New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Beacon Inn 1750

Beacon Inn 1750
Ranked #6 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
Santa Monica
“Just Awful in Every Way”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

Bottom line: Dirty, neglected flop house with staff to match. There are a number of much better options in Brookine.

The Details:
I had stayed here about 7 years ago, and while it was a little questionable at the time I was willing to give it another try.

I made a reservation about a month in advance and called to confirm that my room was not facing the street (it was really loud the last time I stayed). We arrived late and the keys were left in the mailbox and of course.... they had put us in the wrong room (facing the street) but there was no one on site to address the issue.

The room was generally in ill repair what had once been quaint was now crumbling. The heat was overwhelming with no thermostat for control. The toilet was clogged and would not flush... before we used it!! I jumped online to find out if they were sold out (as an explanation for why they had put us in the wrong room). Turns out they had availability and were charging $50 less per night.

The next day I spoke to the "Assistant Manager" who clearly could not give a sh**. They game me plunger so I could plunge the toilet myself and they did move us to a different room (with the lame explanation that they were painting and could not check us in the night before because they did not want to expose us to the fumes--they have not painted anything in this place for at least 20 years!)

He also told me that he could not extend me the lower rate because I already made my reservation. He said that I could not cancel and the old reservation and make a new one because their cancellation policy would charge for my full stay under the old rate regardless.

The best part was that when I first came down to talk to him, he was training an employee over the phone telling them "ask the guest if they are having a good stay, if they say yes and you notice a consistent positive response, ask them if they will write a review on TripAdvisor."

Clearly this place is missing the point. Provide a great level of service and people would be happy to write good review. Don't take care of your property and treat guests like crap, they are going to write bad reviews -- don't try to game the system (which clearly they are not doing a very good job of anyway given the other reviews here).

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
White Stone, Va.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

Customer service has not been discovered yet by this horrible excuse for an Inn.
# different friends and our own experience prove this is a place to avoid at all costs. Maybe then, they wil learnhow to operate a hotel .

Room Tip: Simply avoid this place!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Brookline hotels

Falmouth, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

Don't be fooled by the pictures ... it's nothing like that. No chair to sit down on except a broken desk chair, broken tiles in the bathroom, no rugs on the floor, a shower curtain that doesn't even cover the shower opening, one little tiny lamp for the whole room, a broken-down dresser, bedding that still had the tags on it and was probably one of those "bed in a bag" bargains, small boxes of fruit loops for the "breakfast" with a couple of old bagels and muffins. No way to get anything to drink. No one watching the place overnight. Noisy - you can hear every conversation going on in the place. It was the worst B&B we've ever stayed in - it's not a bed & breakfast ... I don't know what you'd actually call it. But they sure do charge enough for the rooms and then ask you to pay another $20 to park in a dark alley behind the place packed in like a sardine. Don't go there ... find another place to stay.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this place ... you'll be terribly disappointed.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gmpsh
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

We had book this hotel with the possibility of having an extra bed. What we got is an inflated mattress that was deflated even before we arrive, and we're charge the extra $20 for additional guest in the room!

Total ripp off.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jpelland
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

In the spirit of self-disclosure, I must first say that I did not actually stay at the Beacon Inn 1750. Once I saw the condition of the room and experienced the shady business practices of management, I promptly left and booked another place to stay.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a more misrepresented hotel, inn, or bed and breakfast. Oh, and so you know, that's what they call themselves - a bed and breakfast. Because they give you a continental breakfast.

First thing they make you do is sign a number of documents that basically inform you that you will never get a refund from them. I wonder why they would make such a point to remind you that you won't be getting out of your agreement to stay there? All of this happens before they take you to the rundown room with peeling wallpaper, one too bright florescent light and one too dim nightstand lamp. Oh, and all hardwood floors - and not nice hardwood floors. Creaky hardwood floors with no rugs. The king bed has a dirty looking comforter on it with about four flat pillows. The whole place screams, "run for your life!"

Oh, and forget about parking. Most likely, they won't have space for you to park your car. But don't worry, they'll still charge you for parking. They just tell you to park illegally on the street (a street that doesn't allow overnight parking), and if you get a ticket, they'll pay for it. How nice of them! Oh, but they'll only pay for the ticket if you give them $40.

The Beacon Inn called me three times before my "stay," and each time, they asked me if I was still coming with one other adult (I was traveling alone for business and never indicated there would be two people), and if I would need parking. Each time, the response was the same. "Yes, I'm coming. No, it's just me. Yes, I need a parking spot." And yet they didn't have a spot for me.

Skip ahead one day. I left, booked another hotel, and had a wonderful nights sleep miles and miles away from the terrible Beacon Inn. I receive an email that the Beacon Inn refuses to refund me any money for my stay. "Tough luck," they say. "You signed the papers!" Right. I did. Before I saw the disgusting room. I signed expecting a normal, clean, well lit, comfortable hotel room.

And the parking fees? No refund there either. I payed $40 for parking that they were never intending on giving me anyway.

And to add insult to injury, they booked another guest for the night that I didn't stay. So they get paid twice, and I'm out well over $300. Great business practice, don't you think?

One word sums up the management style of the Beacon Inn: Unethical. Just try to give them a call to talk to management. You won't be able to reach them. The college girls they have working the front desk are well rehearsed: "I don't have the authority. If you give me the number, I'll ask the manager to call you if he decides to debase himself by talking to commoners."

I'm being a bit jovial with this review, but hear me on this: DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank jddamiani
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Allston / Brighton
Hotel Boston
Hotel Boston
#76 of 82 in Boston
Fenway / Kenmore
Residence Inn Boston Back Bay/Fenway

Been to Beacon Inn 1750? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK