“Best hotel staff ever!”

Ranked #11 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Winnipeg
“Best hotel staff ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

Avia Hotel is ideally located in one of the loveliest cities in the U.S....in the historic district just a few minutes from the River Walk, a block from the City Market, and a short stroll from a number of Savannah's squares.
The interior of the hotel itself would appear to have been recently rennovated...the lobby, bar and restaurant on the main floor are spacious and beautifully appointed.
We arrived tired and cranky from a long flight that began at 4:00 a.m. and were advised that they had but one room available which I gathered was one not usually rented to guests, but which had the advantage of being on the side of the hotel away from the construction on the underground parking lot . We were too exhausted to care about anything but a bed. The
room was more than adequate for a queen size bed, a small chaise lounge and a dresser..the bathroom was immaculate and, again, newly rennovated. We had an excellent sleep each night as the room was very quiet.
Every employee in the hotel had a friendly smile (even after very long shifts) and seemed pleased to be able to help us with directions, recommendations for restaurants and information about the city. We had some trouble with our telephone, and when we needed a wake up call for our early flight one of the night staff came up at 4:30 a.m. to make sure we were awake.
The hotel pool is outdoors on the second floor, and there is an outdoor fire pit there as well.
The restaurant has an incredible buffet breakfast, which is quite expensive, but well worth it if
you enjoy a big morning meal. However, the price is adjusted if you prefer some fruit and coffee. The snacks at the bar were excellent.
Across the square there is a wonderful little bakery.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the construction next door.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Linda L
Pedro P, General Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Greetings from the AVIA Savannah. Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay and for taking your time to leave a review. I echo your sentiments with regard to our exceptional service team. We are sincerely grateful that you selected AVIA savannah, and look forward to welcoming you back home in the near future.

One again thank you for your feedback and on behalf of all our associates.

General manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (551)
Salem, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Avia for a close friends 70th birthday party. It is one of the most well run hotels i have stayed at. Everyone on staff were friendly and professional. A special thanks to the manager, Taisha and Clinton who made the best egg white omlettes I have ever had. It is a spotlessly clean hotel, and every detail is thought out. I work in customer service, so this was a easy place to relax. It is also located in the center of Savanah which makes it easy to walk to everything.We had king deluxe and there is plenty of room, the bed was really comfortable.

Room Tip: get a room facing the fountain park, 3rd floor up.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank FAUST4
We would like to thank you for staying at the AVIA to celebrate your friends 70th Birthday. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to pass along your great comments about our friendly staff. We hope that you will all come back to see us soon.

Ormond Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

We just got back from a 2 day quick trip to Savannah. My husband and I had never been and I was a bit nervous. I searched on Priceline and found this hotel. It was his birthday and our anniversary so I wanted it to be special. We were just blown away from the beginning. The door man was very nice and accomodating. Justin first checked us in and helped us with a reservation to Paula Deen's that night (they are the only hotel that can make reservations for you I was told) we were so pleased because I had heard how hard it was to get in. Dot finished checking us in because our room was not ready and she was wonderful in taking time to give us plenty of ideas to do that night and our stay. We stayed in a mini suite which had a kitchen which was also nice. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. I loved the decor. Everything appeared to be clean and smelled fresh. The breakfast buffet was glorious, Clinton went out of his way to make me an omelet with arugula since he was out of spinach. He was so nice just like everyone else we met in that place. You could not beat the location right in the middle of the shopping and restaurants. The only complaint I would have is because you are in the heart of the city there is city noise from the "numbnuts" who would hang outside the hotel or the alley way behind. I dont know how you control people talking so loud when they walk to their rooms. But everything else was so nice I could look past it. I would definitely go back and stay here and I will tell everyone I know. What a great find!

Room Tip: I loved our view which looked out over the fire pit and cool buildings but the alley was there and p...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Stacy W
Pedro P, General Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Thank you for the wonderful comments you have shared about Dot and Clinton. We consider ourselves to be very fortunate to have such warm and caring associates on our team. We are delighted, (but not surprised!), to know that they were able to exceed your expectations during your stay. On behalf of our entire team, we hope you can return again soon.

Best Regards
Temple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

The best I can say about the Avia Savannah is that it is really in a great location. Beyond that, the rooms are small and a bit pretentiously decorated, which makes them feel even smaller. The walk-in shower is nice, except its just a shower. No bathtub.
Bath towels are what I would expect to find at a much lower priced hotel. Not very good quality and definitely not enough of them.
The in-room snack bar includes a very expensive bottle of water, and very very expensive (and overpriced) small bottles of vodka and whiskey.
My view was of an alleyway and a new building under construction. Evidently the construction continued through the night because I was frequently woken by unusually loud noises coming from the alley. Kind of surprising because I thought the noise from the air conditioning would drown out any other noises.
I was also located at the end of a hallway. More or less a city block from the elevator and no access to the stairs.
The room was pretty clean. Only a little mold growing in the shower.
The bar and small restaurant were pleasant enough, except for the much too loud muzak playing constantly. Same thing with the outdoor pool and lounge area. Nice, but too loud.
If location is the only important thing, probably a decent hotel to stay at. If you expect a little more for your money: a decent sized room, a bath, enough towels for more than one person and a little quiet at night, this is probably not the best choice.
Certainly not for me.

Well, at least the bed was pretty comfortable.

Room Tip: If you must stay at the Avia, insist on a room that faces Ellis Square.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ducvw2004
Mooresville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Just returned from Savannah...our second trip and stay at Avia,....located within walking distance of so many things....right across from Ellis Square, City Market...etc. The staff is awesome! Special kudos to Willie (doorman....pleasant, helpful, always smiling), Rico (pool bar...kept us entertained for hours), Zach (lobby bar...remembered us from the year before...so professional), Dee (concierge... great recommendations) . The entire staff is so nice....not just polite but good ole' southern friendly! They did a great job handling the business functions for our visit as well. Love the comfortable beds too! Renovation coming to the lobby area we were told so I can't wait til our next trip to see how they make it even better!! Lynn, Mooresville NC

Room Tip: on pool/north side last time and Square/south side this time....higher floors probably have better v...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Lynn N
Pedro P, General Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
We have received the wonderful comments you entered on TripAdvisor and want to thank you personally for sharing your positive experience with us. It is very gratifying to receive such positive feedback about our wonderful employees. I will make sure to share your comments with each of the employees that you mentioned. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you soon!
General manager