“Not your typical accomodations” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Inn at Government House

Inn at Government House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Baltimore
Inn at Government House
Ranked #11 of 13 Baltimore B&B and Inns
Michigan
“Not your typical accomodations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2009

The Inn at Government House is not for people who are used to staying at regular hotels, this is closer to a youth hostel. The decor and renovations to the buildings are beautiful, although there is a lot of wear and tear. When I made my reservation I told the staff person the time I would arrive. When I got there I saw a note on the door to knock and call if there was no answer. I called to find the staff person seated in the office listening to her ipod. Not stellar customer service. Guests are given a key to the front door to let themselves into the building, no staff is onsite at night. My room was pretty nice with average furnishings. Breakfast is minimal with cereal and coffee. They put the uneaten pastries back out everyday, so do not expect fresh baked goods. One of the days I was there the staff did not come in early enough to put breakfast out for the guests (one other person and me). The last night of my stay I was the only person in the inn and discovered that my windows were not only open a crack, but they did not have locks at all! Yikes that was a sleepless night. This is a place for a more adventurous traveller and not for those used to hotel services.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank GranolaMom
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Families
Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Richmond, VA, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2008

We were very pleased with our one-night stay at the Government House located in the Mt Vernon district. For most people it is not within reasonable walking distance of the harbor area. There are several restaurants that are within walking distance and there is a 7-11 on the block. We ate at an excellent Italian restaurant, Sotto Sopra, which is listed as 0.6 mile away at 405 N Charles St. (http://www.sottosoprainc.com).

The property is essentially in two sections. The rooms are in one section and the area which can be rented out for events is in another. This section consisting of the library, dining rooms, and other rooms is beautiful as cited by another reviewer. The continental breakfast is served in this absolutely elegant area. The juice, hot beverages, cold cereal, bread, croissants, jam and pastries provided an adequate breakfast. .

Our room was very large, which we liked. The queen size bed was great. The other furnishings were not new. Our room was on the front of the building and one could hear the traffic below which posed no problem for us, but could for some people who are particularly sensitive to noise. Our only real complaint about the room was that there was no thermostat in the room to control the heat. We could either turn it on or off and the temperature was a little warmer than we liked so we turned it off since we like to sleep in a cooler room. The lighting was not the best for reading at night. They were having a problem with the wireless connection that day but the manager allowed us connect via hardwire from her office so we could send a couple things and check our e-mail.

Based on what we saw the facility is not really accessible for someone in a wheel chair. From the front there are steps up to enter the building and from the rear there are a couple steps up to get to the elevator. The off-street parking is in the rear of the building with a relatively large lot.

We were fortunate that there were not many people and we were able to get a history of the building from the manager. Overall we were very pleased with our stay and definitely stay there again if we return to Baltimore.

• Liked — The mansion side of the house with the dining area for breakfast
  • Disliked — No thermostat in the room to control temperature.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank By_His_Grace
Baton Rouge, LA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2008

I recently stayed at Inn at Government House and was very unhappy with the service. First, I got a parking ticket because there where no parking spaces where guests were allowed to park and when I informed the manager she said that "I should have called her and she would have moved her car" and that the best they could do is offer me a reduced rate for a future stay. Then, I called about a phone charger I left several times and the call was never returned. I found the overall service to be rude and discourteous. I would advise anyone considering staying here to look elsewhere.

Stayed May 2008
2 Thank bblanc4
Honolulu, HI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2004

I used this inn for my out-of-town guests for my wedding. Everyone enjoyed staying there. It's very quaint and definitely not your typical chain hotel. Staff are not available 24 hours so it was a bit of a hassle when we tried to call and nobody answered the phone. I think they need to hire more staff to be available at the front desk. The staff was friendly though. I recommend this inn if you are planning a special event and want everyone to stay at the same place. We all had a lot of fun there. The library, dining rooms, and other rooms are beautiful. I took my pictures there before our wedding in the library which has beautiful stain glass windows. Contintental breakfast was included in the special rate given to my guests. It wasn't that great--just cereal, some pastries, coffee and juice. I didn't have time to eat breakfast, but I did grab a croissant that had some mold on it. Not a good sign. I didn't hear any complaints from my other guests though. If you are looking for a place with a lot of service, this isn't the place for you. If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive, quaint, historic inn in Mount Vernon, where all your guests can hang out, this is a great place. The inn also rents out their rooms for special group events like weddings. I would use this inn again, but I think they need to improve their service to guests.

• Stayed October 2004