“Affordable and very quiet”
Review of Longwood Inn

Longwood Inn
Ranked #5 of 11 Brookline B&B and Inns
Keansburg, New Jersey
“Affordable and very quiet”
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I come to Boston every year and i'm always looking for a cheap hotel in the boston area. Well for the price, this was the best place I ever stayed. The location is great and very quiet area. It is two blocks from the T and a couple blocks from alot of different stores to go shopping. If you ever stay hear you have to check out Otto's pizza. The hotel is very quiet inside and the people working the front desk was very helpful. The place has a kicthen if you want to cook your own meals and has a laundry room down stairs. I will be back to visit again. Paul E

Room Tip: If your a coffee drinker you have two walk a couple blocks to get a cup, or just bring your Kerig wi...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed 25 June 2012

My husband and I spent a very nice weekend at the Longwood Inn. It's located on a lovely residential street, just a few blocks from trendy Coolidge Corner (with tons of restaurants, bars, and other businesses). There's a very nice patio at the front of the Inn (with little tables and a pretty garden), a small terrace at the back of the Inn (with more little tables and a view of a park), and comfortable common areas (including a living room, large dining table, and fully-equipped kitchen).

Our room (#12 on the first floor) was right next to the office, with two beds (a double and a twin) and a private bath. It was small but clean and comfortable -- the beds had pillow top mattresses and there was a large TV mounted on the wall. The room was air-conditioned, but it was a window unit, which was a bit noisy. We were visiting our son, who lives in Jamaica Plain, so we didn't spend much time in the room -- the small room worked for us. Ours was a "standard room" -- the Inn does offer "superior rooms," which are probably larger. There's no elevator, so if you book a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor, you'll be carrying bags upstairs.

I do want to make two things clear: First, Longwood Inn is not a B&B -- they do not serve breakfast (or even coffee, although there is a coffee maker in the kitchen which guests are free to use whenever they please). The kitchen is available to all guests for cooking, micro-waving, and food storage (guests are asked to label food they place in the fridge or cupboards). Again, this was fine for us, since we had breakfast with our son both mornings, but if you're counting on an easy breakfast at your Inn, this might not be your place.

Second, this is not one of those friendly, welcoming Inns, with Innkeepers who will chat you up and give you a tour of the place. There's a large, glassed-in office at the back of the lobby -- you can see it right in front of you when you enter the front door. When we walked in, the gentleman in the office did not look up, nor did he look up as we walked across the lobby and approached the office. We knocked on the glass to get his attention, and he signaled for us to come on into the office. He was polite, but it was all business. He neither introduced himself not offered to show us around the Inn. Instead, he asked for payment for the second night of our stay and then handed us the keys and a Xeroxed sheet with information about the Inn (check-out time, kitchen "rules," parking, etc.). That was it. He wasn't rude, and we didn't feel "unwelcome," but it wasn't like other Inns we've stayed in.

The office area is manned from 9:00 AM until mid-evening, after which a list of phone numbers is provided (for emergencies only). There's a resident "night manager," who lives on the lower floor, but he was not there the weekend we visited. It wasn't a problem for us -- we managed fine on our own -- but if you're looking for the kind of service you'd find at downtown hotels (or the friendly, talkative Innkeepers you'd find at many B&B's) you might be disappointed.

Overall, the Longwood Inn is a well-located, comfortable, reasonably inexpensive place to stay in the Boston area. We would definitely stay there again -- thus the four stars. I do think the lack of service (including breakfast) is what has generated some of the negative reviews here. Just know what you're getting before you book a room and you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the Inn are quieter than the ones fronting on Longwood Avenue. The "super...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank cunning12
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed 18 June 2012

This is the best hotel I've been to in Boston. I travel from NYC to Boston 2-3 times a year, and the hardest part has always been finding an affordable, clean hotel.

This charming hotel was very quiet and comfortable. It was also impeccably clean, which is the most important thing for me. My boyfriend and I stayed in a room on the top floor, which was small and attic-like, but the soft wall color brightened up the room with the help of the sun coming through the window. The bed was comfortable, and they provide extra pillows and blankets, as expected. (plasma tv and Very high speed internet - I streamed Netflix!)

I thought I didn't hot water at one point, because I couldn't figure out how to work the shower, but the maid helped me out within minutes. The staff is incredibly friendly, and the check-in and check-out was incredibly simple (especially for our very late-night check, I was pleased that I could run to my room within a minute of entering the hotel)

This is where we will be staying on our visits to Boston from now on, and I highly recommend it for couples and families.

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor, which is probably quieter given that no one is walking above you, bu...
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I was unable to travel to Boston because my plane was cancelled due to weather. On the next day, my plane was cancelled due to mechanical difficulties. Even though I contacted the hotel, I was charged for the second night. I had missed my 45th college reunion.

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Judy L
123LongwoodInn, Manager at Longwood Inn, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
In late February Judy L booked a room through Expedia.com at the Longwood Inn for two consecutive days at the beginning of June.

After holding the room open for her for more than three months I received a notice from Expedia.com late on the day of arrival that the she would not be able to come that day due to unexpected circumstances. She wanted to cancel the first night but planned to come for the second, so I held the second night open and cancelled the first. This meant that I could not try to rent the room for the second night. On the afternoon of the second day I received notice that she would be cancelling the second night as well.

If someone cancels a room booked through Expedia.com I am supposed to receive at least 24 hour's notice of cancellation. Otherwise the guest is charged. I only got a couple of hours notice for each night. I told the people from Expedia.com that if the room ended up being rented to somone else for these nights I would not charge her. But I was unsuccessful at re-renting either. A couple of hours is not a reasonable amount of time in which to rent a room.

I am sorry that Judy L could not make it to her college reunion. It must have been a big disappointment. However, due to a lack of rooms I have been turning away many other potential guests for the last couple of months that also wanted to come to Boston for college reunions and graduation exercises. Under the circumstances I do not feel it fair that I should be penalized two night's rent because she could not get to Boston.

John Baer
Manager
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We were looking for a reasonable priced place where we could prepare our own meals. This is it. In walking distance from the center of Brookline and close to public transport.. Excellent service and a very friendly atmosphere.

Room Tip: There is one facility, nr 10, which has a kitchen, a separate bedroom and a very roomy sitting-eati...
1 Thank Chaim E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookline
Fenway / Kenmore
The Inn at Longwood Medical
Fenway / Kenmore
Hotel Commonwealth
Hotel Commonwealth
#8 of 83 in Boston

Been to Longwood Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK