“Wowowowowow!!!!”

Libertador
Ranked #1,028 of 6,664 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: Argentinian
Reviewed 26 February 2017 via mobile

I felt like I had returned to my favorite restaurant in Argentina! The small but oh so satisfying pleasures of a perfect meal in a charming locale. We had skirt steak (sublime), tuna carpaccio (a must have), delectable burrata and of course, those amazing empanadas. We plan to return soon...to sample the yummy lamb chops at the neighboring table. Libertador aims to please and succeeds absolutely.

Date of visit: February 2017

Reviewed 6 January 2016

In this former delicatessen with expansive bar, brick walls and original wood floors and homey, welcoming ambiance, we enjoyed a lovely and intimate New Year's eve with our friends who live around the corner from this marvelous restaurant with courteous, congenial, expert and unobtrusive staff. The appetizers of octopus and shrimp were fresh and tasty. Our entrees of grilled salmon, chicken and butter-like steak with salads and vegetables were perfecto! At midnight no one complained that we were still finishing our wonderful desserts. In fact, on the bar counter silvery, sputtery candles were lit and our waiter brought us four flutes of sparkly, chilled champagne as a generous gift. Before leaving we used and admired the cozy, unisex bathroom with pull-chain old-style toilet, recessed brick alcove in which a candle burned and two photos of the three stooges. What a special way to ring in the New Year!

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed 25 October 2015 via mobile

We started with an assortment of homemade empenadas and the provoleta, which were wonderful. Then we enjoyed the mixed grill platters with frites provençals. We loved this restaurant and the tasty Argentine specialties. We would have loved to try the panqueques and poached pear for dessert but simply had no room after our great meal. Looking forward to returning!

Date of visit: October 2015
Reviewed 6 October 2015

I don't usually review restaurants, and I'm not all that familiar with Argentinian cuisine, but I felt compelled to write this one because Libertador is THAT good! By far the best Argentinian food I've ever had, and one of the best steaks I've had at any restaurant, ever. The baked empanadas (we had the black bean and the onion/mozzarella) are incredible - not greasy at all, and not exactly like the empanadas I've had elsewhere - far, far better.

Both my dinner companion and I had the Filete De Carne and it is just - wow. One of the best beef entrees I have had, and I eat out quite a bit.

I've only been to the Brooklyn location, which is small and charming and has a few tables outside. The service is very attentive, though our meals took a while to arrive. It didn't matter - it's such a pleasant place and the food was well worth waiting for. They have an extensive list of specialty cocktails which sounded very interesting when we looked at them on the menu and that were okay but nothing special. The rest of this restaurant, from the space, atmosphere, and mostly the food is spectacular.

Date of visit: September 2015
Reviewed 1 September 2015

We were led here by friends who had recently discovered the place. It's a welcome addition in a neighborhood that has too many dull and over-priced restaurants. The food is much better and more interesting than the standard Argentine steak house fare. The service is amiable and careful without being fussy. (Bringing tastes of four different wines goes far beyond the call of duty!) All in all, a good place to find with a wide-ranging menu, not just steak and chops.

Date of visit: August 2015