“At Ease Lounge-- a Happy Hour Treat”

Eatery at the Grant House
Reserve with OpenTable
Eatery at the Grant House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 770 Restaurants in Vancouver
Price range: US$ 30 - US$ 30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fort Vancouver Way
Description: Located in the historic Grant House on Officers Row in Vancouver, WA, Eatery at The Grant House offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day of the week. Owners Scott and Sarah Flury believe the expanded hours and locally-sourced menu will set Eatery at the Grant House apart from other restaurants that previously stood in this space.
Reviewed 31 January 2018

I had intended to have lunch here, but ran a bit late for that. Lunch in the restaurant here ends at 3 PM and it was a quarte to 4 PM. The chap that seats people told me that although I missed lunch that the lounge was open-- it was happy hour and there are food items on the Happy Hour List. He told me to go right in and sit where ever I like.

I walked into the At Ease Lounge. It is to the left from the lobby. It is a very nice looking room with grerat vintage decor. Excellent period lamps. The bar was small and nicely stocked. I ordered a pint looked over the happy hour menu and added the Happy Burger. The burger came with fries. my bill came to about $21. The food and drink were excellent. And it was so good to dine in such an excellent room in an old historic Building.

I'll have to come back and eat a meal in the restaurant and drink in more of the great atmosphere this house has to offer. The music is very relaxing to listen to while you eat. The service was Excellent. The server was very friendly and very helpful.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

The Grant House, former military residence of General Grant serves lunch, brunch, and dinner in a lovely setting at the Fort Vancouver Historic Reserve. Had a weekday lunch of the most fabulous roast beef sandwich I've ever tasted. It was juicy and fresh. The cut of beef was very high quality. The service was fabulous! The setting was interesting. Include some extra time to walk after your meal. Fort Vancouver is a gem to see, exp!ore, and appreciate. My next visit to the Grant House will be to try their Happy Hour selections!!!

Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

Don’t let the 100+ year old officers home fool you, this relic of a restaurant is exceptional dining with marvelous service.

It’s warm cozy and delicious! The four of us enjoyed a fantastic brunch menu, including their Fried Chicken & Waffle with bacon butter - YUMM! Their lettuce wrap burger, their gourmet grilled cheese, soups and salads were all fantastic.

This is a terrific option for a charming change of pace from the local & national chain restaurants. Looking forward to our return visit!

Reviewed 2 January 2018

This review is based on New Year’s Eve four-course dinner, 2017.
First, I will say that we enjoyed New Year’s Eve last year at this location, so this was not a completely new experience - except management has changed, which we’d not realized. We have also eaten here on non-holiday occasions. New management is clearly trying hard, but so far, in my opinion, is falling short of prior management.

The four-course dinner menu was not especially pleasing if you don’t enjoy seafood. My wife mostly tried the vegetarian options, and they were good. I would not have enjoyed them, but I do like seafood, so it worked out. The food overall was delicious. The portions for the price were surprisingly small. In fact, we even heard other guests comment on this. In some markets, perhaps larger cities where gourmet meals are more prevalent, this might be more acceptable. For Vancouver? I will be surprised if this goes unnoticed. Here is what I received to eat for my $75 price tag: A stuffed mushroom (a surprise and not on the menu - it was cold and not sure it was supposed to be), two small salmon and caviar appetizers served on what looked like half-dollar pancakes, one scallop, a filet mignon slightly larger than a silver dollar on a thin layer of mashed potatoes that appeared mostly decorative, a chocolate dessert of slightly larger size, and the bill arrived with a chocolate truffle. When I made the reservations, I was told we would each also receive a glass of champagne as part of the meal. That did not happen. Instead we were offered custom martinis at $12 each, one of which was barely drinkable. I also had a glass of red wine - they chose for me, which was surprising after I asked for a menu - but they made a fine choice.

I have to admit, given that I mostly had protein to eat, the alcohol affected me very quickly! Some fresh bread would have been very welcome to help soak up the alcohol, and also, to help guests feel like they had a filling meal. We saw a group of big men who probably got about 8 bites of food, over all four courses. I am not suggesting they serve huge portions, and acknowledge most Americans tend to overeat, but this was on the ridiculous side. Again, bread, which would have cost the restaurant very little, would have been a great idea.

The New Year’s Eve decorations were nice. The staff was friendly. The owner/manager (?) came by a couple of times to make sure all was good, though didn’t do anything when it was clear we weren’t that happy with our drinks. My water was refilled once, and sat empty for about the last 15 minutes of the meal. The restaurant was also VERY cold. It warmed as the night went on, or maybe it was the alcohol warming me, but really, it should have been warm by the time guests arrived. I actually had to put my coat back on after we’d been sitting for about 15 minutes - and I am not normally a cold person. We tipped a customary 15%, as the staff brought the food in a nicely paced manner. Not sure what they could have done to earn a larger tip. Perhaps asked if all was good, but doubt with the small menu they could have done anything to fix it if we’d said it wasn’t, so maybe they chose instead not to ask. They could have refilled my water. The hostess offered to take pictures, and we took her up on that. As I said, most of the staff was quite friendly, but I didn’t feel like they had the power to actually “do” anything. I heard them tell other customers about things that were normally on their regular menu, but were not available tonight, so maybe other customers were not pleased with some of the options.

Vancouver has so few really nice restaurants - the kind you go to on special occasions. We won’t give up on the Grant House quite yet, but will definitely do more research and read recent reviews before going back. By the time we were done, we’d spent $250 and although the food was good, left feeling disappointed.

Reviewed 11 December 2017

The historical building and laid back atmosphere makes for a great feel when you visit. But, I thought the food was a disappointment for the price. I regularly pay this price for breakfast, but there was just nothing that lifted this food above average. My husband had a biscuit sandwich to which he added bacon for an extra $5, making a biscuit sandwich with egg, not much bacon, and potatoes expensive. Felt the same about my eggs, toast, sausage, and potatoes. Just nothing special for the price. The Bloody Mary was spicy enough, but the heat was from horseradish, which served to just bring on heartburn, and the vodka was not to be found. The setting is perfect, wait staff friendly and attentive, but the food just can't carry you into "fine dining". It's mediocre and overpriced and doesn't get my recommendation. Also, the bathroom was evidently pretty dirty, my husband walked in, right out again and insisted we just leave for home.