“I'd be here a few times a week if I could!”
Review of Ghenet Brooklyn

Ghenet Brooklyn
Ranked #572 of 5,841 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Price range: US$ 15 - US$ 35
Reviewed 12 February 2018 via mobile

I've been coming to Ghenet for years, with friends, for parties, and by myself. I've had Ethiopian food in Nairobi, Kenya; Kigali, Rwanda; Cape Town, South Africa; Boston; Iowa; and at other restaurants in New York--sadly not in Ethiopia YET--and Ghenet continues to rank as one of my favorites!

In addition to the delicious food, the space is simple and classy and the staff is very friendly and accommodating. Hannah, the owner? manager?, is warm and kind.

Food-wise, there's something for everyone: carnivore, vegan, gluten-free, et al. My favorite dish, by far, is the mesir wett (spicy dish of lentils in berbere). I also love the aterkek aletcha (mild split pea dish). Luckily, they offer combinations, so you can enjoy multiple dishes. FYI: unlike some other Ethiopian restaurants, their shiro aletcha and shiro wett (bean dishes) are smoothly pureed--nice flavors, but personally not my favorite consistency.

For those who are gluten-free, low glycemic-index, etc., teff-only injera is available and delicious (and apparently protein-packed). It's not quite has fluffy as their regular, wheat-added injera, but I think it has a nice slightly sour flavor that complements the food quite nicely.

In addition to Ethiopian wine (Tej), they have some decent reds, whites, and rosés from the U.S., South Africa, Australia, and Spain. They also have some interesting cocktails (my favorite of the ginger apple martini, which I order without cranberry juice). There are a few beer options as well (including two Ethiopian beers).

I highly recommend!

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

I was with a group of four and we ordered a “sampler platter” that offered many different taste experiences. If there are several of you, that is what I would recommend. The “cabbage/carrot” veggie was delicious as were both of the chicken sampling’s on the platter. I also thought the “hot beef” was really tasty. Now the odd thing about this restaurant is that you eat the food with your fingers....seriously.....you are given bread that is similar to the consistency of “crepes” and you simply “dig in”. There were may different individual plates on the menu....so don’t think you have to order a group lunch. It was a fun time with good friends and I would return....but probably take a plastic fork with me. (Never though to ask if they had silverware!). PS: Ethiopian Beer is GREAT! Highly recommend.

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

We were four people with varying tastes/diets. For the 2 of us who are Vegan, it was so good and fresh and widely spiced from sweet to spicy. Ethiopian food is quite filling and satisfying when made well.

Reviewed 4 June 2017

The food was really delicious and came in good portion. The best deal is to order the combinations as you can try different dishes. They are all good!

Service wasn't the best as the waitstaff seemed to forget about us and we weren't any given napkins, which were necessary as it was messy eating with your hands only.

Reviewed 30 November 2016 via mobile

I enjoyed the food, the service was cheerful and fast. We had a combination for 2 people and a bottle of rioja. Price average. Suggested