“Affordable, comfy & great location”
Review of The Sofia Inn

The Sofia Inn
Ranked #13 of 56 Brooklyn B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Affordable, comfy & great location”
Reviewed 30 November 2011

As a lone female traveller, the Sofia Inn was perfect for me. It was in a great neighbourhood (Prospect Heights), a quiet and pretty area with lovely streets and an amazing museum, fantastic park, botanic gardens and an enormous public library just half a kilometre away, and the lovely Park Slope area on the other side of Flatbush Avenue. The inn is located 4 or 5 houses east of Vanderbilt avenue with its hipster restaurants, cafes and bars and practical services such as laundrettes, drycleaners and supermarket. Flatbush Ave has 24 hour drug stores and doctors' rooms. The 7th Avenue subway entrance is actually on Park Place approx 300 metres west of the Sofia Inn on the corner of Flatbush Ave, and it takes you along the Q line into Manhattan (over the Manhattan bridge with its great views) and north along Broadway, which is very handy. The 4 & 5 line takes you into Manhattan along Lexington Avenue from a stop on Vanderbilt Ave at Grand Army Plaza, which is also very handy, but you need to note that this stop is missed when the express train comes back from Manhattan. The Sofia Inn itself is somewhat faded and creaky, but the West Room in particular is very nice, with a gorgeous bed and plenty of room. I also stayed in the North Room which was nice in a different, more old-world Victorian way, but it had a small hard bed and no full-length mirrors in which to check your look before going out. It has a great shower in the shared bathroom, though, and lovely views of the street. The only drawback of the inn is the proprietor, who is a grumpy, suspicious man who appears to have mysteriously landed in the world of hospitality. On my second day, he barged into my room and told me I wasn't to remove appliances from electrical sockets in order to use other appliances, and I explained that my hairdryer did not work in the other sockets. It turned out that a fuse or something had blown, but there was no apology from him, nor did he explain why it was bad to remove the appliance from the socket anyway. I heard him say to the maid one morning when I popped in to collect an umbrella after a breakfast out, 'No, she's still here,' in a weary voice, and I knew he was talking about me! All in all, though, the comfort, position and value for money was worth the hassle of dealing with him. Unlike others who have posted here, I had no problem with the security.

Room Tip: Avoid the North Room if you like soft or large beds or need to check what you're wearing.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Margie091
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We just returned from a 5 day trip to Brooklyn and spent 4 nights at the Sofia Inn. Our party consisted of 3 adults and we stayed in the Parlour Suite. It was a perfect fit for us. The queen bed was very comfy. I believe the other rooms were occupied when we were there but we rarely heard any other guests. We enjoyed the kitchenette and dining area where we had breakfast every morning. There is a nice little deck off of the kitchen but we didn't have a chance to use it. The backyard looks like it is being redone at the moment. The location is close to a couple of subway lines, which makes trips to Manhattan easy. There is a supermarket around the corner and a several restaurants nearby.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
seattle washington
Reviewed 7 November 2011

A very disturbing incident occurred with the proprietor of the Sofia Inn when we stayed there. I had to call the police for assistance.

After we checked out and were walking down the block, he ran after us in the street and demanded an additional $90. (I had paid him the remainder of my bill in cash and gotten a written receipt from him attesting that our bill had been paid in full.) Upset, we asked him why he was now changing the amount. As we tried to get on with our trip back (it was pouring rain and we were pressed for time), his behavior took an extreme turn: He grabbed our rolling suitcase and blocked the sidewalk in front of us, physically preventing us from leaving, and began screaming that we had stolen from him (apparently referring to his own bookkeeping).
We were very frightened (we were a party of women and children). We called the police three times during this incident. Finally, after the dispatcher could not give us an estimate as to when a patrol car would arrive, we gave the proprietor the money. (He did not release his grip on our suitcase until we had done so.)

Still shaky when we got home later that night, we found an e-mail from him apparently written shortly after the incident claiming that we owed another $13!

Unrelated to this incident, we also had a security problem during our stay. On the second day, when we returned to the inn, the proprietor was not present. We found a note taped to the front door addressed to my sister, who was checking in separately. The note-which was clearly visible from the street--said that her room key was "under the flower pot."

Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank periwinklecat
Thesofiainn, Owner at The Sofia Inn, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
We follow guests to the street for two reasons only--if they have forgotten something (a phone charger, for example) or they have not paid the balance on their bill. Because virtually all guests at the Sofia Inn have been friendly and honest, we have, in the history of the existence of this inn, followed a guest to the sidewalk for payment exactly once. In the extremely rare event that a customer tries to leave without paying, we would never physically restrain them. We love our guests and want them to return--that is why we enjoy offering hospitality in Brooklyn's hottest neighborhood at extremely competitive rates. I regret that in the single case of a guest leaving the inn without paying the full balance we embarrassed her, but in order to collect the balance we felt we had no other choice.
perryville, kentucky
Reviewed 2 November 2011

We were there at the end of October. Stayed in the Garden Suite which looked nothing like the pictures on their website. The building itself had nothing on it to indicate that it was a bed and breakfast and when we rang the doorbell some guy answered the door with a phone to his ear and said he couldn't talk because he was on a "business call." I was so incensed I wanted to get another room at THAT point but my husband insisted we "give it a chance." The "Garden Suite" had a concrete patio that was shabby and messy and there was a yard that was in shabby disrepair and dirt everywhere. We were told by the housekeeper that they were redoing the backyard, in which case I feel we should have been told this on booking the room and given a reduced rate. The entry way into the "suite" was down a long dark funky hallway with toilet paper rolls on top of a ratty table, sheets and cleaning cloths and cleaning implements (brooms, mops) were in an open closet beneath a stairwell.....very sketchy. The "art work" was very weird. Hanging next to the bed was a large poster of a sponge, like from a biology class, and I can tell you looking at the weird diagram of the inner workings of a sponge were not something to go to sleep by, looking at the flagella and spindles and wormlike creatures. Who could sleep staring at that?! Then when you look up at the ceiling above your bed there are two little holes. Very suspect. I was so creeped out I did NOT want to dress in that room, much less have any intimacy! In the kitchen there was a table with a bottle of Sarasota Spring water that had some water in it. Was this some guests left over bottle that the maid forgot to throw away? Was it their version of funky art glass? What was it???? It just didn't work for me. The outdoor staircase leading to the front door was lined with dead or near dead plants everywhere - fall mums that should have heralded guests with color and anticipation, instead the whole effect was dreary and shabby and overall very creepy. For the money we paid for "the great location and the great neighborhood" and being sold on the pictures that were vetted on line, we feel we got robbed. I wanted to call the Better Business Bureau for false advertising but my husband wouldn't let me.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mary m
, Owner at The Sofia Inn, responded to this review, 30 June 2012
We are very proud of our vintage science posters--most especially our sponge. Like most of our guests, we consider them wonderfully interesting, friendly, thought-provoking artwork.
As for wanting to find fall mums growing in front of the hotel in November--it's kind of difficult to make anything grow--save evergreen bushes and trees--in November in Brooklyn. November can be cold here.

Many guests who've used the Garden Suite have loved, returning again and again. It has two bedrooms, a full eat-in kitchen, living room, private bath, free wi-fi, cable TV, and outdoor patio.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed 22 October 2011

This is our second time in the Garden Suite at the Sophia Inn so the establishment held no upfront surprises. Our rooms were on the lowest floor in which rooms are let, and was complete with a front parlor (with air conditioner), a generous middle bedroom (with obligatory TV), a largish kitchen/eating area, compact but not tiny toilet/ shower tub facilities and a back bedroom (which we did not use this time). The whole place is done with thoughtfully picked eclectic furnishings, many of which are from the middle era of the Brownstone house that embodies the Inn.

This trip was for my daughter's wedding which dramatically enough was on the same weekend that Hurricane Irene also visited New York. Billy, the owner manager, made some prudent provisions for the hurricane (sandbagging our lowest doors) and did not abandon his post through the entire adventure. We thus passed the Saturday and Sunday of the storm without mishap (even our car missed all the flying debris and falling tree branches, parked on the street away from obvious potential hazards)..

The Sophia is located in a nice part of Brooklyn with many eating establishments and the subway within easy walking distance. I have also have had no real problems parking nearby --but it pays to read all the street signs for no parking periods (New Yorkers love to sweep their streets and God help those who stand in their way).

At the Sophia, there is an expectation that you tip your chambermaid for her efforts, so be prepared for this small extra expense.

The Sophia is a great alternative to a chain hotel and its placement provides for a good Brooklyn experience.

Room Tip: There is some variety in the room types, ensuite facilites offered.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple