“Yummy Tacos!”
Review of El Poquito

El Poquito
Reserve with OpenTable
El Poquito is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #779 of 4,718 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 20
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: El Poquito is a delightful collision between an artisanal taco truck and an old school cantina-where the flavors are intense, the service is familiar, and the fresh-juiced margaritas flow like water. Inspired by the beach side cantinas and taquerías of Baja Mexico and named after the iconic motorcycle that was the favored mode of transport amongst local surfers, El Poquito ("the little one") is winning fans with a whimsical approach to quality food and drink in Philadelphia's Chestnut Hill neighborhood. Relaxed and fun. Always fresh. Local and sustainable a must. Organic, when possible. Gluten-free, no problem. Vegetarian, lots of options. Inside or out. Nightly happy hour specials. Taco Tuesday! Our Food Veteran chef Andrew Sabin brings the Baja experience to life with his farm-to-table inspired interpretation of traditional cantina dishes, including tacos, enchiladas, ceviches, and salsas. Don't miss Chef Andrew's nightly specials when he gets a chance to showcase the freshest ingredients available from local farms and purveyors.
Reviewed 1 August 2015

Just went to El Poquito, we enjoyed the atmosphere, decor and food! We had the Korean & Carnitas tacos with an order of the guacamole. Everything was very tasty!

The Margarita was just ok and for $9, it should be amazing! My only other concern is why, the guacamole has to be $10 for a small bowl!

Other than that it was a nice dinner!

Reviewed 23 July 2015

We were excited for the opening of this new restaurant in our neighborhood, particularly upon learning it was related to Distrito, a great Mexican restaurant in West Philadelphia. The decor is well-thought out, although the choices are not as bold as those for Distrito. (One nod is the motorcycle on the wall.) The indoor tables are elevated (a bit odd), so that you need to climb up onto a platform to sit on the bench. Not sure how that will work for disabled patrons. Indoors, the noise level is very high. The outdoor garden setting is very nice--colorful overhead lights, a very pleasant, relaxed atmosphere. They have added outdoor propane heaters (someone complained about being cold in an earlier review.) We have been there half a dozen times and found outdoors comfortable, although at last night's visit we were subjected to a truly awful live music event with a singer-songwriter (I guess the moral is, don't show up on a Wednesday night?)

Oh, the food: it's a mix of traditional, what-you-would-expect American Mexican and what they call "street tacos", which means tacos made from Brussels sprouts, Korean barbecue tacos, etc. The street tacos are actually pretty good--I recommend all of those over the traditional fare. We tried the chicken fajitas las night and found them very salty. This is one of those restaurants that does not serve complimentary chips and salsa (which I think is a plus--too often one fills up on that stuff before the ordered food arrives.) On various occasions we tried the guacamole, which is fine, and the pico de gallo, also fine. We tried some of the special salsa: smoked onion is reminiscent of 1970's sour cream onion dip. Habañero-cashew was similarly creamy and not as spicy as we were warned. The fluke ceviches was delicious. Portions are small, but we prefer that to being overwhelmed with too much food. All in all, while I think there are some kinks to iron out, this is a serviceably good local restaurant, a bit timid in their decor and menu choices. I hope they are able to flourish in this location.

Reviewed 8 July 2015

It was a wonderful evening for sitting outside and eating. Because we're from Colorado, we eat a lot of Mexican food. But nothing like this! Everything had a unique flair, a unique flavor.

It was absolutely delicious - every single thing we ordered.

And the atmosphere was just as good. We were outside, and our dinner spanned about two hours, even though they were busy. There was no problem with noise, the wait staff was just great, and everything together made for a great evening.

We'd go back to El Poquito in a heartbeat. I want that Gazpacho Soup recipe!!!

Reviewed 5 July 2015

I have eaten dinner here 5 or 6 times since the restaurant opened a year ago. At first I was not happy with the place due to the pricing and the menu choices, but now, I am really enthusiastic about this place. This Mexican restaurant is sophisticated and top-notch. The cooking is exceptional. The flavors are amazing! Service is very good. The interior of the building is quite nice, but it is the wonderful outdoor seating area that I like the best. It's a great place to eat in warm weather because the patio seating is comfy and well laid-out. Most of all, it is the exquisite flavors of the food that excites me about the restaurant. Whether it is the 4 choices of salsa, or the corn on the cob side dish (drizzled with sauce and spices), or the chicken enchiladas in a fantastic thin red sauce, or the magnificent and crispy char-grilled asparagus spears, or the super yummy donut-like churros for dessert, I think the food is delicious and the menu is creatively-designed. For me, not knowing Spanish, the menu was difficult to comprehend at first. They don't call things by their normal names. The don't call a chicken enchilada a chicken enchilada, and they don't call corn on the cob corn on the cob. Additionally, the pricing is unusual in my experience because every little thing costs extra. Nothing is included with any platter. Each small cup of salsa costs $4. You can order enchiladas for $15 or so, I forget the exact amount, but when you add things like chips, salsa, guacamole, rice and beans and corn on the cob, your meal ends up being surprisingly expensive. When my wife and I eat here, and have cocktails, we expect to spend $100 total. If we get out of there with a $60 tab, we feel lucky and it means that we just had a light meal and a drink. But the bottom line is that the food tastes wonderful. Having a meal here, especially while sitting out on that patio, is a special and memorable experience. Highly recommended. My compliments to the chef.

Reviewed 30 June 2015

It had very good service, prices OK: moderate/reasonable, food average I like it much more seasoned/spicy.