“Kudos for excellent customer service, hotel is dated”

Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront
Ranked #10 of 133 Hotels in Jacksonville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Kudos for excellent customer service, hotel is dated”

First the positives:
-Let me rate the customer service. The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful, although there is no dedicated line for GoldPassport Elite members. Either way there are plenty of staff on hand and the wait is not long. Once you are at the desk, the staff takes the time to make sure all your questions are answered.
-What really impressed me was the hotels reaction to an unexpected event. I was there for a donwtown festival that got cancelled due to an impending tropical storm in the area. The hotel, recognizing that a lot of guests were there for that event and would want to leave to avoid the storm, made the decision to allow guests to leave withouth an early departure penalty. This clearly cost the hotel revenue, but they placed guest satisfaction before profit, major kudos for that.
-The restaurant provided good food for both breakfast and dinner, with a creative pasta buffett option for dinner which was a nice touch.
-The location of the hotel is great, one easy walking block from the Jacksonville Landing and a bridge if you like to walk accross bridges for a view. Dowtown Jacksonville however is downright scary on weekends, and nothing is open, so unless there is an event going on, don't pick this location for a weekend escape.
-The river view rooms have great views of the sunset, river, and bridges, and the all glass doors that actually open to a balcony are a plus when most hotels this day an age are sealed.

Now the negatives:
-The hotel is clearly dated and carpets and furniture are worn out. To be up to current Hyatt Regency standards, it needs a major facelift.
-The workout facility is clearly undersized for the number of rooms in the hotel, so depending on what is going on, expect to wait for equipment.
-Of the 8 or so elevators, only 2 or 3 seem to be working and the wait was always long
-The pool area seemed like a war zone, but I think this may be due to the type of people staying at the hotel on this particular ocassion. The pool on the rooftop is actually quite nice.
-Parking is $15 per day, which seems a little much given plenty of other parking available in the surrounding area.
-No refrigerator in the room, and a new trend I noticed at Hyatt's, no safe deposit box in the room. And given that this is a very large convetion hotel, with all kinds of different guests, this should be a priority.

Given the very slim choice of hotels in downtown Jacksonville, this seems to be the best choice, but by Hyatt standards, this is on the low end.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear epg_01,

Thank you for staying at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. I hope that Tropical Storm Beryl did not cause too much of a damper on your Memorial Weekend plans. At Hyatt, we genuinely care about our guests and hope everyone made it home safely. We appreciated your very thorough review and will pass on the positive and negative feedback to our managers. We hope to see you again soon!

Executive Assistant Manager – Rooms
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
Sanford, Florida
Reviewed 29 May 2012

At first I was a little skeptical about staying here after reading a few of the reviews. I'm glad that my stay was not as bad as some of the "not so good reviews." When I checked in, the entire staff appread to be genuinely nice. It was not "over done." They seemed like staff that really liked their jobs and have been properly trained in customer service. I asked for a king bed at check in. They gave me an upgrade and a beutiful view of the gorgeous bridge and river! I was grateful. I traveled here for a conference. Everything in the hotel was easy to find and the elevators are extremly quick. What leads me to not give this property a 5 is the old box t.v.'s. I can not believe a hotel as nice as this one does not have flat screens. I was not sure if I was in 2012 or 1992... The room was very comfortable and clean. I am a stickler on a clean room. I did not feel like I had to "tip toe" around the room. The breakfast and lunch was excellent in my opinion. PLEASE offer FREE WiFi. We are in 2012. This is obviously a business friendly hotel however I felt like they nickle and dime you just becuase they know you will need these services. You will need a car on this property. I am thankful I did, otherwise expect to spend major money, money, money... I would stay here again because of the kind staff. Kindness is key and high on my list.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank E H
Dear E H,

Thank you for staying at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront and forming your own opinion about our hotel. We appreciate your positive and constructive feedback regarding your stay. At Hyatt our goal is to provide ‘authentic’ hospitality and from what I read, it sounds like our staff delivered. In regards to the tv’s and WI-FI, I will share your comments with our upper management team. Again, thank you for choosing Hyatt and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Summerville, South Carolina
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We booked this hotel via Priceline name your own price and got a great price. The staff were very nice and professional. We were given a complimentary upgrade to a river view room on the 14th floor. The view was lovely. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. There is a rooftop pool on the 19th floor with a hot tub and of course an amazing view of the river and downtown Jacksonville. At 7 am I had the pool and hot tub to myself but at 8 pm there were lots of families there. Big comfy canopied chairs, padded loungers, tables and chairs were all around the pool area.There was also a poolside bar with limited hours. The Landing which is a happening downtown area is a short walk so we were told. There are restaurants, a gift shop in the lobby and around the corner an Einsteins Bagel place. Truly exceptional customer service through out. When we were there the Scotland vs. Belgium soccer game was being played and the teams were staying there which made for a unique experience. Its not everyday that the guy behind you in line to get your bagel is a professional athlete in a kilt.

Room Tip: ask for a complimentary upgrade especially if you check in late.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Dear Maynger,

Thank you for sharing your kind words regarding your stay at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. It was such a pleasure to read all of the positive comments you had about our staff and facility. I will definitely share your feedback with the rest of our managers. Thank you again for choosing Hyatt and we hope to see you again in the future!

Houston
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I stopped for one night in Jacksonville on the way to Savannah. We got an excellent rate for the city view room at the Hyatt. When we arrived we asked for an upper floor and, if possible, a river view. They were happy to accomodate. The room was very spacious. We had a wonderful view of the river. The bridge is gorgeous at night. There are restaurants within walking distance as well as the ferry to take you across the river. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Shtadlock,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review regarding your previous stay at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. We were delighted to hear you enjoyed all aspects of our hotel from the amazing view from your room, along with our location. If you are ever traveling back through Jacksonville, we hope you choose Hyatt once again!

Executive Assistant Manager - Rooms
Hewlett, New York
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I stayed in Jacksonville at this property for a large conference. I have not stayed anywhere else in Jacksonville in the past. The location was nice - right on the water. Took the shuttle from the airport and it was $14. Cabs in general were very inexpensive in Jax and you will need one. The neighborhoods can be dicey or desolate.
The hotel staff was over all to a fault welcoming and thoughtful. The property is very big and needs an overhaul. You spell a damp mildew smell throughout the property and the color scheme of brown is a through back to the 70s. The gym has been renovated and was nice with a really nice panoramic view. The room was as clean as could be although tired. The tvs are box tvs. Again, brown carpet. I did not get a river view and was on the 4th floor despite being a Hyatt Goldpassport. No uprgrade was offered at any point.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank ladyssecret
HyattMGR1, Manager at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear Ladyssecret,

Thank you for taking time and writing a review of your most recent stay at Hyatt Regency Jacksonville. We were pleased to hear our associates were rock solid, however apologize that our hotel was not to your liking. We appreciate your business and hope you will give our hotel another try.

Executive Assistant Manager - Rooms