“Disappointing, I expected more”
Review of Saul at the Brooklyn Museum - CLOSED

Saul at the Brooklyn Museum
Price range: US$ 31 - US$ 50
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Take the 2 or 3 to Eastern Parkway/Brooklyn Museum. Transfers to the 2 and 3 are available from the 4 and 5 (at Nevins Street) and the B, D, Q, N, R, and LIRR (at Atlantic Avenue/Pacific Street). See a subway map. Current MTA construction projects are leading to frequent changes to 2 and 3 service, particularly on the weekends. Please check MTA
Description: Located in the Brooklyn Museum, The Norm is a purveyor of casual dining from the esteemed Chef Saul Bolton. The Norm at Brooklyn Museum is a restaurant concept inspired by the cultural diversity of Brooklyn. Led by Michelin-starred Chef Saul Bolton, the menu encourages a gastronomic exploration of the borough’s multi-cultural heritage, incorporating Indian, Mexican, Japanese, Middle Eastern, Caribbean, Indo-Chinese and all-American elements. Designed by Anda Andrei, Bonetti/Kozerski Architecture and Design DPC, the space is inspired by the museum's maze of secret and mysterious storage spaces. The restaurant affords guests the opportunity to experience the institution in a completely new way, with a sense of being admitted into the museum's inner sanctum. Patrons are surrounded by priceless paintings from the museum's collections and the crates that store them. The artworks reference different eras and cultures, and are hung in no particular order, as though awaiting their turn to be showcased in an exhibition.
Reviewed 15 August 2015

I was looking forward to visit the Brooklyn museum and to have lunch at Saul's restaurant. I made a reservation on open table expecting a busy lunch crowd.

ATMOSPHERE
The place was almost empty. Only about 3-4 tables were occupied at 1:45 pm when I arrived. Same during the 2 hours I spent there. This was a big disappointment. There was no atmosphere to speak of. I understand the restaurant has no control over how many people show up for lunch, but something was missing, There was no background music, no attempt to create an atmosphere. This would be especially important when the place is empty like this time, there is no natural crowd noise. I felt like sitting in an empty cafeteria.

DRINKS
As soon as I was seated I ordered a glass of Rose, the only Rose wine on the menu sold by glass. It was sold out. I ordered a glass of Sancerre, also sold out. There are only 7 white wines on the menu. Not a very good first impression. If Rose is so popular, as I was told by the waitress, why do you have only one brand? How about carrying more of the only brand you have on the menu? I would expect better planning from a high end restaurant like Saul's.

FOOD
This being a restaurant week (month) they had a special prix fixe menu but I ordered a la cart. Charred Spanish octopus as appetizer and the Maine diver scallop as a main dish. The roasted cauliflower accompanying the octopus was too vinegary. The scallop was tasty, but the coconut couscous, grapefruit, Campari was blend. The portions were adequate, both the appetizer and the main dish.

Overall experience was disappointing. Not sure what the hype is about, but I am not impressed, I expected more.

Reviewed 4 August 2015

Excellent restaurant in the lobby of The Brooklyn Museum. Pricey but a treat! Varied menu with a continental flair!

Reviewed 29 July 2015

This is a pretty good place to grab a bite. The best thing it is here and reasonable. Although not gourmet they are caring and try hard to please. THe hummus is excellent however and I have enjoyed it the several times that I have been here.

Reviewed 3 July 2015 via mobile

A great quiet place with REALLY excellent food in the museum. The only negative is slow service even at a weekday lunch in an uncrowded room. The food is so good I will stick with 5 stars.

Reviewed 4 June 2015

I was pleasantly surprised with the upscale caliber of this restaurant. Their wine list offered a nice variety and the chef's samples were rather tasty. I had the grilled (or maybe it was broiled) octopus. It was cooked to perfection. A little pricey but not at all displeased with the experience.