“Good Rooms....”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Gulf Shores, Alabama
“Good Rooms....”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

If you stay here you better get use to taking the ferry back and worth. We enjoyed this actually. The ferry ride is no longer than 5 minutes. The hotel was nice and clean and we enjoyed the piano playing on its own! Great hotel bar and a wonderful breakfast at the top of the escalators.

Room Tip: Book a waterfront room. Enjoy the breakfast.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
WestinSav, Guest Relations Manager at Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
We are happy to hear that you had a nice visit with us, and appreciate you sharing your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, should your travels bring you back to Savannah.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
CT
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We just came from the Westin in Hilton Head & this is far nicer. It's a newer property and naturally it doesn't have a beach but otherwise everything is better at the Savannah property. Both charge a resort fee which is nuts since thats why people choose the hotel but at least in savannah you get something for it - a free ferry service across the river to town. The pool is very cold so you need to be brave to swim but it's really lovely and the lay out for the pool area is great. I'd highly recommend staying here. I didn't give the room a higher rating since the bathroom is quite small. River view is nice.

• Stayed April 2012
WestinSav, Guest Relations Manager at Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Thank you for staying with us for your recent visit to Savannah. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our Resort. Our pool should always be heated to 80 degrees and have shared your comments with our Director of Engineering for inspection. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We stayed here from 4/11-4/15 for a convention and had a very nice room 1419-1421. We did pay to have a junior suite (thus two rooms, up on the 14th floor, the top floor is on 16. I only wish I remembered to ask for a room with a balcony, there are only a few.. We did get the river view room which was wonderful to watch the boats and cargo ships pass by your windows. Be aware, they do have the tug boat which sounds a loud horn before they pass, but it is usually not late at night and before 7am. The spa and golf course which I used were both extremely nice. Overall a very nice Westin and I would return there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for choosing the Westin Savannah. I appreciate you taking the time to share such nice comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.
Malvern, PA
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I had the opportunity to stay at the Westin Savannah on a trip between two other destinations and was I pleasantly surprised...my room was perfect and with a ferry boat water taxi to conveniently take me back and forth into the Savannah River District I was able to really enjoy my short stay...what a beautiful city, what a beautiful stay!

Room Tip: ...dinner at the Moon River Brewery up on Bay street, order the scallops and the Fox IPA?...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for sharing your comments. Historic Savannah is a wonderful area and I am glad you were able to enjoy your recent visit with us. We hope you will return to Savannah in the future and have the opportunity to stay with us again.
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I wanted to like this resort so badly, but it lacked in one major area. Customer service.

Booked our reservation with points. We are gold members.

Arrived on a Wednesday (stayed until Monday). Bell staff couldn't even strain to have a smile on their faces upon arrival.

Arrived at front desk to check-in (had indicated in reservation that we were celebrating a birthday - not even so much a, "happy birthday" or would you like us to do anything special, etc) - Not a huge deal, but noted. The attendant asked me if I wanted to forgo room cleanings to receive bonus points, I said no. I'm there to have a vacation and to have a clean room. Obviously, they did what they wanted anyway because on our first day, we were at the pool all day and when we came back to our room, it was not cleaned (around 2pm) so we called the front desk to make sure and they assured us it was "on the list to be cleaned" so we went out to dinner and came back. Our room was never cleaned. I called the front desk only to be put on hold for several minutes. I called back they said the manager would call me back. Never did. I talked to the manager in the morning and he first offered me hotel points (which I didn't want) and then offered to remove two nights of hotel fees. I accepted. So like $40.

The next day, we brought my 3.5 year old son back to the room for a nap. About 30 minutes into his nap, the fire alarm started going off in another part of the building, then it went off in our room. I called the front desk to see if there was an emergency and they said they weren't sure, a few seconds later, a man's voice came through and it was a false alarm. It went off two more times for at least 30 seconds each time. It was deafening. My husband ended up standing on the bed and covering it with a pillow. The nap was over anyway and he never got a full nap, which made our evening plans... interesting with a tired toddler.

That afternoon, our room was "cleaned" but the sheets were not changed, floor was not vacuumed and the desk (which had some creamer from coffee spilled, which we wiped but it was cloudy) wasn't even wiped. The "service clearly spent about 5 minutes in our room. Plus they left no fresh towels for us. Called the front desk and told them that our room wasn't cleaned, they offered to clean it I said fine because we were leaving for dinner. They showed up with towels and stacked them on our desk and a plastic bag of toiletries --- not even in the bathroom. Didn't vacuum, didn't change sheets. Unacceptable.

Breakfast in the restaurant: The spread was okay. Service in the restaurant was dismal. I wanted cream cheese for salmon with bagel for my son. Stood there waiting in buffet area for at least 5 minutes for my server who I had asked. Finally asked another server, who did get it for me and actually put a bowl of it out which they had forgotten. Got back to my table, all my food was cold. THEN, our server brings my cream cheese.

Dinner: Went to the seafood buffet one night (only 2nd and last time in the hotel restaurant). It was average. They had a guy playing guitar, he was talented and relaxing. Asked for a booster seat for my son. This is AMAZING ---- "We only have one and another child is using it." UM WOW. One freaking booster in the whole facility? Pathetic.

The "hot tub" was lukewarm. The pool was barely heated. Obviously, cost savings techniques. There was one pool server for drinks --- on EASTER weekend when the pool was packed. So, while he was quite friendly (the only friendly staff member), the service was SLOW and beer was warm.

One night, we stopped to get ice cream for my son on the way back from the ferry. We just wanted to take it to our room. The wait staff acted like they were slammed, yet there weren't many people. The staff just complained about the kitchen. Look people, I'm on vacation, I don't want to hear your work issue complaints. Just go get a scoop of ice cream yourself and stop complaining. After about 25 minutes of waiting for a scoop of ice cream, we got it. It was $8. A couple days later, I realized that a scoop of kids ice cream on the menu was only $3. I need to call them based on principle alone. $8 for a scoop of vanilla ice cream from a complaining hostess. Give me a break.

Every time we drove somewhere, when we drove back to get back into the covered lot, we were supposed to use our room key to access. It never worked. So we would use the call attendant button. Not surprisingly, no one would pick-up they would just press the button to open the gate. Lazy. So, if you want to take the ferry and aren't a hotel guest and don't want to pay, don't worry because they don't even check to see if you are a hotel guest anyway. On our last night, the arm wouldn't go up at all and no one answered our call so we had to park outside.

Before our stay, I had read reviews where people complained about noise levels. I kind of thought that they were just complainers or that they had bad neighbors. There was a wedding below our room in the garden outside with live music and band, this was perfectly fine, we didn't mind that at all and we enjoyed watching everything going on and listening to the music What we DID mind was two things. Our next door neighbors returning to their room at 4am partying in their rooms waking us up every 15 minutes being loud two nights in a row. AND there was a service door right near our room so as shift came on in the early morning the staff door opened and slammed over and over -- it was maddening. After the second night of partying neighbors (had to call front desk twice in the middle of the night to quiet them) I called in the morning and asked if they were checking out and they had (if not, I would have requested to be moved). and the service door our sleep was HORRENDOUS. Which made us a bit short-tempered in the day-time. Just totally unacceptable. I really wish we had asked to change rooms earlier, but we didn't put 2and2 together about the service door until the third night and didn't expect two nights of loud obnoxious neighbors.

The property was very nice but it was just so obvious to see Starwood's cutting back on people and training to save money. Just little things like cigarette butts in the fire pit. Westin is not what it once was. Could be because of the economy, but I also wonder if it is poor leadership decisions in addition to lack of employee training.

I have heard good things about Avia and it is in town, which I like the idea of anyway because, to be completely honest, I would have liked to have been able to take an early morning run through town or walk right out to breakfast in town. The view of downtown Savannah was to die for, though.

We most likely won't stay here again unless I started hearing about some changes to staffing.

Room Tip: Make sure you aren't near a service door. If you have loud people next door, don't wait to s...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank denbe
I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments concerning your recent stay at our hotel. I was very sorry to read that we failed to meet your expectations in several areas.
It is our goal to consistently provide the highest quality in both product and service and it is vital to our continued success to know when we have fallen short of our own high standards. All of us here at The Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa are committed to providing a much better and more pleasant experience for our guests than what you had the misfortune of experiencing. I have had the opportunity to share your comments with our Director of Operations for corrective action and to ensure other guests are not subjected to similar issues.

Again, thank you for your comments, they are truly appreciated and put to good use. We value you as a Gold Starwood Preferred Guest, and do want you to know that your concerns are our concerns. I sincerely hope you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our true level of hospitality and interest in serving you.