Alexander Inn
US$ 265
US$ 169
US$ 161
1,431 results
All reviewsboutique hotelbay windowcontinental breakfasthard boiled eggswithin walking distanceyogurtdiscounted parkingcenter cityfew blocksrooms are smallsingle roomkimmel centergreat boutiquewalked everywherechain hotelssouth streetwine bar
Reviewed 26 March 2012

TripAdvisor guided us right once again! This 48-room property is an historic gem that has been lovingly renovated and maintained. Possibly the most comfortable bed we've had away from home (on a platform so just perfectly firm/supportive). Very friendly staff -- we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Our room fronted on 12th street, and there was quite a bit of traffic noise. It didn't interfere with a good night's sleep, but might have if we weren't on vacation time schedule.
2  Thank Colliesrock
Reviewed 24 March 2012

This is a great small boutique hotel. Beautifully furnished in a contemporary style. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Located in a nice residential neighborhood in easy walking distance to good restaurants and the theater. Across the street from an excellent wine and grazing bar.

Room Tip: Ask for a deluxe room. $149 vs $129 but has a nice seating area for 2 plus a desk.
1  Thank geoffmcdowell519
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Tried to book 10 rooms in September here starting last week; was advised by folks answering the phone that only the general manager, John Cochie, could accommodate such a request. After leaving two unreturned messages, I left a third asking for some of the alleged "customer service" Trip Advisor reviewers were gushing about. That message finally got a response; a very belligerent one. Mr. Cochie said he didn't want our family reunion business because he didn't "like my attitude." Apparently, seeking a return call passes for attitude in his play book. He made a feeble excuse for the first day he didn't call back; but ignored the other attempts to simply get information. I thought other travelers should be aware of his true contempt for customers, and preconcieved notions of his hotel guests.. Our family, spread across five states, reunites in a different Major League Baseball city annually to take in a ball game, visit the stadium and environs, and honor deceased parents. We leave behind footprints and happy hoteliers and restaurateurs. Beware before booking!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank CamCurrie11
jcochie, General Manager at Alexander Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

I am truly sorry that I could not give this person the answers they were insistent on receiving.

This person's initial phone call came in late on a Saturday. I am off on Sundays and Mondays. On my return to work on Tuesday, I became involved in a video shoot of the Inn. I listened to this guest's two messages late on Tuesday. We are on the East Coast, she is on the West Coast. One of the messages was specific about how she could not talk from work; and that I would have a one-hour window of time to call her to discuss her request (7:00 AM West Coast time between her getting out of bed and her going to work).She wanted a group discounted rate; and also wanted to use her AAA card for all rooms being booked (although she would only be in one room and AAA benefits are non-transferable). She also indicated that this would be a family reunion.

I telephoned this person early on Wednesday and immediately apologized for not having returned her call the day prior due to the video shoot (my "feeble excuse").

I explained that the Alexander Inn specializes in individual leisure and business travel. Ours' is a small property that does not physically support "group" business, especially reunions because we do not offer suites, nor do we have public space in which to host hospitality rooms.

I tried to explain that over the weekends we serve upwards of 100 guests in our Breakfast Room which seats 26 persons. An appropriate turnover of tables is important to accommodate all everyone. I tried to explain that, in the past, reunion members would naturally sit while visiting those that do not see often, not relinquishing table space for hours on end.

Our Breakfast Room is simply not conducive to group activity, especially during breakfast hours.

These were not the responses she wanted to hear and unfortunately I had little choice but to say that there was not a desire to do business together.

I thank all guests and potential guests for their considerations of the Alexander Inn. I am proud of our staff's remarkable reputation for quality customer service; before arrival, during their stay, and after departure.

John Cochie
Innkeeper
Alexander Inn

Reviewed 20 March 2012

Ever in search of the perfect place to stay in Center City or Penn's Landing -- perfect meaning clean, well-located, and affordable -- I decided to try the Alexander Inn while traveling solo. My small single room (202) was perfectly clean and comfortable. The room lighting could be better: the overhead light didn't work, and the lamp on the headboard was too narrowly shaded to read in bed. Ended up having to leave on the bathroom light while reading.

Ventilation in this old building is not great. Guests seem to run the fan in their bathrooms for long periods of time, and the sound carries through the vents. When I woke up, my bathroom was steamed up. So were the room windows, which seem to be permanently locked. At checkout the desk person asked how my stay was. I said it was fine except for the funky ventilation and related noise. He just smiled.

Desk service was great, and the free breakfast buffet was quite adequate. Bottom line, I found the Alexander to be better than the various Philly B&B's I've tried (quirky, grumpy proprietors) and of course not as expensive as the chain lodgings. Not the Philly lodging of my dreams, but getting closer.

Room Tip: Bring a clip-on reading lamp if staying in room 202 (maybe the whole 02 line is single rooms).
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank jerseyjazz
Reviewed 19 March 2012

The Alexander is a very comfortable boutique inn with a great center city Philadelphia location. Staff is exceptional, rooms well-styled and comfortable. A decent breakfast in a comfortable dining room is included. A ten-minute or less walk to historic area, Rittenhouse, Avenue of the Arts, Convention Center, Italian Market and South Street. In the "gayborhood" if that matters to you, the Alexander is welcoming to all and a great choice unless you need a big box hotel room or the honors points in your account.