“Never again”
Review of El Rey

El Rey
Ranked #545 of 5,104 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Reviewed 2 July 2018

My boyfriend and I came here for dinner and ordered a few simple dishes: chicken enchiladas, rice and refried beans. The chicken enchiladas were soggy and prepared in a green chili sauce which neither of us enjoyed. The rice arrived with peas and carrots in it, and tasted a lot like something that one would order in a Chinese restaurant. I didn't think it was possible to ruin refried beans, but the beans were pureed and mixed with anise, something I have never come across in any Mexican restaurant. If you are visiting Philadelphia and want to go out for Mexican food, I would not recommend this restaurant. However, they do serve decent alcoholic beverages.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed 22 May 2018

food was good, with a different type of menu than the normal Mexican restaurant. I ordered the flank steak which was delicious. it came with spaghetti squash which was a nice accompaniment and fried avocado. I think I would have preferred raw avocado though, as it had sort of an old oil taste. flavor of the steak was good, but not the best I've had. Menu didn't have a lot of appealing options for my palate. Service was good, and restaurant was clean and bustling. May try again soon.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 15 April 2018

Ate here for lunch before Mutter visit. Very crowded at lunch. Service excellent and friendly. Not "authentic" Mexican but I don't think that's what they are aiming for. Everything is fresh. Good portion size - but if you are super hungry order appetizers. Chips and salsa cost$4.50. They charged me $2 for a thimble-full of salsa even when I asked to have it substituted for all the taco sides (cheaper for them). Beans and rice were extra ($4 each) Drinks were expensive. Total bill when we weren't really all was about $51 for 2 people. I would go again on rare occasions - knowing exactly what it is.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 1 April 2018

I didn’t eat lunch before boarding my train to Philadelphia so arrived, checked into my hotel and looked for someplace to eat. I found this place on Tripadvisor and was very happy with my choice.

I decided to sit at the bar although a couple of other tables were occupied. Although it was almost 4, I was able to order the two course lunch special. I ordered the tortilla soup and chicken verde enchiladas. I also ordered a margarita. The people behind the bar were friendly and prompt. My margarita was excellent and they provided chips and salsa, which were very good.

It took about 10 minutes for my soup. It was delicious. Really rich and satisfying—so satisfying that I probably didn’t need my enchiladas. They arrived and were solid. They weren’t quite as good as the soup, margaritas, and chips/salsa but I enjoyed them.

Overall a great experience.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 21 February 2018

We were on a quest for hidden bars in Philly. I'll leave it hidden, and you can look for it......Our intentions were to come here and get on the list for the bar afterwards, but we were in heaven. We were pleasantly surprised at our good fortune that El Rey's drinks and food were an added bonus!
As we waited for our table, we imbibed on a couple of different margaritas. My first one used some lavender, I believe, in it and was wonderful. My eyes were entertained by the decor and lights, while we sipped our cocktails. Once we got to our table, we were put on "the list" for the hidden bar that would be waiting for us after we ate. In the meantime, we had the queso, guacamole, ceviches, and a couple of their tacos. The food was so great, it was hard to NOT come back here the next night. The wait staff was friendly and helpful, as well. Our next treat was our trip through the kitchen and back stairway to the Ranstead Room. Try these both out! You won't be disappointed.

Date of visit: November 2017