“Excellent walking tour of Savannah, so worthwhile!”
Review of Savannah Rambles

Savannah Rambles
Ranked #28 of 143 Tours in Savannah
More attraction details
Owner description: You are invited to walk with me as I use Savannah's architectural history as a visual aid to tell the history of Savannah's innovative city plan, icredible mix of architectural styles, and generations of diverse people who have created America's most uniquely beautiful city. I have been personally involved with the restoration of numerous buildings within Savannah's historic districts and can offer a unique perspective among tour guides.
Benicia, California
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Excellent walking tour of Savannah, so worthwhile!”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I was in Savannah for business and was fortunate enough to be able to schedule an architectural walking tour of Savannah with Dirk. Wow! I can't even begin to describe how the tour opened my eyes to the history and beauty around me. I would highly recommend this tour for anyone who wants to go beyond the usual tourist stuff; this is the real deal. The ramble is about 2 hours, and is quite easy. Afterwards, I purchased a used copy of "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" and read it on the flight home. Even the book was so much more special because I had seen many of the locations described in the book. Now I am inspired to do more walking tours of cities, including my home town.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank redyoga
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Woodbridge, Virginia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Entertainingly Educational!”
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Dirk provided an excellent introduction to Savannah's history, city layout, and architecture. He was a relaxed, affable and informed guide, he kept us safe crossing streets, and he welcomed all of our questions. We learned so much more about Savannah than we expected, and we specially enjoyed how he interwove the architecture with the history of the city. Please note that although the pace was leisurely, some of the walking is on uneven brick. We would definitely recommend Dirk's "Savannah Ramble"s!

Visited January 2012
2 Thank travelover955
Miami, Florida
“Fantastic tour with a great guide! Well worth the money. Dirk was great!”
Reviewed 22 December 2011

We were hoping to get a historical tour of Savannah, but we got that and much more! Dirk, did a wonderful job of walking us to the highlights of the town while he supplemented the tour with deep historical, social and architectural information that was REALLY enjoyable. Not only that but he didn't skimp on the explanations or the time; we ran over and weren't charged more. In addition, we were travelling with two small children, and he was patient and thoughtful when they interrupted him. I would highly recommend Dirk to anyone visiting Savannah.

Visited December 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Great introduction to Savannah”
Reviewed 14 November 2011

We had a great tour. The tour is a little more than a mile walk in total, took a little more than two hours and I wish we could have gone on longer. We saw a lot of the historic section of the city and the tour got us excited to do more exploring on our own. Our guide, Dirk, is the owner and the only guide so plan in advance if you'd like to take a tour. He was friendly and knowledgeable and welcomed our questions. He was referred to us by a friend and I would happily recommend him to others. Just be aware that he doesn't take credit cards so be sure to have cash on hand.

Visited November 2011
southern US
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“One of the best walking tours anywhere”
Reviewed 2 November 2011

I seek out walking tours wherever in the world I travel. This was one of the best. He is so knowledgeable about everything from early settlement patterns of Savannah (like how and why the famous "squares" originated), to agricultural traditions, to architecture and historic preservation. Several weeks later, much of what he said has stayed with me. I can't wait to do it again, even if it is the same walking route because his reservoir of knowledge is so deep and he is so engaging. Unless you just need to sit down and veg out, avoid the superficial schlock of the trolley tours. (Because this is a one man operation, you don't need to worry that you may get a less-informed guide for your walk, which sometimes happens with larger walking tour companies.)

Visited October 2011