“Great Italian Food in Northern Liberties” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
New Hope, Pennsylvania
“Great Italian Food in Northern Liberties”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2011

Modo Mio is a gem of a BYOB restaurant in Northern Liberties section of Philadelphia. Unassuming on the outside, but a ball of energy on the inside. Service was fantastic (Andrew...thanks for making our anniversary memorable) and the food really terrific. Portions are relatively small, so you can go for the 4 course $33 meal that includes dolce. Pastas are all handmade and the ingredients fresh, flavorful and memorable. The decor is pretty basic, but there is a great vibe inside with lots of "oh wow, that was fantastic" faces on the patrons. A bit noisy, but that was part of the charm.

• Visited February 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“A Bit of a Hurry”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2011

Modo Mio serves some of the best bread in the city and has a large menu with an interesting prix fixe "turista menu" of four courses. The best dishes are outstanding while some are mediocre. It is noisy and the waitstaff is inconsistent--sometimes helpful, othertimes downright rude. One tends to feel rushed and their reservation system gets easily messed up. BYOB and cash only.

• Visited October 2010
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Philly
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Treated terribly by owner and waiter!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2010

My friends told me the food was ok. But what really dominated their experience at Modo Mio was the waiter, at the behest of chef/owner, working to turn over the table (hurry to get them out!) ASAP. They were seated while waiting for one other person (who arrived soon thereafter), were pestered to know when she would arrive and were not allowed to even order appetizers until all had arrived (FYI there were empty tables there). When I arrived to meet up with them as they finished dessert, the place was full, but there was no one waiting for a table and only three remaining reservations in the book at the front (I checked when I left). When I sat down, we overheard the chef/owner tell the waiter "I will not serve her!" They were very rude about it and flatly told me that because I was not seated at the same time with my party, I could not order food. Mind you, there were only 3 more reservations on this very rainy night and the place wasn't to close for 2 more hours! Neither I nor my friends have EVER been treated so horribly at a restaurant. The funny thing is, they were acting like Modo Mio was the latest hotspot in NYC and so busy they had to turn people away at the door! Don't get me wrong, I love the neighborhood....but it IS Northern Liberties, not Soho. In the end, I was treated properly, well-fed and more than satisfied at their MUCH friendlier neighbor, Las Cazuelas! Don't waste your time at Modo Mio, go to LAS CAZUELAS!!!!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank stephamina
Narberth, PA
“Too Much Salt”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2009

Our server was excellent; knowledgeable and attentive. Unfortunately, that was the highlight of the meal. The menu was varied and interesting, but the execution poor. Several dishes came out tepid. The amount of salt overwhelmed any possibility of subtlety. The noise level is quite loud due to the bare walls and floors. Too bad! On paper, this looked like a winner.

1 Thank anfrankel
Philadelphia, PA
“Great BYOB, will definitely be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2009

I visited this restaurant on a Friday night. We were two couples and had made reservations at 7:30. We were seated immediately. The restaurant is very small, but cozy. There are basically two rows of tables and you sit fairly close to the table next to you. We all ordered from the turista menu and everything was fabulous. There was not one thing that we ate that wasn't delicious. The waiter was very accomodating and even chilled our bottle of champagne in the fridge while we ate. We were celebrating an engagement and birthday so the waiter also brought us Sambucca to go with our dessert. One slight problem was that we were asked to leave when we were done eating our dessert. We were sitting around chatting and were slightly late for our reservation! We will definitely be returning for another celebration meal!