Inn At The Olde Silk Mill
US$ 119
Hyatt.com
US$ 87
US$ 85
All reviewsparlor suitesitting roombreakfast roomhistoric districtcookiescreaky floorsson's weddingsome great restaurantsbridal partywithin walking distancesmall fridgequeen roomrooms are smallantique shopschain hotelbeds were very comfortablenice room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 September 2011

We stayed at this inn four years ago and were so impressed that I had no hesitation in booking it again. In the intervening period the inn has changed hands and, as well as having new owners, the march of time has also made its mark.

Don't get me wrong - this is still a nice place to stay, but it really needs some investment to bring it up to past glories. A simple initial investment would be in some more pictures etc for the walls. I may be wrong, but I'm sure that on my last visit there was much more Civil War memorabilia on display, and I feel that at present the long, bare walls look rather drab. The public rooms have much more on display and, as a result, have a real charm about them.

Similarly, the family suites afford very comfortable and roomy accommodation, being two bedrooms with an adjoining bathroom. We were certainly very comfortable but one cannot help but notice that the decor is rather faded and in need of some TLC.

A continental breakfast is provided for guests and it offers a very good choice of cereals, fruit, yoghurts etc as well as bread, bagels and muffins. The hotel is ideally situated - being close enough to the town centre to be able to explore on foot, yet far enough away to provide peace and quiet. The people who run the hotel are helpful and very nice and I wish them well for the future.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2011

The Inn Keeper, Eddy, is fantastic - welcoming, friendly and relaxed - super family suite with bathroom between a double and twin room. Buffet breakfast - lots of choices in a homely breakfast room. Eddy came up with lots of places to eat - including the local ice cream parlour and a great steak house.

Rooms were clean and comfortable and quiet. A good place to stay, just on the edge of the historic area.

Room Tip: Family suite - lots of room.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2011

I sort of hate to give this place such a low rating, because the staff really was VERY NICE. However, that niceness did not make up for the fact that the room was very uncomfortable... not at all what you're looking for in a weekend getaway. We stayed in the King Edward room, and when we opened the door the first thing I noticed was the smell. The bathroom had not been cleaned since the last guests came, and when I went to complain all they did was replace the towels (when they should have gone over everything with bleach). There also was no plastic liner for shower curtain!--Just the fancy outside part, which had clearly started to smell from getting wet so often. The room was horribly ventilated, and while it was plenty cool from the window AC unit it felt still incredibly damp and stuffy. The hotel is also not as close to downtown Fredericksburg as you might think. It's across the street from a Hardy's... not exactly picturesque. Do yourself a favor and stay at the Richard Johnston Inn (a little pricer) or the Courtyard Marriott.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a soft bed. I hear some rooms have very hard mattresses.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2011

My wife and I were given a Weekend Getaway Trip as a Christmas Gift and we visited Fredericksburg in April 2011. Our Room at Inn at The Olde Silk Mill and the friendliness of management and staff were amazing. We were there on a pretty busy weekend and the Inn was pretty full. Our room and the amazing King Size bed were perfect. The Room was clean, the accommodations were just right and Ed at the Front Desk was very helpful in recommending places for lunch, dinner, and sightseeing. Not only will we be back, but we are buying a weekend getaway for our oldest daughter and her husband!
The Clays
Maryland

Room Tip: We looked at all the rooms online and selected Queen Mary Room. We heard King Edward Room is even nicer!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2011

As part of a living social coupon, my husband and I stayed at the inn and extended our stay by a couple extra days. The staff, especially Anna and Nancy, were very pleasant and knowledgable about the area. Our room, although not the room I had booked on line, was very comfortable. It was like sleeping in your Grandma' s bedroom. The bed originally appeared to be soft, yet once we settled in, my husband and I had three excellent nights of restful sleep. We would definitely choose this room again.The breakfast could use a bit more imagination, but the selection, though not homemade, was varied and the coffee was good. This was our first experience at a bed and breakfast type of establishment. We found the atmosphere of the Inn very quaint and we plan to stay there again when we re-visit the area.

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple