“Cut above the usual courtyard - but expensive”

Courtyard by Marriott Fredericksburg Historic District
Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed on a Saturday night in the off season. the hotel is fairly new and still very nice. It is a cut above most courtyards with a nice bar and cafe. We were greeted and treated well. The room was prepared, roomy, and clean. We requested a high floor and were given the top floor with a king bed (also requested and accommodated).

It is situated as advertised in the historic district with all of the shops and restaurants within easy walking distance. Parking is in a Garage or an open lot a couple of blocks away - which was fortunate since we drive an oversize vehicle. They will valet it for you for 10 bucks a day.

the only issue was an extra charge added to the credit card "authorization" when we checked in that didn't match the receipt, so we had to call the hotel to find out what the extra charge was. It was explained as an "extra charge in case we had some late charge or damaged the room" - huh? They promised that when the charge cleared it would be at the receipt amount (about 25 bucks less than the authorization. I'm not too sure about this practice, doesn't sound legitimate or necessary and it caused us to have to make the call. Wish they'd have told us that up front.

The rate was $179 bucks on a Saturday night off season. Seemed a bit excessive, but the only other options are B&B's and other specialty Inn's downtown.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank tchristian

Reviewed 15 February 2012

My wife and I stayed one night and were extremely impressed with the hotel in every way: location in Historic Area is unique, super modern amenities and design of lobby, nice workout room and pool (small but OK) and hot tub. Nice to order a meal from their menu, nicely prepared and good. Can't give a higher recommendation. Room was excellent, staff was super.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cleveman
Reviewed 30 January 2012

This really is a wonderful and unique location for a Marriott. If you are going to see Historic Fredericksburg you can't find a better hotel in a more ideal location. Not only do you get Marriott's high standards and comforts but you are dead center in the main historic part of Fredericksburg. The best restaurants and shops are within walking distance (you can probably see most of them from the hotel). I lived in Fredericksburg most of my life and have stayed in many of these hotels during my trips back to see family. This is by far the best. Wonderful bar and lounge area as well.

Room Tip: Get a room facing Caroline Street on the top floor as the view of historic downtown is worth it. The...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 January 2012

From the exterior this place doesn't look like much, but inside you find an exceedingly tasteful hotel that keeps on giving. The rooms have been very thoughtfully renovated to take advantage of simple but important innovations, such as: an outward curving shower curtain rod that keeps the curtain well out of your way, making the shower extra spacious; easy-to-find light switches on all lamps (and there are many lamps throughout the room); a beautiful wood table on wells that rolls out from the desk to be used for your meals. The room and lobby have the feel of a European boutique hotel. Somebody put a great deal of thought into this, and I wish other hotels would follow suit. If I knew where else the designer has worked I'd make those hotels my priority.

Cons: The hotel has no room service or parking. The hotel has a simple bistro which I didn't try, with sandwiches and cold/hot drinks. But the wiser choice is to eat at the restaurants nearby in Old Town Fredericksburg, and there are many slow food choices (see my review of Eileen's). You can park at a multilevel structure very close by for $8/day, and I think there is free parking a few blocks away, but parking curbside at the hotel is only for 2 hours. I looked at one room on the fourth floor and was disgusted by the cigarette odor. This is a smoke-free hotel but don't hesitate to reject a room if you smell smoke; they kindly put me in a charming room elsewhere and I had a wonderful stay.

Highlight: The shower was so pleasant I looked forward to my jogging just so I could jump in it.

Room Tip: If you don't like the room they give you ask for another. I saw 3 altogether, and 2 were excelle...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We stopped here on a trip down to Florida. The hotel is located in the charming historic distric within walking distance to many shops and restaurants. We had 2 adjoining rooms (both with king size beds). Everything was up to date and clean. We will definitely stay here again if we return to Fredricksburg area.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family