“Great food”

Ranked #209 of 954 Restaurants in Savannah
Price range: US$ 7 - US$ 20
Cuisines: Deli
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

If you are looking for authentic Middle Eastern food then this is the place. The Gyro is fantastic as is the Hummus. Highly recommended!!

Reviewed 2 June 2018

I was in Savannah and in the mood for a Middle Eastern gyro. I saw a Greek place down along River Street but they wanted $13 for a gyro sandwich.Sorry but thats way too much for a gyro. Whatsmore, I really don't like the sour cream and dill sauce that Greeks put one their version of the gyro. I prefer a gyro with tahini.

So where can I find a Middle Eastern style gyro in Savannah. Tripadvisor to the rescue. I see a place called Al Salaam Deli on Habersham Street that has received numerous good reviews. I decide to go check them out.

The area of Savannah where Al Salaam Deli is located has much to be desired but seems safe enough. I pull up in front of a little nondescript building and park. I go inside and I am the only patron. The owner greets me and I order a gyro with Tahini sauce. I decide to eat there and chit chat with the owner while I am waiting for my sandwich. Total damage for the gyro was $6.99

The interior is tiny but interesting. On one wall are about a hundred old National Geographic covers that have been made into a mural. There is only 1 table to speak of and a long funky looking couch with a table in front of that. Real intimate. After much anticipation my gyro appears and I go to town on it. Great sandwich.

So things are slow and eventually the owner comes over and introduces himself. His name was difficult and sounded Scottish. Mc something or other. We extend mutual greetings and proceed to get to know each other. The gentleman was from Jordan originally and has owned Al Salaam Deli for 28 years. He is a very intelligent well-spoken worldly man. We had a great conversation of everything under the sun including politics and religion as I had baklava for desert. The baklava was outstanding and a nice finish to my meal.

If you have never had a gyro with tahini I strongly urge you try one out. This is certainly the place in Savannah if you want to do that. Great people and great food.

Reviewed 11 November 2017

This place is amazing and just outside of the hustle and bustle of downtown Savannah. It has free parking. The area to eat is small, but I love the national geographic magazines they have used to line the walls! My favorite meal is the gyro with fries! So good and love the owners! Authentic food!

Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

I had a taste for Gyros. My co-worker wanted cheeseburger(I asked him if he was crazy) They make the best Gyros in Savannah. I have eaten there 5-6 times this year and they always have great food. Except cheeseburgers(says my co-worker). After all it is a middle eastern restaurant. Why even order a cheeseburger???

Reviewed 26 October 2017

Ran in here for a quick bite when the place we were originally trying to go just down the street had a 20 minute wait. It turned out to be a happy accident. My friend had the falafel gyro and I had the side order of falafel. They were both great. The sauce was delicious. It is a small (like a dozen seats) counter order & pick up place. It was packed at lunch time & clearly doing a lot of to go orders. I can't speak to how any of the meat dishes tasted, but they looked good & everyone seemed to really be enjoying their food.