“¿american / mexican?”
Review of El Rey

El Rey
Ranked #550 of 5,171 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

I use to eat at this restaurant when it was a diner. Walking by I noticed the new sign. I decided to try. We had the Duck Burrito and Chicken
Quesadilla. Food was ok. Service was good.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 1 August 2018 via mobile

Their margarita during happy hour is good. I only liked their steak tacos best. You’ll get charged to have a tiny plate of salsa verde, where you could buy a whole jar for the price they charge you.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 2 July 2018

My boyfriend and I came here for dinner and ordered a few simple dishes: chicken enchiladas, rice and refried beans. The chicken enchiladas were soggy and prepared in a green chili sauce which neither of us enjoyed. The rice arrived with peas and carrots in it, and tasted a lot like something that one would order in a Chinese restaurant. I didn't think it was possible to ruin refried beans, but the beans were pureed and mixed with anise, something I have never come across in any Mexican restaurant. If you are visiting Philadelphia and want to go out for Mexican food, I would not recommend this restaurant. However, they do serve decent alcoholic beverages.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 22 May 2018

food was good, with a different type of menu than the normal Mexican restaurant. I ordered the flank steak which was delicious. it came with spaghetti squash which was a nice accompaniment and fried avocado. I think I would have preferred raw avocado though, as it had sort of an old oil taste. flavor of the steak was good, but not the best I've had. Menu didn't have a lot of appealing options for my palate. Service was good, and restaurant was clean and bustling. May try again soon.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 15 April 2018

Ate here for lunch before Mutter visit. Very crowded at lunch. Service excellent and friendly. Not "authentic" Mexican but I don't think that's what they are aiming for. Everything is fresh. Good portion size - but if you are super hungry order appetizers. Chips and salsa cost$4.50. They charged me $2 for a thimble-full of salsa even when I asked to have it substituted for all the taco sides (cheaper for them). Beans and rice were extra ($4 each) Drinks were expensive. Total bill when we weren't really all was about $51 for 2 people. I would go again on rare occasions - knowing exactly what it is.

Date of visit: April 2018