Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields
Review Highlights
Wonderful & Wholesome Experience

Friday evening I gave Mary a call to see if she could accommodate my wife and I the next day... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
ChrisGina174
Amazing Experience

The tour was wonderful! Mary is such a sweet woman. We loved hearing her stories and getting to... read more

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
mmsocha18
Lawrence, Kansas

All reviews snails kitchen table amazing woman sled dogs log cabin children's books brownie life story sod roof cookies fascinating stories lovely home yukon quest iditarod race living legend personal visit lovely morning
Reviewed 29 December 2017

Mary is a very very nice and lovely person. The tour is so pretty, Mary shared all her amazing and interesting traveling life making her a outstanding people. The dogs are so lovely and sweet i do not wanna to leave them.

1  Thank Zhilong P
Reviewed 29 December 2017 via mobile

We visited Mary’s lovely house and her dogs a day in our 6-day-trip. Smoky was the cutest “doorman”, who welcomed us when we arrived. Dogs were big, delightful, and friendly. Mary was a talented writer, brave adventurer, and great storyteller. It was joyful when we sitting around her having tea and listening to her awesome stories. She has been to many cold places like Canada, Russia, of course Alaska. Her lifestyle is truly respect to animals and nature. Mary said nature is her faith, which inspired me a lot.
BTW, Mary’s books are awesome and worthwhile to read.
Highly recommend spend a day with Mary and her dogs!

1  Thank Jasmine Z
Reviewed 29 December 2017 via mobile

I love Mary's tour Soo much! She has very nice dogs and very good stories! And very experienced at how to get stucked truck out of the snow lol. Very recommend!

Reviewed 28 December 2017

Mary is a wonderful, gracious and thoughtful hostess, I visited her home way back in early October, just before the snow arrived. I had planned to visit a dog mushing tour as there are a few tours advertised.

One of Mary's friends, Jane, owner of the Running Reindeer Ranch, Fairbanks, Alaska, recommended that I visit Mary. I never expected to be in a room with a true "gladiator"! Mary's talks of her adventures is so worth a visit!

The warmth and expertise Mary shared with us, there were quite a few of us, maybe 15 of us, crammed around her kitchen table, we had tons of questions, about her, about her trials and ultimate triumph. Yes, she had dogs and puppies running around. It was so much fun to learn about the dogs, about Mary's life on how she came to Alaska, her adventures with the dogs, and her current life in Alaska. She's truly a one of a kind, a unique figure exuding determination, independence, integrity, and a joy to visit. Bring your questions, she loves them!

Wear comfortable clothing and sturdy shoes that you do not mind getting dirty, the dogs are friendly and freely roam Mary's home. I would also recommend that you purchase Mary's books, all include fascinating information. I promise, people of all ages will enjoy Mary's speech, her video and especially, her cookies :)

On a side note, visit Denali Park... it is truly spectacular and well worth the drive The vastness & beauty will bring into clearer focus the terrain which Mary raced with her dogs. It is not for the faint of heart!

Reviewed 6 November 2017

I never write reviews. In fact, I procrastinated 2 months before writing this one, but I just had to tell others how amazing and fun it was to visit Mary Shields. As time goes by I start to forget what I did in Alaska or things that I saw, but I will never forget the feeling that I had after visiting Mary. If you want to really experience Alaska and find out why people live there and do the things they do, then this is the excursion that you must take. Whether you love dogs or not, you will be not be disappointed. Mary is a unique individual that you should take some time to be around. You will come away a better person for it. Mary is a beacon of hope in what is sometimes an overcast world.

1  Thank MikeGav55