Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields

ChrisGina174
Amazing Experience

mmsocha18
Lawrence, Kansas

All reviews snails kitchen table amazing woman sled dogs log cabin children's books brownie life story sod roof cookies fascinating stories lovely home yukon quest iditarod race living legend personal visit lovely morning
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Friday evening I gave Mary a call to see if she could accommodate my wife and I the next day (Saturday), she was very communicative and tailored our tour and experience to exactly what we were looking for. We ended up spending most of the day with her, learning and talking about all of her adventures and accomplishments. We were treated with wonderful coffee, cider and fresh baked cookies along with her warmth and kindness. Her story is amazing and one worth hearing and learning about, her dogs were fantastic so well behaved and loving!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The tour was wonderful! Mary is such a sweet woman. We loved hearing her stories and getting to meet her dogs-they were so beautiful!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

What an exciting time! My husband and I had the opportunity to spend time with Mary Shields, the first woman to finish the Iditarod Dog Race and her beautiful dogs. Mary shares her love of dog mushing and her experience on the Iditarod. She is absolutely charming and her dogs are breath taking. Thank you!

Reviewed 2 October 2018

Tails of the Trails is fabulous and a great learning experience. Not only did we learn about Mary's tails of the trails iditarod experiences, but we were able to see in person how to use sod on a roof for insulation, medicinal and herbal plants that are able to grow in Fairbanks, and so much more. Mary Shields is a wonderful storyteller and hostess. She bakes cookies. Best part is her enjoyment with her dog team. They are trained and well-behaved. This tour is wonderful. It is exciting and personable.

Reviewed 30 September 2018

Mary was a great host! The one on one with the dogs and talking to her about her life was very relaxing.

Reviewed 27 September 2018

I could of listening to Mary for days.She was an insperation and I am still in awe of her.She should write her biography, if she isn't already, that is certainly a book I'd love to read.And (even though I'm in her bad books for being the proud human-parent of three tom cats) I loved the time spent with her dogs, I can't believe how friendly thet all were.Here's to you Mary and hopefully many, many years to come.Oh ,and those cakes you servered with coffee were gorgeous.

Reviewed 25 September 2018

When our Road Scholar trip included a visit with Mary Shields, I thought to myself "Well, that will be interesting." I had no idea how truly fascinating it would be. Mary and her dogs mesmerized us for several hours at our recent visit at her place. The stories of her experiences will capture the imagination---no embellishment needed. My husband and I enjoyed the whole time there, from seeing her garden to visiting with her wonderful dogs, each with its very own unique identity. What a lovely surprise the morning was for us--and for our whole group!

Reviewed 20 September 2018

If you do only one thing near Fairbanks to get a sense of Alaskan pioneer life this is it.
Most will think the dogs are the stars, but Mary will regale you with tales of her life while showing off her garden and the log home she and her husband built.
Highly recommended!

Reviewed 19 September 2018

Wonderful experience meeting Mary and her dogs. Would highly recommend to everyone. One of the best experiences we have had during our trip to Alaska.

Reviewed 18 September 2018

Mary was very sweet, interesting, and welcoming. She had the most beautiful huskies that we got to meet and pet. Her story was amazing and I feel lucky to have met such a formidable woman.