“Almost Perfect...”

Ranked #13 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Jacksonville, Florida
“Almost Perfect...”
Reviewed 22 August 2012

My husband and I stayed in Savannah for our honeymoon, in April. After countless hours of internet searches, thousands of reviews, and lots of comparing locations, I picked the Avia for our getaway. Apon our arrival, I was in awe. The hotel loby is beautiful. We arrived on a Sunday, so the lobby was chaotic, but we were promply greeted, and our check in started in a very timely fashion. Midway through our check in, the woman at the from desk informed me that there was major construction going on in Ellis Square, and that (lucky us) our room was located directly across from all the the early morning construction. She then informed us, that it is normal for people to call down and complain about the level of noise coming from next door, but that she had some upgrades available, away from the noise, and that if we wanted, we could PAY to upgrade our room, away from the loudness of the construction. I found this very disheartening to hear, while already paying almost $300 a night for our 4 night honeymoon stay. After politely declining her offer to charge us an arm and a leg to upgrade our stay, she smiled, and told me to please let her know if we change our minds. I was frusterated at this point, but not willing to ruin my trip, so I sucked it up and went up to the room. It was amazing, modern, and everyone is telling the truth about those beds, you will never want to leave them. The sound of the construction in the morning was not horrible, but being such a light sleeper, I found it difficult to sleep past 8, which turned out to be ok, as I wanted as much time to explore the city as possible. We spent a lot of time down in the bar. The bartenders were friendly, knowlegable, and very promp, even when busy, and the candied bacon strips will not soon be forgotten. We ate dinner at The Kitchen two nights in a row, it was that good. Small but satisfying, the crab cakes, and short ribs were some of the best I had ever had. All of the employees of the hotel were always very friendly, and eager to help. We booked a hounted pub crawl at the front desk, which was a blast, but also very informative. The next night, we had the front desk make us reservations for Alligator Soul, which is about 2 blocks down Barnard street. That dinner at Alligator Soul was by far the best meal I have had in my entire life. As sad as it was, our Savannah journey came to an end, but we are very eager to return. We plan on coming back once a month in April, and are excited to see the renovations, and experience the Andaz Savannah. I will call and see if there is any construction near the building, before I book a stay, and will make sure they place the on the oppisite end of the noise! Overall great experience, other than the one bump.

Room Tip: Book room away from any construction.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Pedro P, General Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this review, 23 August 2012
Thank you for your comments about your stay with us. We certainly look forward to your return visit next April as we are eager to show off our newly renovated lobby.

Best regards
Pedro Perez
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
Reviewed 22 August 2012 via mobile

Although there was construction going on which was hard to ignore in the lobby, as it was extremely loud and dusty, I would still go back and would recommend it to others. I'm not one to use the public areas when I go to hotels so it didn't really bother me. The rooms were gorgeous, beautifully decorated, would recommend the one bedroom king suites. The pool area was also nicely designed. The location was perfect. Didn't use our car for four days even with the shifty rain showers here and there. Savannah is a charming city, I recommend visiting for sure.
Look forward to our return.

• Stayed August 2012
I have to agree with you we do have the best location in Savannah. We would love to see you again soon.

Best regards
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We stayed at the Avia Savannah during a recent trip based on recommendations from Trip Advisor and glad we picked this hotel. I say this even though parts of the hotel were off limits due to renovation efforts. This was one of the most taste fully decorated rooms we have stayed in and we travel 7 stay at hotels quite a bit. Great location. Staff was super friendly & gave us a late checkout :)

The only issue we ran into was the time to get our car with the valet service as they had off premise parking and traffic around the hotel was a chaotic due to construction.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our hotel. I will certainly share your remarks with our entire staff. See you on your next visit to Savannah.

Best Regards
General manager
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 August 2012

You will not find a better location for a relaxing vacation in Savannah. We pulled in on the first day and didn't need the car for 3 days. We walked everywhere from here. My husband & I took a 2 hour neighborhood tour which met 2 blocks away from Avia. After the tour we walked back to the room, freshened up and headed for the waterfront (2 blocks away). Every great restaurant is within walking distance.

The lobby was very comfortable, nice seating for coffee in the morning and a bar & restaurant if you needed anything else. The room was clean and upscale. The staff was very friendly. This is the only place we will stay when we return to Savannah.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the park.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Senoia
Reviewed 18 August 2012

We had never been to Savannah and wanted a nice hotel for our anniversary. We were not disappointed. It is centrally located to everything. Too many restaurants to name. The hotel has a great breakfast buffet. The staff are eager to please and service was awesome. The bed was so comfortable. There is a small roof top pool which was so inviting and cozy.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple