“Kitchen on Top of Their Game”
Review of Azumi

Azumi
Reserve with OpenTable
Azumi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #92 of 2,078 Restaurants in Baltimore
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Opened in 2014 to a 4.5 Star review from the Baltimore Sun, Azumi Restaurant is located on Baltimore's Inner Harbor in the elegant Four Seasons Hotel. With picturesque panoramic waterfront views, Azumi offers authentic Japanese cuisine with a strong focus on sushi matched with an amazing "hot kitchen." Azumi's Sake and Japanese Whiskey program is one of the largest in the region. Recently named the city's best Japanese restaurant by Baltimore Magazine, Azumi is also one of the hottest spots for nightlife in the city featuring a live DJ 4 nights a week. Newly named one of Zagat's 8 Best Restaurants in Baltimore. Enjoy outdoor dining on our patio which comfortably seats an additional 70 people overlooking the Inner Harbor. We also offer lunch service Monday through Saturday from 11:00am-2:00pm featuring a special lunch menu created by Chef Andy!
Reviewed 15 May 2016 via mobile

Food wise, Azumi is my favorite Baltimore restaurant. It's the place to go to to get the best Sashimi, Nigiri, and Japanese cooking.

I've visited Azumi 3 times, twice having sat at the kitchen bar and last night having sat at a window table. My preference would have been to have sat at the kitchen bar but, because we were 4, a table made the most sense.

Each time I've visited, I've had the Omakase offering. It's putting yourself in the hands of the kitchen for them to give you what they believe is their best offerings of the night. The only change requested was that two of us substitute the Black Cod or Skirt Steak choice for the Branzino for the main course. We had enjoyed it so much during our last visit that we really wanted it. We've found the kitchen to be extremely accommodating to requests like this so, kudos go out to the Master Chef.

All of the food was prepared perfectly and with extreme attention to detail. As was served in our prior visits, we were served courses of Sashimi (Kampachi, Toro & Quail Egg, and Hamachi), King Crab, Nigiri (an assortment of the night's best including King Salmon, Big Eye Snapper, Tuna, Kampachi, and Tuna), the main course (Branzino, Black Cod, and Skirt Steak), and 4 different desserts. Everything was over the top delicious!

Unfortunately, where Azumi is not even near to the top of their game is that the service does not even come close to the food. In fact, it takes away from what the kitchen is turning out. It's lacking the attention to detail that comes out of the kitchen in that it's just not attentive enough. It's missing the timing quotient that should be commensurate with the kitchen. When a course is served, the proper utensils should be on the table, and the Saki or other beverages should be taken care of so, you're ready to dig in to enjoy the food while also pairing it with the food. Just looking at it as a business, I would have ordered another bottle of Saki last night if the opportunity presented itself prior to delivery of the main course........at that point, as much as I the Saki was gone, I was too far into the course to want to take the time to choose another bottle. Trying to figure out where the slip is, I wasn't able to conclude if it's the design of the restaurant (It's a long walk with no cut throughs from the kitchen to the best window tables) or the training and therefore, competence of the staff that's lending the biggest to the shortfall.

Each time I've visited, I've spent between $200 and $300 PP. It's fair to expect Azumi to be Ship Shape and working on all cylinders in every aspect of the dining experience. For me, the best way to make sure that this happens is to sit at the Kitchen Bar. If all else fails there with the wait staff, Andy or someone else behind the bar will make things happens.

I'll be back because the food is spectacular.

Reviewed 14 May 2016

This location is the best in Baltimore! Right next to the Four Seasons and across from the Waterfront Marriott, a better venue cannot be found! Valet your car and walk the entire area. Sit outside on the patio and enjoy cocktails and a gorgeous harbor view!!!

Reviewed 10 May 2016 via mobile

Went for drinks after spending the evening in downtown. The service was good and the place was very quaint. Nicely decorated. The atmosphere was a mix of well dressed to casual. We had the rice which was very good.

Reviewed 6 May 2016 via mobile

Baltimore finally has a Japanese fine dining option and it's fantastic to boot. From the sake to the eel tempura roll to the sashimi and black cod, everything was perfectly prepared. The only slight miss was the Japanese potato salad mainly because it was just an odd side for the cod. Dessert was a chocolate lava cake that puts Roy's to shame. We willing definitely be back to try the omakase.

Reviewed 20 April 2016

I thoroughly enjoyed my meal at Azumi. I particularly enjoyed my Rock Shrimp Tempura and the saki recommended by the server (served cold of course! :-)) I was by myself for an early dinner, but would have loved to have been with my wife at evening to enjoy the harbor by night over Azumi's tasty fare.