“Amazing woman!!”

Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields
Ranked #2 of 64 Tours in Fairbanks
More attraction details
Owner description: I invite you to visit my home, when you come to Fairbanks. I can introduce to my big , friendly huskies, (incase you need a dog- fix while you're away from your own dog) and explain what it's like out on the winter trail camping at 30 ° below zero. I will compare the camping with the routine on the Iditarod and the Yukon Quest ( I was the first woman to complete the race back in 1974, the second running.) And I will share tales of the 1,200 mile dog sled journey in Siberia, the greatest adventure I've experienced so far. Of course you'll check out the garden and go in the cabin and have some home baked refreshments, (You may have seen the cabin on the Home & Garden show) I feel so lucky to live here and I love to share my life with travelers.
Reviewed 1 January 2018

Miss Mary is an amazing woman who welcomed us into her home to share her life story of dog mushing. She lead an incredible life but still remains humble. Her five Alaskan huskies will make you fall in love! They are all so friendly and so beautiful. This was by far one of our best days spent in Alaska.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
All reviews
in 25 reviews
"living legend"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 29 December 2017

Mary is a very very nice and lovely person. The tour is so pretty, Mary shared all her amazing and interesting traveling life making her a outstanding people. The dogs are so lovely and sweet i do not wanna to leave them.

1  Thank Zhilong P
Reviewed 29 December 2017 via mobile

We visited Mary’s lovely house and her dogs a day in our 6-day-trip. Smoky was the cutest “doorman”, who welcomed us when we arrived. Dogs were big, delightful, and friendly. Mary was a talented writer, brave adventurer, and great storyteller. It was joyful when we sitting around her having tea and listening to her awesome stories. She has been to many cold places like Canada, Russia, of course Alaska. Her lifestyle is truly respect to animals and nature. Mary said nature is her faith, which inspired me a lot.
BTW, Mary’s books are awesome and worthwhile to read.
Highly recommend spend a day with Mary and her dogs!

1  Thank Jasmine Z
Reviewed 29 December 2017 via mobile

I love Mary's tour Soo much! She has very nice dogs and very good stories! And very experienced at how to get stucked truck out of the snow lol. Very recommend!

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 December 2017

Mary is a wonderful, gracious and thoughtful hostess, I visited her home way back in early October, just before the snow arrived. I had planned to visit a dog mushing tour as there are a few tours advertised.

One of Mary's friends, Jane, owner of the Running Reindeer Ranch, Fairbanks, Alaska, recommended that I visit Mary. I never expected to be in a room with a true "gladiator"! Mary's talks of her adventures is so worth a visit!

The warmth and expertise Mary shared with us, there were quite a few of us, maybe 15 of us, crammed around her kitchen table, we had tons of questions, about her, about her trials and ultimate triumph. Yes, she had dogs and puppies running around. It was so much fun to learn about the dogs, about Mary's life on how she came to Alaska, her adventures with the dogs, and her current life in Alaska. She's truly a one of a kind, a unique figure exuding determination, independence, integrity, and a joy to visit. Bring your questions, she loves them!

Wear comfortable clothing and sturdy shoes that you do not mind getting dirty, the dogs are friendly and freely roam Mary's home. I would also recommend that you purchase Mary's books, all include fascinating information. I promise, people of all ages will enjoy Mary's speech, her video and especially, her cookies :)

On a side note, visit Denali Park... it is truly spectacular and well worth the drive The vastness & beauty will bring into clearer focus the terrain which Mary raced with her dogs. It is not for the faint of heart!