“Big lunch and as good as I remember as a kid”

Famous 4th Street Delicatessen
Ranked #46 of 5,035 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 20
Cuisines: Diner, Deli
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Reviewed 24 August 2016 via mobile

I used to come here years ago with my family and decided to introduce it to my daughter who is now living in Philly. Giant corn beef sandwich, with enough for another person/left over. Great rye bread and yummy side of potato pancakes.

Reviewed 20 August 2016 via mobile

Sampled a classic black and white and a chocolate dipped macaroon and both were delicious. They also make a mean pastrami and corned beef

Reviewed 18 August 2016

Visited my daughter in Philly. She took us to dinner to a newish hip place that was not a success with me. I had to send my dinner back... I was probably visibly sulking, so the daughter said "I know what I'll do" and took us to the 4th St Deli.

WHAT A RELIEF!

The very nice middle-aged waiter brought a plate of pickles and homemade bread right away. Both the half-sour pickles and the sauerkraut were way above average. As we had started the dinner at that other place and were not as hungry as we should have been, I ordered a plate of cheese blintzes, my wife passed on the food (well, she is a light eater) and my daughter ordered a piece of strudel with cheese filling. What came was a plate good for three with LARGE blintzes expertly deep fried (I guess for no more that 15 sec) and wrapped around excellent filling. I didn't think blintzes could taste better than those my grandmother used to make in the old country. I was wrong... The filling in the strudel was also excellent.

I watched people at the next table eating the generous pastrami sandwich and rued the fact that I was not up to it at the time...

We also picked up some bagels and rugelach and such for next morning. the people at the deli counter and the waiter couldn't be nicer and "homier".

So what if some people say that this food is not fashionable and not "hip" -- it's prepared very well (and not all the remaining delis nationwide offer good cooking, I can name a few that must be avoided) and served with a heart.

I will be back.

Reviewed 15 August 2016

Now I was reading the reviews...they gave this place low reviews because they give you a lot and its expensive. So my view is this. Go with a lot of people! Duh! We had gone here for dessert and coffee. Now the coffee is $3.50 a cup free refills. It has to be the best coffee I've had around. I made sure I had multiple cups to make up the cost. We decided to eat in and take dessert home. Yes they are pricey, but if you like pastrami - one sandwich could fill 2-3 and possibly 4 people. We opted for the BLT, which was good - wasn't piled high with bacon. That's ok... the potato pancakes are to die for. Its a Jewish deli and half the things I wasn't sure what it was but they will explain them to you. Our dessert was two slices of cake at $9.50/each BUT each slice Is like four regular slices. Its a nice place, staff is friendly and so are the customers. We got really friendly with the tables around us.

Reviewed 11 August 2016

My kids love the matzo ball soup, which is big enough to share and the sandwiches are HUGE so one can be split. The pastrami is amazing, not fatty and best flavor. The deserts are incredible and portions are huge.