We took a 4 day trip from Ohio to Savannah to visit my step-daughter at SCAD. We had the Thunderbird booked for two nights and a private carriage house in historic Savannah the last two nights. From the outside, it certainly had some retro/hip thing going on. The receptionist was pleasant and helpful in checking us in. Our room on the 2nd floor was what you'd expect an outdated motel to be. Although generally clean, it had that smell of "old". As others have said it is very close to downtown, but it is also right off the highway and near some shady parts of town. With Savannah being built around 22 squares through the historic area, there are a lot of homeless people everywhere. They did not bother me or anyone else that I could see. But you do have to be aware they make their bed all over town and especially near the Greyhound Station across from the Thunderbird. Aside from traffic noise, birds chirped LOUDLY all night long. With all the old live oak trees in Savannah and the good climate, the birds must spend their springs here.
4 days (for me) was 1 day too long in Savannah. It IS a cool, historic town with alot of good eating, shopping, and site seeing. I doubt I'll return any time soon, but if I do, I will spend a little more $ for a little more hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Meet-up at our delightfully quirky motel where refined Savannah's so-historic location and so-hip eccentricities hook up. Discounted Savannah lodging was never so much fun! Hotel rates include Moon Pies and Krispy Kreme donuts! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Expedia so you can book your The Thunderbird Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Thunderbird Hotel Savannah
- Thunderbird Hotel Savannah