“A good location and a warm welcome on arrival.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Gregory Hotel

BEST WESTERN Gregory Hotel
Ranked #25 of 69 Hotels in Brooklyn
Warrington, United Kingdom
“A good location and a warm welcome on arrival.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

With a 16 night stay, you do get the feel for a place. Check in is at 3-00pm and as I arrived early, they had no problem taking my bags for a couple of hours first. I have stayed in a few Best Westerns with varying degrees of satisfaction, rarely exceeding expectations. This one is typical, the room itself is clean, but in need of rejuvenation. The bed is large and comfy, however.
The bathroom is rather small, but functional; quite clean, if a little dated with an old shower unit.

A complimentary self service continental breakfast is available, which is slightly limited, but it is free! The bagels are particularly nice. A really good attribute of this hotel is the wifi. It is also free and high speed. Very good Skype calls were possible most of the time which was important for me as I was visiting from the UK and needed to speak to family. Bizarrely, they do charge for use of the room safe. At time of writing, $1-50 each night. You also have to carry the key around with you and there is a $35 replacement charge. Clearly, a digital locking system would be better.
There is a bar downstairs, but no restaurant apart from the breakfast area itself. I did try to drink in the bar twice and on each occasion, it had shut early, which was a pity.
Also near plenty of shops, restaurants and the subway, it is conveniently located nevertheless.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Ayr
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Great location for my purpose (a funeral). Room adequate. Hotel charges for use of the in room safe. Clean enough and quiet.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Utica, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

We stayed at the Best Western Gregory to visit a friend in Bay Ridge to celebrate her birthday. Our #1 reason for choosing this venue was for pure convenience in location to her home. So for that reason, this hotel "served its purpose". It is a good hotel, with the basics. The hotel's lobby is a little misleading in comparison to its rooms. the rooms are dated, with dated decor, furniture and worn carpets. the bathroom is also dated, with minimal towels provided. With that being said, all of this is clean which again is the "serving purpose" comment. It is not upscale by any means, but basic, clean, roomy and if you are not snooty....comfortable. We enjoyed the free wifi which was easily accessible. We skipped breakfast which is basic continental, and the coffee is not good at all. But we stayed there to visit a friend so it "served its purpose".

WARNING: We checked in super late the 1st night around 4:00 a.m.. Knowing we were going to be so late we called TWICE to notify the desk, one of which was the night before our arrival. We advised the desk attendant who told us her name, noted our late arrival, said she would see us the next night and to have a good trip. When we arrived (no valet parking late night, you are on your own BTW), she told my fiancee that she "just gave our room away" (with no vacancies) and "didn't think we were coming". This is the SAME person we spoke to the night before. Horrified she did so, after we reminded her we spoke to her the night before....she actually called up to the couple she gave the room to and asked them to vacate the room immediately Luckily these people were kind and left. We then had to wait for same desk clerk to go and check out the room for us (they didn't have long in room.... only minutes). I cannot imagine what a pain it would have been if we did not get our room and the fuss we would have to go through. For this reason I would say the customer service aspect needs serious improvement in this venue. The rest of our stay was fine...honestly, we question the sobriety of mentioned desk clerk. Such a shame. 2nd WARNING: You are charged with a "safe usage" fee whether you use it or not. We did not and still were charged. They kind of nickle and dime you here.

So the room served its purpose. Unfortunately it is the only "nicer" venue in Bay Ridge. I would like to say I would stay elsewhere on our next visit...but we will probably gamble again and stay here because there is no other quality/better choice for the location we want in Bay Ridge. If you are going to go just to sightse in NYC...don't stay here..go to Brooklyn Heights region which is gorgeous NY, or stay in Manhattan.

Room Tip: If you are arriving late, be sure to notify the desk before your arrival, and take the name of the p...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I booked this hotel online for two nights as it was close to an event we were attending. We had decided to stretch out the event and spend a long weekend in the Big Apple. I have stayed in many urban hotels before and was very pleased with my experience at this hotel. We arrived and were given a room on the 2nd floor, which turned out to be the smoking floor - and it is very smokey. My daughter was already coughing by the time we got into the room, and so I went and asked to be moved. I didn't have the option of choosing a non-smoking room online.
The front desk staff were gracious and accommodating, even though the hotel was pretty much full for the weekend, they moved us. The rooms themselves are a bit worn, but the bedding is new, the bed is very comfy and the hotel is very clean.
We were transferred to a room on the 4th floor, right across from the elevator. We went to bed early both nights, because of early morning starts, and we had no problems with noise at all from other guests, or in the hall.
The parking was convenient and worth the $25 fee. There are no in and out privileges, but there is plenty of street parking around for stops in and out. We only had our car valet parked for the night when were back to stay, so that worked out fine. I was in Ottawa four times in the past three months for business, and the hotels charged about the same per night for parking, except it wasn't valet and so I was able to come and go (although I didn't end up going in and out) so the price was pretty much in line with other urban/downtown areas.
The free breakfast was served in a nice, clean, bright area, with waffle makers, bagels and bread for toasting, juice, fruit, yoghurt, coffee, tea, pastries and cereals. The staff kept the breakfast well stocked and the tables clean. The coffee was good and the bagels and the waffles delicious. I did notice people (including two young girls maybe 5 and 7) were stocking up on food for later in the day (the little girls admitted they were taking the FOUR plates of pastries and all the yoghurt that was there, for the ride home to Virginia..nice), which always irks me as this is the kind of behaviour which drives down the quality of the food provided, and the prices up, but what can you do - cheapos will be cheapos.
I needed to go out in the evening to find some children's tylenol and the front desk staff were helpful. I passed three staff members on my way out of the hotel and each one warned me that it was raining - this is the kind of service and attention to the needs of guests that I really like, especially since I do travel a lot for business and pleasure.
The neighbourhood where the hotel is located is really central. You are a five minute walk away from everything you need - a 24 hours pharmacy, a few good coffee shops, some ethnic restaurants, and even some cheap souvenir stores....and the subway!!!! If you are fearful of urban downtown centres, the occasional panhandler, or a bit of hustle, then you should stay in a hotel close to the airports, where the parking is free, and so are the bedbugs, but for me, this was the perfect place for our weekend of fun in the city and I can't wait to come back next time, probably next month, for another stay.

Room Tip: If you are a non-smoker, definitely ask for a room on the 4th floor. The smell of the smoke from the...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Anna67
Silver Spring, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I've never looked for accommodations in Brooklyn before. When we stay in the NYC area, we've always stayed in Manhattan. This time, however, we had an event in Brooklyn (dance competition) and so we wanted to stay somewhere not too far away from that event. We also hoped to economize and save a bit of money.

I selected this hotel based upon TripAdvisor reviews, although it was clear that there wasn't much to choose from in Brooklyn in general. And I must say that we do try to lower our expectations a bit when we travel to tne NYC area -- we understand the "big city" is different.

The term "okay" is one of those words that is overused and not very descriptive, but I am hard pressed to come up with a different word.

PLUSes:
* Management was very responsive when I sent a pre-arrival e-mail asking about parking specifics.
* Beds were comfortable
* Continental breakfast was acceptable. Make-your-own waffles, cinnamon rolls, bagels, juice, etc. Area seemed clean.
* Check-in staff was pleasant.

MINUSes:
* Lobby area smelled of cigarette smoke (as though folks were smoking right near the entrance), but not the end of the world.
* Hot water in showere went on and off -- half my shower was a cold one. ugh.
* Pricey -- paid almost $200 when factoring in all the taxes and fees, and one night of valet parking.
* Carpeting in room seemed dingy and unpleasant.
* Check-out person pushed a rating form to me and said "fill this out while I blah blah blah" (I think go to request the valet bring our car). She made it seem like a requirement. I told her no, even though she had made it seem like I didn't have that option.

All in all, it was an okay stay. We needed a place to lay our heads. We got that.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family