“Great Hotel Great Location”

Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel
Ranked #22 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed 1 March 2012

This was my first stay at this hotel and so far it is my favorite of all the Marriotts in Baltimore. The location is central to everything and it has public parking garage below so you are not forced to use the valet or walk blocks to a public garage. The parking is $28 per night, which is pretty typical these days for a city hotel.

The property itself has been around for a number of years and the evelevators do show it, however, don't let that put you off as the rooms have all been upgraded and are very nice and large. The bathrooms have also been updated and are nice and clean. The only thing you need to know about the rooms is that the hotel is arranged in a big open square so some rooms are quite a hike from the elevators!

I stayed on the concierge level and the concierge lounge is pretty typical for a full service Marriott. They do serve a hot breakfast in the morning and it is actually quite good. At night they have a number of food options too and the quality is pretty decent.

Overall, a very good hotel. You won't be dissapointed!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Altaskibum

Reviewed 29 February 2012

Ten years ago, this place was immaculate. It is still very very nice and is the perfect location for a weekend in Baltimore's Inner Harbor. Directly on Pratt street... there is actually a walkway from the Pratt St pavilion second story to the second story of the Galleria Mall which is connected to the Hotel. It is very close to tons of shopping, museums, and food choices. Within walking distance of Fell's Point, Federal Hill, Powerplant Live, and the famous Lexington market.
The Hotel has some great views of the harbor. Concierge is very helpful finding your way around for newbies. Rooms are above average size and nicely appointed. I have stayed at several Renaissance Hotels around the country and this is still my favorite. Renaissance is by Marriott. And, if you've never stayed in a Marriott, their beds and linens are legendary. They actually sell the linens(the mattress pad is the best seller...and worth every penny).
You can usually find great deals through Priceline(4stars). Just know that you will have to upgrade if you want to ensure a good view. The Galleria Mall attached to the hotel has a nice food court area for quick meals.
Take a walk over to Amicci's in the Italian market or eat the Best crab cake in the world at Faidley's in the Lexington market. Visit Fell's point and walk in the footsteps of Edger Allen Poe(mostly through the same bars he frequented) or head for Dangerously Delicious Pies on Federal Hill. Catch a great show or two or three at Powerplant Live or just relax on the patio and people watch. This area truly had something for everyone. Can't begin to say enough.
We have stayed at each of the 4star hotels in inner harbor and you will not be disappointed with this one. One of my favorite hotels in one of my favorite cities.

Room Tip: Priceline for best price... upgrade upon check-in for best view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aero-Yeah
Reviewed 28 February 2012

What a great hotel. Perfectly located overlooking the Inner Harbour. We arrived around 11:00 and were immediately given a room without waiting. No "we don't give rooms until 3:00" or "You're early, come back". That was nice. And the room was on the 11th floor (out of 12 floors) with a "full harbour view" overlooking the stern of the USS Constitution. What a beautiful view of the Harbour and the buildings. To die for. Also located adjacent to the Gallery Shopping Mall, so if you are a shopper, you can access it through the lobby.

The room was first rate. Huge window wall overlooking the Harbour. Beds were some of the most comfortable I can recall. In fact, the second night I was looking forward to going to sleep. It appears that they use firm mattresses and then cover them with an inch or two of soft material. Bed linens were of top quality and cosy. There was some hallway noise and sirens of the crime fighters on Pratt Street, but other than that a good nights sleep.

Large flat screen TV with the typical satellite/cable channels plus HBO. Nice coffee service, an in-drawer modern safe, hairdryer and Wi-Fi (for $`12.95 for 24 hours).

Parking was a bit steep at $28 a day, but it appeared that they used public garage and they pass that cost on. For $12 more a day, they provide valet paring. I normally don't take the valet option (I'm not that old that I can't park my own car), but there were so many cars when we arrived that the idea of someone taking care of the car was too tempting.

While the hotel was magnificent, I thought that some of the people could improve. While I was very happy with an early room, it wouldn't hurt the lady at reception to smile once in a while or ask us how's it going. After all, other than the valet parking guy, she is our first experience with the hotel and first impressions are hard to shake. So reception lady, relax, smile and enjoy people. Also, when we arrived there was only one person manning reception. While we were second in line, the person ahead of us had some personal issue that took more than 5 minutes. Once the line began to form, they did bring out another staff member to deal with the arrivals. But at a hotel of this calibre, there shouldn't be a delay. Also, I noticed that reception handled questions and matters that the concierge should have handled. Reception should refer such issues to the concierge and get on the reception matters.

People seemed to really like room service. You could tell by all the plates, glasses and trays outside doors in the hallway. And they stayed there for some time. Not only was it an eyesore and disruptive, the aroma wasn't pleasant. I'm surprised that the dirty dishes stayed there so long as they could easily be collected at least once an hour.

Also, we forgot a Europe to US electrical adapter and hoped that the hotel had one we could borrow. Most upper scale hotels in urban areas such as Baltimore normally have them. No luck, but reception happily referred us to the Hotel store. It had one, but at three times the price as that on the normal economy. Ouch! The store also sold newspapers, but would put yesterday's paper on top of the pile of today's paper. Sort of like a grocery store putting overripe fruit on top of the better fruit to get rid of it. Shame, shame hotel store. Why trash your name for the price of a newspaper?

We only ate breakfast in the hotel and it was very good. Not cheap, but not that much more than outside places. And the food was of very good quality.

They did incorrectly charge me for two days of internet when I only used one. I was sent a final email bill with a link to ask about the bill. Unfortunately the link doesn't work, so looks like I got stiffed for $12.95 worth of internet I didn't use.

In the end, its a wonderful hotel, ideally located and luxurious. Nice people who will certainly smile more in the future if anyone reads this. Not cheap, but it had an affordable Government rate. Well worth the money. I'd stay there again in a second.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel during the first two weeks of December because of work obligations. This hotel was very nice. I had access to the concierge lounge, and as a result was treated to a variety of breakfast options in the morning, and hors d'oeuvres after a long day of work. The people working in the lounge made sure that the food stayed well stocked, and the service area stayed clean. Kenneth at the front desk checked me in when I first arrived and was very friendly. I saw him throughout my stay, and he always provided service with a smile (which was a rare commodity in Baltimore as most of the people I encountered outside of the hotel – Baltimore residents/natives – were not smiling – but overall very rude) Dianne in housekeeping was also very accommodating. I called to request a pull out bed be brought to the room, and she set it up very quickly, and was very friendly. The view from the hotel was excellent (especially in the workout room). If I ever do stay in downtown Baltimore again for work, I will request that arrangements be made at this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Clean, comfortable and friendly hotel. Great location.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family