“Such a fun activity for a group!”
Review of Escape the 1980s

Escape the 1980s
Ranked #8 of 59 Fun & Games in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: You're stuck in a 1980s time warp. Your group has 60 minutes to get through four rooms and find clues that will unlock doors, open padlocks, and hack into computer systems. Your goal is to get "back to the future". Make calls from push button 80s phones....enter a "secret code" into a talking computer system...press "musical notes" to unlock doors - and tons more. Knight Rider, the Goonies, Walkie Talkies and much more. Whether you're celebrating a birthday, going out on a date, doing something rad with friends or looking for some non-dorky team building - this is a totally righteous, most unusual adventure.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Celebrated a friend's birthday with a group of 10 people. The hosts were very friendly and helpful in explaining the rules. The room itself was just the right amount of challenging and fun. This was the first escape room our group had ever done and we all had a great time! The room is located near tons of bars and restaurants, so finding somewhere to have drinks/grab a bite to eat is super easy. I would highly recommend!

All reviews
"childhood"
"era"
"memorabilia"

Reviewed 4 April 2018

We loved this escape room! Tons of fun detail, very well thought out, and a good balance between challenging but not absurdly random or difficult. We did it before dinner on a Saturday night and it was the prelude to a great evening. Would definitely recommend!

Reviewed 30 March 2018

"Whether you're celebrating a birthday, going out on a date, doing something rad with friends or looking for some non-dorky team building - this is a totally righteous, most unusual adventure." This advertisement could not be more accurate! I brought a group of college students to the escape room as part of their weekend retreat. Though there were no 80's babies in the room, everyone got a kick out of the VCR tapes, music, and old school toys. It was a great evening activity and people who came in rolling their eyes couldn't stop raving about it afterward. Shout-out to Chris, who was a great facilitator!

Reviewed 7 January 2018

We had our group holiday party in the party room which had an original NES, Atari, 80's board games, music videos, movies, and karaoke. We had some good food delivered from some local restaurants.The staff was extremely accommodating and helpful. The game itself was fun and challenging with some radical 80s nostalgia.

See more reviews
Reviewed 31 December 2017

My Background

My wife and I have experienced nearly forty escape rooms, mostly near Orlando, Florida, and Virginia. Typically, we just do them just as a party of two. We favor story, theming, and scenery: we're looking for immersive adventures that are impossible to get at home. Fantasy, science fiction, and horror are the genres we tend to gravitate towards, and we prefer them all with a healthy dose of whimsy.
---------------------
I don't know if Steel Owl is one escape game designer or multiple, but they're one of, or some of, the best in the business.

My wife and I are 1982 babies: this was a fantastic reliving of our childhood. I can't speak to people of other ages, but our group had four young 20-somethings in it and they seemed to have a great time as well.

Great host, great experience. Only real drawback is parking: this was our first trip to Philadelphia, but it seems like parking is universally sparse and expensive everywhere. Locals might be desensitized to how bad it is? I don't know, but it's not particular to Steel Owl. Everywhere good in the city seems to be in this same leaky boat. Just figured I should mention it: plan for a few minutes of walking to the door.

As I said in my review of the Franklin Institute rooms, the standard limit of 12 people is too high. We only had 6 in our group and that was at the limit of how many strangers I'd want to work with. I don't know what needs to be done to stay profitable, but I'd rather have a smaller set of rooms with fewer people, than 12 total. Like parking, though, the limit might be a downtown-in-an-old-city thing. The solution might be to just rent a cheaper building in a farther-out suburb or a city with a lower cost of living.

I hope Steel Owl continues to have success; I'd love for them to branch out southwards! Next time I'm in Philadelphia at least, I'm definitely checking out whatever else they've done.