“Enjoyed my short stay”

Heathman Lodge
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 June 2012

When planning a trip to Portland last year, I planned to stay with family for 3 nights at the end of my trip. Well they decided to sell their house of 35 years and move into an RV. So I had to find something to do with myself for those other days/nights.

I was searching around and came upon the Heathmann. I decided to stay here one night, the night before I flew home out of PDX. It ended up being very convenient, next to shopping center where I spent a few hours in the evening.

Nice large room - plenty for little ol' me. My only compliant is that I could not find a map or info about the hotel anywhere in the room and was not provided one at check-in. I had to go seek out the pool/spa and the business center on my own. (If I had known about business center I could have checked in for my flight the night before and arrived running late trying because of dragging my suitcases all over looking for it.) I was having terrible back pain so I checked out the spa- it really wasn't very warm. I guess I could have mentioned it to someone, but I didn't pass back by staff on my way to my room.

All in all I would recommend this establishment.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Heathman Lodge

Reviewed 1 June 2012

This is my second stay at the Heathman Lodge. It is a great country-lodge style hotel, very rustic in a city slicker sort of way. The rooms are spacious and comfortable - the bed is comfy and provides a good nights sleep. Look for deals on rooms - I found a rate of less than $98 for a king room. The hotel attracts the business crowd, but would be great for a weekend retreat, too.

Room Tip: I stayed in a room that overlooked the lobby, and although I could hear some noise when I stood at t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank tlawish
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I stayed at the Heathman Lodge for a couple of nights during a business trip, securing a double queen room for $93/night with the AAA discount.

The lodge decor is rustic, but comfortable and clean. The lobby is far more "decked out" than the room, however -- at least my room, #103.

The first-floor room was fairly basic and there was little natural light. The room opened to a covered patio with a nice view of the wooded area and trail, but the room's location on the building's corner nearest to Highway 500 meant that road noise contrasted the otherwise peaceful setting. Road noise was audible in the room at all times of the day and most of the night; however, the noise was dampened by the sounds of frogs singing (croaking) during the night. Someone with worse hearing could probably get by alright, but a light sleeper would not be pleased.

Another downside was the room's location in proximity to the rest of the facility. The room, as well as a handful of others, was separated from the rest of the first floor by the conference rooms. It was a little unsettling to be so away from virtually everybody else, and a little awkward to pass through all of the convention-goers.

Overall, the room was clean and comfortable. I very much appreciated the Tempur-Pedic bed for a nice rest. I also appreciated the convenience of the mini-fridge and the second sink.

Every staff member I encountered was pleasant, warm and friendly -- from the folks at reception to the lounge waitress and the sweet waitress at breakfast. Regardless of the decor, the people are what make Heathman Lodge feel a little homier.

Other reviewers raised concerns about security in the parking lot. On the first floor, I had no view of the parking lot, but I did notice plenty of signs warning about leaving valuables in your vehicle. Also, there is little view -- if any -- of the parking lot from the lobby, as the shrubbery and trees block the view. Before my trip, I was a bit nervous about the parking lot, but I was lucky that there were many law enforcement and other officers on the premises for their own conferences and business, so I felt better seeing dozens of police and sheriff vehicles in the lot around my own car! I can't say that this is a frequent sight, however.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the first floor wing by the conference rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Kris_K_D
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We just got back from staying at this lovely lodge today. It is situated very conveniently close to freeways in the heart of shopping & eating places. Even though it looks like it is located in a dense forest, it is really right in amongst all the other establishments with a small stand of trees surrounding it, which gives it a forest feel. Portland is only a 15 to 20 minute drive, over the bridge. Staying here in Vancouver saved us quite a bit of money.

The staff must all be treated very well because they were genuinely interested in greeting and chatting it up with the guests. They all looked like they really enjoyed their jobs and were eager to help you with your requests. We liked them all.

The room was a standard size King room. I know they have larger sized ones, but we ended up with a smaller sized one close to the elevator on the second floor. We paid $80+taxes with our AAA discount. We had a refrigerator/microwave and fair sized bathroom with a good amount of amenities except for a magnifying mirror. I really liked that the windows could be left open at night to get fresh air into the room, which we did. The bed was very comfortable.

The hotel has a nice sized indoor swimming pool and hot tub and the exercise room looked very well equipped. I wish I had brought clothes to work out in and swim in!

The restaurant for the hotel is OUTSTANDING! Order the crab cakes, scallops, corn chowder and bread pudding! You will not regret it! It is truly a gem of a restaurant with very accommodating waiters/waitresses who are good at their jobs and love them! It's a plus that they have several gluten free options.

We highly recommend this lodge & restaurant! They have a frequent stay guest program you can join to earn free night stays. We will be coming back!

Room Tip: I would ask for one of the rooms with a balcony looking out on the woods.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2012

My family and I came into town to visit with extended family and stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. We stayed on the executive floor which included the free breakfast and was not unhappy with any aspect of our stay. The beds were very comfortable, rooms were clean and the customer service was wonderful.

I am originally from the Portland/Vancouver area and love the log cabin decor and the Pacific Northwest feel that is all throughout the hotel.

We will definitely stay here when we come into town again.

Room Tip: The executive floor is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family