“Great Sushi, big portions”

Daruma Japanese Steak House
Ranked #287 of 2,161 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 12 January 2017

We had the hibachi and sushi rolls and were really happy with both. The hibachi was a really fun show and the portions were very big. They also give you noodles which many don't. Their prices were also very reasonable, especially the sushi.

Reviewed 21 October 2016 via mobile

Japanese food in general, is usually good. This place is no exception, however what made this stand out, was the entertaining chef. My grandkids loved him and so did the adults. He was extremely funny and a great chef. Definitely keeping this place in my 'return ' column.

Reviewed 20 October 2016

Let me preface this by saying that for my whole life, I have adored Japanese steakhouses. It's where I always chose to go for my birthday dinner as a kid (and often, even now). I love the "show" - even if they are now all the same no matter where you go (really? no one can thing of something other than the volcano/choo-choo train?). I love the grilled yumminess, the sauces, the garlic/salt overload, everything.

So, I've visited many such restaurants, all over the country. And I'm sad to report that this was the one that I liked least. I'm not usually one who is bothered by kids at restaurants but they seated our adult party of 6 with a family that had two unhappy and, therefore, mostly wailing toddlers, which did not make anyone have a more enjoyable evening. More importantly, though, the food was lacking. The miso soup tasted weird -- sort of a rancid oil undertone to it. I didn't want to say anything because I didn't want to make the people who had recommended the restaurant feel bad, so I was relieved when one of them commented on it also and set it aside as I had. The salad was pretty good but nothing out of the ordinary. It's hard to ruin grilled meat, but the sauces for the main course (usually my favorite part) were so anemic and watery that they were barely worth using. I think this may have been the first time in my adult life that I have not finished the main course at a Japanese steakhouse.

In a word, disappointing.

Reviewed 23 August 2016

As a surprise, my friends took me to Daruma for my birthday! l love the way the chef entertained us at the same time cooking our food in front of us! The way he remember who had what was impressive as well. There was 13 of us, and we all enjoyed our food. I had the lobster and filet dinner. Hmmmm--delicious! Yes I will go back.

Reviewed 20 August 2016

My parents and I went there to celebrate that I scored a passing grade on my final chapter test for my college history course. The food is amazing. The chefs are very talented. Get there early or set up a reservation via phone, cause the restaurant is very popular for birthday dinners and it can get very crowded.