“Dismal”
Review of El Rey

El Rey
Ranked #514 of 5,036 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Reviewed 19 November 2017

Not Mexican. The staff are rude and unhelpful. The menu is sad. The food is borderline. Very strange place. It's like an old pub that has tried to become a Mexican place but it's a big fail.

Reviewed 13 October 2017

I had the best tasting cheese enchiladas with verde sauce - ever! And the side of guacamole was the best ever! I thought I had great Mexican food in the past - but I am totally spoiled by El Rey’s food! I have to drive an hour and a half to get to Philadelphia for this great food!

Reviewed 24 September 2017

We were looking for another Mexican restaurant and by passed it. Rather than double back we kept going. My daughter spotted EL Rey and we decided to give it a try.
We had a great meal and some of the best service that I have had in years. The food was fresh and very good. The drinks were fabulous. We enjoyed the fun atmosphere and as I said our waitress was fantastic. All the other staff members were attentive without being in your face. Drinks were always full and table always cleared. I highly recommend it. We all enjoyed it from my 18 year old daughter to my 75 year old mother.

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Our server Cody was awesome. Recommended some great food and drinks. Also pointed us to the mutter museum.

Reviewed 11 June 2017

Found this place by accident and was so happy I did.
I wouldnt call El Rey your "typical" western Mexican place and thank goodness it isnt! What El Rey is, is a place that happily treats your taste buds with authentic Mexican cuisine and tempts you to discover more on more on their menu. I was so happy, I came back the next day for lunch :-)

Try the fundido (Mexican equivalent fondue) with spare rib meat - its pure heaven. Follow this up with Chicken Pastor and you will have a very happy tummy!

Recommend this for friends, family or just going solo.