“Average Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 42 Hotels in Fredericksburg
California
“Average Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

We spent one night here in April. The hotel was packed with families and students on field trips.

The Good:
Nice rooms.
Simple, but good, breakfast in the morning.
Location - close to freeway, if you're into that.
Free internet.

The Bad:

The swimming pool is about a quarter of the size of an average hotel swimming pool, so you can only imagine how crazy it got with all those families and students. Not inviting AT ALL.

The staff. When we first checked in were told there were no more cribs. About 10 minutes later I returned to make a fuss about it and they immediately told me that would get a crib from the hotel next store. 4 hours later, at 11 pm a crib finally arrives in my room. It was just irritating.

The pillows on the beds are these little squares, very similar to the size of a throw pillow. Not comfortable.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

I stopped at this property en route to South Florida. I had a number of issues with the room including a not so clean bathroon, inconsistent AC and lots of dust on tables and lamps. The problem was the four of us checked in late, my kids were tired and I called the front desk they seemed disinterested and offered to move my room. It was way too late my kids were sleeping and we had a number of bags unpacked. In the morning I headed downstairs to see the manager who put me in touch with the General Manager Ann T. I told her my concerns she said the front desk went above and beyond and offered to take ten dollars off my bill. To me this is an insult not the small amount but they way it was presented. Things proceded to escalte and she was looking for a confirtation. I said who do you report too? She said nobody. I said impossible please let me know. She them took out a generic hotels business card not hers and wrote the customer service number down.

I left while she was still arguing. I then went outside and called Comfort Suites customer service. Who seeemd to not care put me on hold and called Ann. They came back to me and said she told them they checked with us throughout the night to see how we wee and in the morning. Not true at all. She changed the story and forgot to say how she yelled at me in front of my family.

Whrn I got home I received a generic letter from Choice Hotels saying sorry you were unhappy too bad.

A few months back the CEO of Chioice appeared on the show Undercover Boss. As with most CEO's on the show when they get out in the field they are always shocked by the way customers are cared for. Well I suggest he take a look at this place on his next trip.

3 Thank Goose54
marlboro,nj
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

Stayed here while passing through en route to Florida. Found hair in unclean bathroom, air conditioner only worked on and off through the night and the worse part were the bugs flying over my head.

When we complained in the morning the incredibly nasty manger yelled at my husband (in front of our 2 little children) that of we had a problem we should have moved. I explained my 2 young children were finally sleeping and I hated to wake them to move them. She continued yelling and we walked out.

We called choice hotel customer service who left us on hold while they contacted property. The manager lied and said they called us constantly through the night to chane rooms and will not credit us for the night.

So basically stay away from thi property and be aware chocie hotel customer service is useless.

Once the holiday weekend is over I will file complaints with the bbb and the local health department over the incects!

• Stayed April 2012
6 Thank publsiher43
Omaha
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Our first experience with Comfort Suites started out quite well. The woman at the front desk was extremely pleasant and helpful. Unfortunately, once we arrived in our room we found out that our definition of "suite" differs from how Comfort Suites defines it. After going to the front desk we were told that we had the "Junior Suite." The front desk staff was happy to explain to us that while the description online states that there is a table and chairs in the room, the desk, rolling desk chair and chair in the "sitting area" fulfill that requirement.

Okay, so our fault for not verifying that the room is going to live up to our hoity-toity standards. We switch to the bigger room with a partial room divider.

There was a convention in town and we overheard some of the front desk staff talking about how they needed to make sure that everyone at breakfast had "tickets" since they were afraid that people staying in the nearby hotels would try to sneak in for breakfast since this Comfort Suites had such a good breakfast. Let me tell you.... I couldn't wait to try the breakfast that first morning! The description on the website is that the morning breakfast is "full of hot and delicious options"... this lead me to believe that I would have more choices than frozen, pre-formed egg patties with sausage links, cereal or waffles. Luckily, the last day we were there we did find the fresh fruit that was hidden in the opposite corner of the room from all of the other food.

There were some good points: The staff allowed my 6 year old daughter to use the pool later than the sign states when we arrived back later than planned one evening. The rooms are nice, just not what we were thinking they would be. Big bathroom, lots of counter space, microwave, mini-fridge, comfortable beds and quiet. The manager gave us some ideas of things to do in Fredericksburg one day, along with very detailed directions. So definitely not all bad, but if you're traveling with a child and prefer not to have to be in whisper-mode after they go to sleep I wouldn't recommend getting either of the suites that they offer here.

2 Thank Aimee O
bryn mawr, pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

Needed a place to pull over on my marathon trip south. It was 3 in the morning, and all local hotels seemed to be booked for a big Northern Virginia event.
Popped in to Comfort Suites, presented a coupon from one of those rest stop hotel coupon books, and Voila! 5 minutes later head on the pillow in a spacious, clean, well furnished room.

Shower pressure great, bed very comfy, and free breakfast in the morning before returning to the road.
All in all, a quite pleasant experience.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business