“Fresh, Hot, and Cheap!”
Review of El Rey

El Rey
Ranked #507 of 5,099 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Reviewed 12 October 2018

My review title is about our meal - not our date! My wife and I have enjoyed this restaurant on several visits to PHL. Foremost, this restaurant handles food allergies very well. My wife has Celiac disease, and it is so wonderful not to get a bland piece of boiled chicken because a paranoid chef or over-protective server worries that salt or pepper is bad for gluten-sensitive diners. But I digress. The Nachos are huge - literally, and colloquially (as in the way our 'tween says "huge" to mean "good."). We make Margaritas at home from scratch, not from mix, and El Rey's are pretty close to being as awesome as ours are (he said, modestly, but truthfully) and at a very reasonable price. Plus, it's great that you can get them in a pitcher. The Sangria is very sweet and nicely seasoned, but I just end up drinking them like grape soda and telling bad dad jokes all night. Again, I digress. The tacos are hot, fresh, do not fall apart, and are small enough that you can try several different kinds in one meal. I went off our normal path and tried the paella last time and it was excellent - right down to the crawdaddies (that's crayfish). Finally, every time the bill comes we do a double-take and nearly LOL at how reasonable the meal is. The two things we would change about El Rey are that it gets really noisy and can be hard to hold a conversation if you are in a big party; and their reservation system is bizarre. They only take reservations for parties of 4 or fewer. But they want you to call ahead with big parties. They just need to get their chorizo together on this, and it will be great!

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

I use to eat at this restaurant when it was a diner. Walking by I noticed the new sign. I decided to try. We had the Duck Burrito and Chicken
Quesadilla. Food was ok. Service was good.

Reviewed 1 August 2018 via mobile

Their margarita during happy hour is good. I only liked their steak tacos best. You’ll get charged to have a tiny plate of salsa verde, where you could buy a whole jar for the price they charge you.

Reviewed 2 July 2018

My boyfriend and I came here for dinner and ordered a few simple dishes: chicken enchiladas, rice and refried beans. The chicken enchiladas were soggy and prepared in a green chili sauce which neither of us enjoyed. The rice arrived with peas and carrots in it, and tasted a lot like something that one would order in a Chinese restaurant. I didn't think it was possible to ruin refried beans, but the beans were pureed and mixed with anise, something I have never come across in any Mexican restaurant. If you are visiting Philadelphia and want to go out for Mexican food, I would not recommend this restaurant. However, they do serve decent alcoholic beverages.

Reviewed 22 May 2018

food was good, with a different type of menu than the normal Mexican restaurant. I ordered the flank steak which was delicious. it came with spaghetti squash which was a nice accompaniment and fried avocado. I think I would have preferred raw avocado though, as it had sort of an old oil taste. flavor of the steak was good, but not the best I've had. Menu didn't have a lot of appealing options for my palate. Service was good, and restaurant was clean and bustling. May try again soon.