at 9 a.m. sharp rule. Here's the thing: I like to sleep late, especially when I'm on vacation for one purpose only: to relax. I've been to Gatlinburg more times than I can count. I've seen everything there is to see. I just wanted to be with my husband and have a romantic weekend getaway. It was impossible for that to happen at the Foxtrot.
We didn't mind the praying at breakfast - we're Christians - but obviously, judging by the posts left here, some people were bothered by it. I think, if I were the owner of the Foxtrot, I would point out that I have prayer with breakfast so people will know it's coming and expect it.
The lectures at breakfast were a mixed bag for me: on the one hand, I found some of what Bob talked about fascinating. On the other hand, there were times when I wished I could just talk to my husband but I felt like if I did, it would be a disruption and therefore disrespectful. It was very much like I was back in high school. It added to my discomfort.
By the end of that first breakfast, I had finally figured out why I was so unsettled in the house: it was because I felt like an intruder, not a guest. I felt like I was imposing. From that moment on, my husband and I stayed away as much as possible. He was just as uncomfortable there as I was. But, staying away ruined our "romantic" weekend. My high hopes for just hanging around, relaxing and being with the man I love went right out the window.
We shopped. We went to shows we'd seen before. And we tried to stay away from Shirley and Bob as much as possible. And, I felt really bad about it because they seemed like really nice people. I have no doubt that they are. But I felt really uncomfortable around them, like I was not entirely welcome in their home. Maybe if there were more than 4 rooms it would be different? I'm not sure. But, the whole experience did not sit well with me. It had such a lasting negative impact that my husband and I have avoided B&Bs altogether ever since. East Hills was an entirely different experience for us. But, we were in our own little cottage there. At Foxtrot, all the rooms are in the main house.
Again, I feel really bad for pointing a lot of this stuff out, but at the same time, as more time passed and I actually thought about it, I found myself becoming more and more upset with Shirley and Bob for ruining my vacation. I am a very busy woman and my husband is a very busy man. We both have careers and barely get to see each other during a normal week at home. We wanted romance and the chance to enjoy some beautiful views while snuggling, but we were denied that opportunity at the Foxtrot.
I had to share this experience because I don't want other people to go through the same thing we did. There are a lot of great reviews on here, so maybe how you experience a stay at the Foxtrot has something to do with the type of person you are, but I can tell you, if you're anything like me: a person who values personal space and spending one on one time with her spouse, DO NOT stay at this B&B.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank TrulyTennessean
Reviewed 12 January 2012

My first "live" interaction with the owners was over the phone, and it set the (bad) mood for my one-night stay. Shirley called at 4 pm to ask when we would be arriving, because they had an event at 5:30 pm. I thought that was completely unprofessional; I'm sorry but your social life is really none of my concern, and if I paid almost $300 for a night at your house, then you better be there when I arrive and not put pressure on us while we're driving up the mountain.
Anyway, besides that, I found them to be rigid and obnoxious people. Shirley barely said a word to my family and I other than to explain how precious the bed my parents would be sleeping in was and to be careful with it. I thought that was inappropriate, and that if the bed was so darn precious then put it in your own bedroom! Can you imagine being at the Marriott and being told to be very careful with their bed?
Also, as someone else mentioned, the praying in the morning was completely uncalled for. We are not Christians and we are not Americans. My parents felt very disrespected, and they even sensed the owners (the lady, in particular) might not be very fond of foreigners, but I honestly can't speak to that.
Now, to be fair, the breakfast was superb. What Shirley lacks in social grace, she certainly makes up for in her cooking. However, it was hard for me to enjoy the 3-course breakfast with Bob sitting there watching my every move. I felt like I was back in high school, having dinner at a friend's house over the watch of their disapproving parents. And what's with the 9 am breakfast rule?
This place has beautiful views and great food. However, the hosts make you feel like they are doing a great favor of having you in their house, and expect you to adjust to their schedule and preferences, not the other way around (as most successful businesses would). if you enjoy your privacy and are expecting warm, non-intrusive hospitality, be prepared for a rude awakening; staying at the Foxtrot feels more like an awkward sleepover at distant relative's then a relaxing vacation. Also, I would definitely stay away from this place if you are not a Christian and/or Republican.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
12  Thank mila603
Reviewed 8 January 2012

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay at the Foxtrot B&B, from the spectacular views, to the privacy provided by the room arrangements, to the wonderful couple who own and operate the place. Bob obviously loves to tell the visitors about their history, as well as the area history, and he reminded us of Garrison Keillor in his delivery.
Only negative I can think of is that the last 2-3 miles to get to the Foxtrot can be quite challenging. Once you get there, it will be worth it!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Thanks to both of you, Bob and Shirley, for making our time with you so memorable. Your hard work and diligence to the details did not go unappreciated. All of your touches added to a very beautiful experience. The rooms were exquisite and offered my wife and I the opportunity to relax, soak in the ambiance, and truly feel renewed.

Room Tip: The Chimney View Room had a separate "Living Room" with the attached balcony which offered...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gerry I
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gatlinburg
2.2 km away
10.6 km away
The Inn On The River
The Inn On The River
#2 of 92 in Pigeon Forge

Been to The Foxtrot Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK