“Staff Went Above and Beyond” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Colton Motel

Colton Motel
Ranked #25 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
Rochester, New York
“Staff Went Above and Beyond”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

The motel is a typical 1960s/70s motel. Some of the items in the rooms are a bit old, but everything worked. My rooms were comfortable and neat. The price is very reasonable for tourist season. Everything is within walking distance.

All the staff were friendly and helpful during my time there.

On my most recent trip, I ended up staying three extra nights due to circumstances beyond my control. The staff (especially Krystal and Trey) were very helpful and went above and beyond during this time. Krystal made sure I had a room for each other those extra nights even though it was during the busy tourist season. Trey even did my laundry, so I would have enough clean clothes to get through those extra days. The two of them helped me find a mechanic to work on my car. Two of the staff (Trey and Richard) took a look at my car, to try to diagnose what was wrong.

Off topic--One of the other reviews mentioned hearing cannon one night. I heard the "ghost" cannon on my first night there two years ago. I personally don't believe in ghost cannon (I visit the town because of my interest in the Ciil War, not because of a belief in ghosts), and am of the opinion that those sounds are created by the living to help keep the Gettysburg Ghost Tourism alive and well in town.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Civil_War_Buff_2011
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

This has to be the absolute WORST place to stay in Gettysburg. DIRTY, WORN DOWN, etc. The Manager is rude and incompetent and the owner is even worse. Had Major issues and NEITHER ONE of them followed through with a phone call. They are Theives and this place should be shut down! WARNING....DO NOT STAY!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank TomnCin

Travellers are raving about these Gettysburg hotels

Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

We went to Gettysburg for the 148th anniversary. We only stayed at the Colton for one night, our last night because the hotel we had the first two was booked on the last night of our stay.
The man at the front desk was very nice, I even checked in a little early. The whole room was clean, no stains, no bugs. I do agree that you may want to take your own pillow, theirs are very small. There are not hair dryers in the room, all you do is go the office and ask for one. I assume that it is the same for the irons and ironing board.
There is coffee available in the office all day, and in the morning there was also pastries. The room was very large, and we also did have a remote for the TV. The air conditioner worked great, I think even better than the first hotel we stayed at, which was a national chain. We had no complaints.

Now, that being said, take it for what it is worth, we stayed in room 20. My son took a shot of the bed area with a disposable camera, I did not get it developed until the day after we got home. I did not sleep very much at all that night. It started with what sounded like gunshots in the room. A LOT of gunshots. Then some deeper, like a cannon. This lasted for about 5 minutes. I drifted back to sleep, and was awoken some time later for a repeat of this. There were all kinds of noises in the room ALL night long. I also had the unmistakable feeling of some sort of presence. My son and his friend slept through the night, I laid awake with my eyes closed pretty much the whole time. His friend got up to go to the bathroom around 5 and I immediately told him to please turn on a light.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank momof2boyz2
Salisbury, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

I am all about cheap and basic, so this hotel was a-okay with me. We stayed in room 14 for 2 nights in June. The BEST thing about this hotel is the location. It is within walking distance from (almost) all the major sites in Gettysburg. There is plenty of museums, shops and restaurants around the area. It is in a very safe area. The place is old, but so what? The room overall was pretty clean, the bathroom was clean. The matress was a little hard, but no big deal. The only thing I didn't like is there is no vent in the bathroom for when you are taking a shower; so I just ended up leaving the door open so I could let some air in. If you are looking for a cheap place to stay in a good location in Gettysburg and don't mind the fact that it is old, then I highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy R
Pomeroy, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2011

I honestly don't know how this hotel has any good reviews! I'm not a complainer, I can find good in most any situation...............EXCEPT this hotel. We stayed here on one of our trips to Gettysburg........to make a long story short, we checked out after the first night and went elsewhere.
I thought we had made a good choice based upon reviews we read and the fact that it was AAA approved......wow were we wrong.
It basically ruined my trip, we got there and the front desk staff were very pleasant I must say. A little rough looking, but pleasant.
Our room was down right filthy, can't say it any nicer. Bed spread was stained, feet stuck to the carpet, we turned the AC on and debris and bugs flew out everywhere. Bathroom window was broken. My husband and I went to walmart and bought our own sheets and tried to sleep the first night, but I was just so uncomfortable with the crowd that was hanging around the place that I couldn't sleep.
The place is way over priced. There are very nice hotels right up the road for less, do yourself a favor and don't waist your time here.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple