“Cool hipster kind of vibe with good food”
Review of El Rey

El Rey
Ranked #507 of 5,099 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Reviewed 15 April 2018

Ate here for lunch before Mutter visit. Very crowded at lunch. Service excellent and friendly. Not "authentic" Mexican but I don't think that's what they are aiming for. Everything is fresh. Good portion size - but if you are super hungry order appetizers. Chips and salsa cost$4.50. They charged me $2 for a thimble-full of salsa even when I asked to have it substituted for all the taco sides (cheaper for them). Beans and rice were extra ($4 each) Drinks were expensive. Total bill when we weren't really all was about $51 for 2 people. I would go again on rare occasions - knowing exactly what it is.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

I didn’t eat lunch before boarding my train to Philadelphia so arrived, checked into my hotel and looked for someplace to eat. I found this place on Tripadvisor and was very happy with my choice.

I decided to sit at the bar although a couple of other tables were occupied. Although it was almost 4, I was able to order the two course lunch special. I ordered the tortilla soup and chicken verde enchiladas. I also ordered a margarita. The people behind the bar were friendly and prompt. My margarita was excellent and they provided chips and salsa, which were very good.

It took about 10 minutes for my soup. It was delicious. Really rich and satisfying—so satisfying that I probably didn’t need my enchiladas. They arrived and were solid. They weren’t quite as good as the soup, margaritas, and chips/salsa but I enjoyed them.

Overall a great experience.

Reviewed 21 February 2018

We were on a quest for hidden bars in Philly. I'll leave it hidden, and you can look for it......Our intentions were to come here and get on the list for the bar afterwards, but we were in heaven. We were pleasantly surprised at our good fortune that El Rey's drinks and food were an added bonus!
As we waited for our table, we imbibed on a couple of different margaritas. My first one used some lavender, I believe, in it and was wonderful. My eyes were entertained by the decor and lights, while we sipped our cocktails. Once we got to our table, we were put on "the list" for the hidden bar that would be waiting for us after we ate. In the meantime, we had the queso, guacamole, ceviches, and a couple of their tacos. The food was so great, it was hard to NOT come back here the next night. The wait staff was friendly and helpful, as well. Our next treat was our trip through the kitchen and back stairway to the Ranstead Room. Try these both out! You won't be disappointed.

2  Thank Stephanie P
Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

I've been here before, it's a kitschy throwback diner that is very popular with the University students and locals. Food is good, happy hour prices are great. No parking and not really wheelchair accessible.
Staff is always young, fun, cute, and efficient. This visit I have to say the server was as always pleasant and extremely efficient and busy busy busy. While he was working his butt off three (3) "Mgmt" were standing there talking and offering no assistance. Felt bad for the guy. After two of the three wondered off the remaining guy did pitch in and help.

Reviewed 19 January 2018

This place is full of character. It's not for those looking for cheap and cheerful Mexican. There's a charge for chips and salsa. There are no rice and beans together (you have to order two sides $$). Still, the guacamole was tasty and the Chihuahua cheese was delish. Skip the quesadillas -- they were more like tacos. And the chilaquilies were an insult to the original with rubbery chicken. I had heard it's good for happy hour, not meals and I can see the truth in this.