“Not Amazed”

Home2 Suites by Hilton Baltimore Downtown
Ranked #32 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I spent one night (10 April) at this hotel to be nearby for an early morning appointment. When I arrived the exterior looked like a youyh hostel or a homeless shelter wpeople milling around outside the front door. The check in went well, the clerk was pleasant and helpful. The one way street outside was full so I had to use "valet" parking. My room was almost clean, the bed/bedding was clean but the floor was in need of vaccuming and it was not stocked with towels. The longer I stayed, the more I noticed. I found jelly beans, shredded paper and crumbs in various areas of the room. As I checked the bathroom I found hair from previous occupants in the shower. Luckily for me, I carry Lysol disinfectant cleaner in my bag. During the night I heard what sounded like garbage trucks and other noises throughout the night. Checkout was an unpleasant experience with a confused and frazzled young trainee working the front desk apparently alone. Other employees were out searching for cars that had been "valet parked", previously. At that time I was told that I should have called 30 minutes before I needed my car. As I waited I watched kitchen staff/cooks(?) come to the lobby to hang out. One look at their clothing and hair and I was so glad that I had not partaken of the "free breakfast". I do realize that this may have been a "one time" situation but I will think twice about staying at this particular location.

Room Tip: Make sure the parking lot is not below your window.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank MsVerde
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

A good value. Updated and clean. Near many attractions.
Breakfast could use a little more variety but still a good feature to have.
Nice and friendly staff.

Room Tip: Choose a doom on a higher floor to avoid traffic noise. 8+
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2012

This hotel is geared to the business traveler, although the kitchen facilities in each room make it attractive for anyone not wanting to be dependent on restaurants for all meals. A basic breakfast (yoghurt, breads, cereal, juice and coffee/tea) is included in the reasonable nightly rate, and there are a variety of ethnic choices very near by when a restaurant is preferred. Wifi is included, and charging your mobile devices is easy with the outlets built into the desk lamp. The lighting is well thought out, and you can comfortably read in bed, a rarity in hotels.

For those on a longer trip or staying an extended time in Baltimoe, there is a laundry room and a common room where you could have a small meeting or visit with friends.

One caution- as a woman traveling alone, I was not comfortable with the neighborhood after about 7PM. The hotel appears to have good security, but walking back from the harbor area or even nearby convention hotels did not feel entirely safe. This caution is more about Baltimore than Home2 however.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Home2 is a newer Hilton chain, with reasonable rates and individual ownership. Having stayed in several other all-suites hotels I found Home2 to be exceptionally warm and intimate - not a cold, corporate-feeling place at all. As a woman staying alone I am always conscious of the security and feeling of safety in hotels, and here I felt completely comfortable. The entire staff, including management, front desk, housekeeping and shuttle drivers, was friendly and supportive as I "commuted" to Johns Hopkins Hospital daily during my husband's heart surgery and post-op week. The parking situation is difficult, due to the location, but valet parking is offered and on-street paid parking is available as well. I left my car in the Hopkins garage and used the hotel's complementary shuttle each day. I was offered a discounted Hopkins rate on my room, which was delightfully un-fussy (no faux-art or foolish frills), with a very nice galley kitchen, king bed, free wired or WiFi Internet connection, and excellent soundproofing. It was meticulously clean, and with a charming view toward Mt. Vernon Place in historic Baltimore. The bed was fabulous, and I am fairly particular about beds. All in all, if the surgery of one's spouse can be made less stressful, Home2 managed to do so. I am grateful to the staff and to the management of Home2 Downtown Baltimore.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing uptown - the view is nice and it is quiet on the higher floors.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 April 2012

This hotel is somewhat spartan, geared for the business traveler. It is clean, well-designed, features a limited by adequate breakfast, and has some kitchen facilities in each room. It is conveniently located near the train station, and quite reasonable.

Of special note is the staff who were extraordinarily helpful and knowledgeable.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple