Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields
Review Highlights
Time with a Legend

What an exciting time! My husband and I had the opportunity to spend time with Mary Shields, the... read more

Reviewed yesterday
Cindy7874
Indianapolis, Indiana
Mary Shields is delightful and interesting

Tails of the Trails is fabulous and a great learning experience. Not only did we learn about... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Cat S
Albuquerque, New Mexico

All reviews snails kitchen table amazing woman sled dogs log cabin children's books brownie life story sod roof cookies fascinating stories lovely home yukon quest iditarod race living legend personal visit lovely morning
Reviewed 11 September 2017

What can we say about Mary Shields that hasn't been already said. My wife and I turned out to be the only two people on that day and it turned out to be one of the best experiences of our life. Mary is many things - a pioneer, a trailblazer, a champion. She is so passionate about what she does. We had a great time with the dogs - Smokey was my favorite but they were all so great. We also got to cuddle two super cute puppies who were just 10 days old. Later, Mary shared stories of her Iditarod race over tea and lemon cookies (which she baked herself). Her story is one of fighting against the odds and winning - something that will inspire us forever. Her passion for the sport, for the dogs, for nature is so strong, it makes you think about yourself. She was also kind enough to gift us her book and DVD. We left with so many lovely memories. Thanks for such a fantastic experience. I couldn't not recommend it more strongly. If you had just one thing to do in Fairbanks, it should be this.

Mary S, Owner at Alaskan Tails of the Trail with Mary Shields, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2017

Thank you for coming and sharing this experience with the puppies, the dogs, and the small joys of nature around my place in Alaska. As you return home, you carry about of Alaska now in your stories of this visit and your other adventures. Thanks for sharing with others. Warmly, Mary

Reviewed 10 September 2017

This was an excellent choice.Mary is so inspiring and tells such good stories.Her dogs are loving and funny.One of the highlights is when she gets the guests to howl and the dogs howl back!Her cabin is delightful and warm,the bathroom is clean,her cookies are delicious.Don't miss this!

Thanks for coming on my tour, I always enjoy a good howl with the dogs. Happy Trails, Mary

Reviewed 8 September 2017

If I could only do one or two things visiting Fairbanks THIS is a must. Mary was so welcoming we felt like company not customers. She gave us lots of up close time with her dogs and a great storytelling time in her home. Wow! Just wow!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Thank you form coming on my tour and sharing the puppies and big dogs. Happy Trails, Mary

Reviewed 7 September 2017

My girlfriend had surprised me with this portion of our trip and I have to say it was one of the funnest things we did in our trip to AK. The feel of meeting Mary and her beautiful dogs and puppies was very intimate and did not seem like a tourist trap like a lot of the other things in AK. Mary herself was wonderful and extremely personable. It was great to hear her story of the various races she has done and how interesting her life is. On top of it all we had the chance to just sit in her cute cabin and chat while enjoying some very nice cookies. I would highly recommend this as a part of your AK trip. I hope to get back up there sometime during the winter to get a chance at actually seeing the dogs in action.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Our time with Mary and her dogs at her home was truly incredible. Mary took so much time and care to sit down with us and share her story. We loved petting her dogs, holding the puppies and getting to know her and her incredible story. We both agreed that this was one of the most incredible, least touristy travel experiences/excursions we have ever done. I highly recommend a visit to Mary's place. You will be amazed and leave inspired!