“Nice boutique hotel, needs a price adjustment” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Brexton
Ranked #30 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice boutique hotel, needs a price adjustment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

We recently stayed at the Brexton for 2 nights with a LivingSocial we had purchased. The hotel was very nicely renovated, and they did a nice job of taking advantage of the unique features of the building and making the most of the space in the rooms. As far as our stay goes, here a few things I would note:

* the staff was very friendly and welcoming
* breakfast was offered each morning, but not much of a selection -- a few cereals, bagels/muffins, yogurt and some fruit (the breakfast room was very nice though!)
* there were only approx. 6 parking spots available, but parking wasn't an issue because we believe there were only a few people staying there
* room was clean and cool, our view was not :o\ (you would think with only a few rooms occupied that they would give us a room with a nicer view than the dirty 'apartment' living out back...we just kept our blinds closed so it didn't bother us)
* location -- not bad, we drove to the harbor (took approx. 10 min with traffic) but there is a free shuttle nearby that you can also take. I'm not sure it would be a very enjoyable walk, but it would be doable (maybe 15-20 min?)
* not a big deal to us, but the elevator was by far the slowest I have ever seen! We are young, and didn't mind, so we just took the stairs each time.

While we had a nice stay, I can say that I don't think we will be returning. My biggest pet peeve with this hotel is the inflated rates. I was amazed to find how much they ask per night at this place! It is nice, but nothing extraordinary? Anyone can stay a night or two right at the harbor for the price they list AND get a better place to stay for the money. I am by far not crazy picky when it comes to a place to stay, but I do believe in getting what is appropriate for your money. I would honestly not pay more than a hundred a night to stay in a place comparable to this. I think if the pricing were adjusted, they would really see a business boom and start filling the place regularly!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Roseygrl
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

Just stayed in the Kind Edward Suite at the Hotel Brexton in the Mt Vernon neighborhood of Baltimore while visiting some colleges with my son. The suite was a great up-grade (thanks Paul, Milton and Ebony for your other kindnesses as well!) and we felt the history related to the building, which has been beautifully restored, having been the family home of Wallis Simpson. Cool! We'll definitely be regulars at the Hotel Brexton if my son gets into Johns Hopkins (fingers crossed!)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Patty L
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

After reading very different reviews of the hotel, I was a little concerned about what I might find. I worried needlessly! The room - entire hotel - was very clean and quaint. The staff were pleasant and helpful.

This is a boutique hotel, not a major chain. That has its pros and cons. I liked the unique features of this historic site including the tiny elevator!

My room had a couple bubbled pressboard pieces of furniture. The quality of the bedside tables and desk didn't bother me. The bed was very comfortable.

This hotel looks like an old castle and my bathroom was in the turret. This made for a very interesting layout and I liked it.

The hotel is located in an historic part of town (Mt. Vernon) that includes both beautiful and rundown areas. The walk to the Inner Harbor is an easy 16 block walk. I enjoyed the exercise and getting a feel for the non-tourist areas of Baltimore. Sure, there are some homeless folks but no more than any other big city.

So if you want unique and historic as opposed to a cookie cutter chain and you want to experience a non-tourist area of Baltimore, Hotel Brexton is for you.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Mpparis
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

We stayed here with the Living Social deal and were hoping to use it for a long weekend, but there was no availability. We opted for coming up just before July 4 and had a pleasant stay. The Mt. Vernon neighborhood is cute with nice old houses and it's near the University of Baltimore, so there are great coffeehouses and restaurants nearby. We used the free Charm City Circulator bus to get around and it was about 3 blocks to the bus stop. Also, it's a short walk from the train station, which is convenient. The hotel was clean with nice staff and a good breakfast: a sweet coffee machine with a bunch of different options, croissants, bagels, yogurt, fruit, etc. We got a free bottle of wine with our deal and enjoyed it on the patio near the parking area after the sun went down and it was cooler.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank msmolins
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

This was the best stay I have ever had in all my years of traveling. When I arrived at the Brexton, there was no parking but as soon as I walked in and spoke to Milton, he immediately gave me a parking space and checked me into my room. During my seven days stay at this Hotel, I managed to meet with different staff members and each time I was met with warmth and a smile. They were very genuine and showed that they cared. The Coffee Machine in their Café was to die for, I was having close to five cups a day of coffee, and this Machine was grinding the beans while you wait and hence guaranteeing you a fresh cup each time. They also had the best continental breakfast you will ever find elsewhere. It was nice and simple. The rooms were very clean and I loved the beds, I had the greatest experience in a bed away from home and I certainly commend the staff and management of this hotel. The showers were great, normal standard and in general I enjoyed my stay and I would highly return and recommend this Hotel. They have a great Staff, like Esther who looked like a student and very polite, Paul the Manager, always greeting you with a smile and asking if there was anything else that he might do for you, Milton and Melody, very good with direction and always recommended a great restaurant within walking distance.

Room Tip: Corner Rooms are great and especially their Superior Queen room are larger with a Sleep Sofa and a f...