“Much improved from last experience.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
JANELLE'S CARRIBEAN RESTAURANT
Ranked #2,971 of 5,462 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: Caribbean
Reviewed 29 May 2015

As you can see, this is my second review for Janelle's. I wasn't sure that I'd come back after my first disappointing experience there, but my friend was hungry and didn't nowhere else in the area looked welcoming enough to my friend. My friend had the curry chicken and mac 'n' cheese and I had the fried fish and chips dinner (we both had sorrel drinks, which were amazing). My friend enjoyed his chicken and the mac 'n' cheese had a lot of promise (it needed a little more salt, though, in our view). My fish and chips were very, very good. I especially liked the sauce that came on the side. Not to mention, my fish and chips dinner was very reasonably priced (actually, it was pretty darn cheap).

I'll likely be back, if only for the fish and chips.

Note: the was one waitress, so the service wasn't the best. Still, not too bad all in all.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for JANELLE'S CARRIBEAN RESTAURANT

Reviewed 11 April 2015 via mobile

I went last week end ! We waiting for 1 hour for pur dishes! But when we got it we where surprise ! The food is defenetely good !

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Passed by this restaurant and after looking through the open windows i had to go inside. On checking the reviews i must say that this person was spot on with everything but way off with the food. I had appetizer crab cake with a tamarind sauce it was to die for. For dinner i had the Oxtails and then i was in heaven. Well seasoned and juicy with the meat falling off the bones tender just the way i like it. Had my favorite drink sorrel could taste the freshness and spices. Truly if you have not visited as yet .......missing out on one of the best.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Janelle looks like an amazing place on the outside. Walk inside, and you are greeted by a friendly staff and are promptly serviced. Service is no problem. If not for the generally pleasant service, I'd give this place one star.

My problem is with the food itself! While not inedible, the food doesn't have the authentic Carribean flavors I'd expect from a self-styled Carribean restaurant. I tried the curry goat and rice. Having grown up on curry goat, I know good curry goat from bad. Janelle's had bad curry goat, at least when I was there. The flavors were off and the meat tasted old. Seriously, you'd find better curry goat at a Golden Krust, which is a chain Carribean restaurant. I'd give the place a second try, but the relatively high prices do not justify me taking the risk of being served another bad meal.