“Great Paella with Lobster!”
Review of Mixto

Mixto
Reserve with OpenTable
Mixto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #124 of 4,718 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: US$ 15 - US$ 35
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: City Centre East
Cross street: 12th Street
Description: Mixto is a two-story natural wood and exposed brick building located on the east side of downtown Philadelphia on the historic Antique Row. We have been opened for ten consecutive years. Our vision has been to bring an array of flavors of the Cuban, Latin American and Caribbean cuisine to the Center City area. We are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner with bar service and an extensive wine selection. Mixto offers outdoor dining with a South Beach Miami ambiance during the spring, summer & fall when the weather permits.
Reviewed 29 May 2016

There are downstairs and upstairs eating areas tat both have bars.

Visited Mixto for a birthday party. One of the appetizers was the mac&cheese; which was delicious and NOT watery; which can happen if not prepared correctly and the mixture of cheeses was just right.

Ambiance is nice and the wait and bar staff were both friendly.

The main course was the Paella for one and it comes in a big bowl with a lobster claw and a half of lobster sticking out. The Paella had shrimp, chicken, scallops, mussels in the shell, and clams in the shell; all served over yellow rice.

I would visit here again to try the Paella again.

Reviewed 21 May 2016 via mobile

After a very long and rainy spring the sun finally came out! We were visiting Philly and went for dinner at mixto. Took advantage of the sun and sat outside
The restaurant offers a hybrid of Latin and Caribbean offerings. While the food was good and tasty it seems designed to an American palate and not a Latin American one.
The staff (starting with Julio the manager) was super nice and friendly and overall was a great experience.

1  Thank Japando
Reviewed 6 May 2016

Went to Mixto on the recommendation of the B&B owner where my father was staying. It was just a couple of blocks from where he was staying on a relatively quiet corner in West Washington Square area. We had a terrific dinner. We started with a very good Calamares with a delicious roasted tomato dipping sauce. My son and I both had the Lomo Saltado - a Peruvian "Stir -Fry" made with Filet Mignon tips, onion, tomato, cilantro and peppers in a savory mildly spicy sauce. Fantastic, perfectly cooked. My Dad had the Salmon a la Parilla - excellently grilled with a delicious lemon/thyme sauce served with nicely steamed spinach and grilled sweet potato. Then for dessert all 3 of us had the bread pudding which was very good - firm with fruit inside and a la mode. Service was very courteous, knowledgable and attentive. We all 3 would highly recommend MIxto for anyone looking for a great meal in the city, especially if you want to try a relativrly uncommon cuisine.

Reviewed 5 May 2016

On the first day of my trip to Philadelphia in April 2016, I was tired from flying all day from the west coast so didn't want to wander far from my hotel (Alexander Inn). I checked the visitor's guide in my hotel room and noticed the Mixto, an upscale restaurant featuring Latin American and Caribbean cuisine, was just two blocks away. I checked out their menu online and immediately spotted the pan seared scallops over top green peas and asparagus risotto. They had many other entrees that sounded interesting as well but sea scallops are one of my absolute favorites so there was no question in my mind as to which dish I would order. I was also glad to see they had an extensive selection of smoothies as the day was warm and I was thirsty. They give you your choice as to whether you want a milk-based smoothie or a water-based smoothie and I chose a milk-based strawberry smoothie. They brought it with a basket of lighltly toasted baguette slices. Then I was presented with a generous platter of perfectly prepared sea scallops atop a deliciously creamy risotto blended with sliced fresh asparagus (another favorite) and fresh garden peas. I topped off this wonderful meal with flan made with coconut milk. The service staff were very attentive and the restaurant had a pleasant lively atmosphere. Although I sat inside the restaurant had large folding doors that opened onto the sidewalk where tables were also available (although totally full when I arrived). A very enjoyable meal!

Reviewed 4 May 2016

Every time I am in Philadelphia I come here. It has never disappointed me or my friends . Simply love it. Margaritas, , food, ambiance everything is perfect. Fabulous !