All reviewsloyalty programjennie wade housegreat locationwithin walking distancefree breakfastbreakfast sandwichroom was cleansausage gravyplace to stayin townwafflestop floorstreet noiselate checkparking lotbike weekcemetery hill
Reviewed 19 June 2012

We stayed in one of the king feature rooms on June 9 and chose this hotel for the price and location (our upgraded room in this hotel cost less than most of the standard rooms in other hotels). PROS: The staff was friendly and accommodated our early check-in and late check-out without any issues. We enjoyed the hotel pool and spent a few hours there each day we stayed; it was very well maintained with plenty of chairs. The location is the best part of the hotel, we walked to the Dobbin House Tavern, the bars and shops in the center of town, and did a ghost tour of the Jennie Wade house (next door to this hotel). The king feature room was very large, with a shower and whirlpool tub. Although we saw one bug on the bed, the room was very clean. The complimentary breakfast was more than sufficient. CONS: We did notice a slight smell but got used to it; it would have been nice to have a few complimentary bottles of water; the toiletries were sparse (shampoo, no conditioner); walls were thin and we were awakened by a TV at 6am. Also, the ice machine in the annex building was broken so it was a little inconvenient to keep walking to the other building for ice or vending machines. None of these were big issues, and I would consider staying here again if we returned to Gettysburg.

The worse part of our trip occurred as we were leaving and was no fault of the hotel. As we sat at the pool prior to checking out, we heard a dog barking from what sounded like the parking lot, but we couldn't find it. Over an hour later (in 90+ degree heat), we checked out and loaded up our car, then heard a dog whining in a nearby car... as it began to bark at us, we realized it was the one we heard earlier. One window was cracked less than an inch and the dog was frothing at the mouth (sign of heat stroke). I immediately went back in and informed the girl at the desk, who said she would look into it. About 10 minutes later the owner of the dog came out, blew us off when we tried to tell him we were concerned about the dog, opened the car door and waited for us to leave. It seemed likely he was just going to wait till we left and leave the dog again. I assume the hotel called him and that's the only reason he came back out. So, I am glad that the hotel staff did contact him about it; however, the whole situation put a big damper on our trip. Other than this experience, our stay was very pleasant and the hotel met my expectations.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FNB354
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your visit with us. We were glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. I do apologize for issues you encountered. I have no idea what the smell may have been. Our housekeepers do an excellent job cleaning so I am not sure what that odor could have been? Unfortunately we had some problems with water bugs. We have them under control now but when we had a very rainy spell they seemed to love us! The shampoo that we put in the rooms has conditioner in it. It's one less plastic bottle for the land fills. I certainly hope that your room had all the other goodies that we put in each room-body lotion-make up remover-shoe shine wipes. I am so sorry about the ice machine. We had to order a part and it is fixed now. I am very upset about the dog! We love our furry friends and do not allow people to leave them in the car! There is a notice in each pet friendly room advising our guests of this. Some people have no common sense. We have called the police in the past for such incidents. I am truly sorry that it put a damper on your visit. I do hope that you will stop to see us if you are back this way. It would be our pleasure. Have a wonderful Summer!

Reviewed 17 June 2012

this hotel is right in the shopping and restaurant area. You can walk to almost everything from here. Room were great. A little noisey in the front rooms, so request a room in the back by the pool. Breakfast is included and was excellent.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your visit. The 1863 inn has one of the best locations in town. Driving can be a bit frustrating so it's always a plus to be able to just park the car and walk. We provide our guests with a clean comfortable room at a resonable rate. Our Free "Rise and Shine" breakfast seems to be a big hit. We offer a very nice selection of hot and cold items. The town is getting ready for the big 150th Anniversary of the battle next year. There will be many exciting events. We hope you will be able to join us. Thank you again for the review. Have a wonderful Summer!

Reviewed 8 June 2012

My husband and I have been planning a trip to Gettysburg for the past year or so. When deciding on a place to stay, I was very selective in what I wanted. It had to be close to attractions, reasonably priced and accepted pets. I must say this hotel more than met our needs. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the rooms were nice and clean and quite comfortable. Even the towels were soft. Location is great and truly is within walking distance to most attractions. My only small complaint is that we were on the 5th floor with 2 dogs and that made getting downstairs a little difficult at times but all in all, it was a wonderful trip and I do recommend this hotel as a great place to stay. We plan on coming back next year for the 150th anniversary.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We are glad that you enjoyed your visit. The location of the hotel is great-just park and walk. And we love our "furry" friends! I do apologize for the location of the rooms. For future reference it may be helpful to call us and request a room on a lower floor if you are bringing puppies with you. We will try our best to assign a room that is as close to the ground level as possible. Thank you again for the kind words. I will let the staff know that you were pleased. They love to hear that they are making our guests happy! We hope to see you next year! Have a wonderful Summer.

Reviewed 2 June 2012

Stayed two nights at the inn. The hotel was in a good location and was clean, but very old. Rooms were fairly small and beds were horrible. Only have doubles. I didn't really understand the star ratings as this hotel is supposed to be a 3 star and the comfort suites, a much newer up to date building is rated a 2 star. If you don't mind old outdated buildings then this hotel is for you!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2012

Thank you for your review on your recent visit with us. I am not sure how you may have made your reservation. We certainly do have rooms with king size beds. Perhaps we were sold out of those rooms when you booked. In fact, we have 2 very large rooms with a king size bed and a huge bathroom that has a whirlpool tub and a floor to ceiling tiled shower. Our rooms with 2 double beds are actually a bit on the large size compared to most. You are correct when you say the building is not new. However, our rooms are clean and well appointed. We offer all the goodies of the bigger, newer hotels. The rating on a hotel is not based on the age, It is based on the cleanliness and what the hotel offers it's guests. You can stay at a brand new property and have a miserable experience. We provide a clean, comfortable room at a resonable rate with the best location in town. Our staff does a wonderful job. I do apologize if you were unhappy with the beds in your room. I am not sure if you mean the mattress or the fact that you had a room with 2 beds. It is very difficult to please everyone when it comes to mattress preference. We would have been happy to move to you to a room with a new mattress-just replaced this past April- but we were unaware of an issue. Our goal is to make sure that every guest has a wonderful experience. I do hope that you will consider us for any future visits to Gettysburg. Thank you again for the review. We use this information to improve our service. Have a great Summer!!

Reviewed 28 May 2012

the hotel is within walking distance from many attractions in gettysburg. parked our car and off we went. room was clean. nice big bathrooms. good breakfast. however, i did not know that there was somekind of event going on that weekend for grey hounds. i think the staff should have imformed me of this when we went in and asked for a room. not only grey hounds , but a barking dog all night. so if you dont bring a dog, make sure you ask for a room away from them. i am a dog lover, but when iam on a romantic anniversary weekend with my husband, i really could have done without them. also very over priced. we paid double what we normally pay per night.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent visit with us. We were happy to hear that your room was clean and comfortable. We do apologize for any noise issues from our furry friends. We are a pet friendly hotel and host the greyhounds every April. We have checked our records and found that no complaints were registered with the Front desk. We would have gladly contatcted the owners of the barking dogs but were not aware of the problem. As for the rate during your stay, when you made the reservation I am sure that you were informed of the rate. Rates were higher that week end due to the special event. That is a normal practice. We do not feel that our rates were out of line. For future reference, when you make a reservation at any hotel you may want to inquire if there are any groups staying during the time you will be there. We host many different groups during the course of the year-school groups-athletic groups-groups with pets. They are all welcome. Again, we apologize for the noise issue. We hope that you will visit us in the future. Have a wonderful Summer.