1,039 results
All reviews breakfast delivered queen loft hardwood floors breakfast basket yogurt locust street each morning street noise within walking distance small hotel reception area large bathroom center city charming hotel kimmel center academy of music flat screen tv
Reviewed 7 July 2017

We stayed in June while visiting family. Location is right in the center of the city. Was looking forward to the stay after reading reviews and from pics on website. Very disappointed. No housekeeping service, room was not completely clean upon arrival either. We had a room right by the elevator so we could hear every guest that came and went from our floor. Bed was incredibly small despite space in the room for a larger bed. Mattress was old and soft. Bathroom was large, but shower was a small stall crammed in the corner. We were never told about the free breakfast. We did get a great deal on parking which is hard to find with hotels in center city. When I contacted the manager after the stay (after receiving a request to rate them for Condé Nast Traveler via email) he did offer either 50% off future stay or 20% of our current stay. That was a month ago and despite assurances we would be credited the 20% (we decided we did not want to stay there again) we have yet to be refunded. Had to start a dispute with my credit card company and the hotel has still not responded to them either. And I have a folio documenting the 20% discount. So while it seemed like they were trying to make right on our issues, so far that refund has been an empty promise. Given the poor quality of the room, lack of housekeeping, and now dispute over the refund, I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MichelleSt2013
John B, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2017

MichelleSt2013,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, as it is very important to know where we stand and to take the necessary actions and efforts to improve our service standards. I apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced during your stay. Your comments have been shared with the appropriate departments so that they may be addressed.I also looked into the promised Compensation, as our records are showing that was taken care of as promised in a timely fashion, I believe there can be some sort of a misunderstanding. Please feel free to contact me directly and it will be my pleasure to assist you and to make sure things are completely taken care of.

Reviewed 28 June 2017

Located on the corner of 13th and Locust, The Independent is in a great spot. The decor is charming. David, who checked us in, was friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable. If you stay, make sure you are not on the fifth floor facing Locust. The front wall of the building angles in, creating a cramped shower space and making it awkward to access the toilet, which is right up against the wall. These are small inconveniences, however, and would not have been enough, by themselves, to keep me from returning.
The real issue was housekeeping. We left our room around 10:00AM on our first full day there (we checked in on Wednesday, checked out on Saturday), making sure our "service this room" light was on before we walked out. We returned at 5:30. Our room was untouched, and housekeeping was gone for the day. Not okay. Then, Friday night, we got back to our room around 11:00PM. The AC was dead and our room was 82 degrees. We were moved to a suite (thank you, David) on the second floor. We discovered that there was very little soundproofing. Street noise woke me a couple of times (my wife, too) before things calmed down around 2:00AM. Overall, not a bad experience, but also not what I expect for the money spent.

Room Tip: Stay away from the front rooms on the fifth floor. External architecture creates funky angles.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear GaryMichael,

Thank you for choosing The Independent on your recent visit. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Philadelphia.
I had a chance to read your comments. I was concerned to hear about your experience with our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs, and I was disappointed to hear about the problems you encountered. I know that does not change your experience but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern and are definitely doing something about it. I will make sure to assign you a room on a higher floor facing the back side to ensure a quite night sleep, please feel free to contact the hotel so we can update your profile, once it is completed a request will pop up to make sure moving forward any reservation will include a higher floor request.
I apologize again for the problems, and thank you for taking the time to let me know about it. Without your feedback we cannot continue to improve our services. We look forward to your return to the area.

Reviewed 23 June 2017

The Independent is a petite boutique hotel in the middle of Philadelphia's "gayborhood"- but the only orientation that matters here is "quality" because that's what you'll find. The rooms are spacious with elegant hardwood floors. A simple breakfast (pastry / yogurt / bagel / fruit- you're given multiple choices) is delivered to your door in the morning. L'Occitane products in the bathroom. Easily walkable to everything, including Philly's fabulous South Street. I asked where to get a "wit whiz" and was directed (accurately) to Jimmy's. There are lots of great food options close by. You'll be pleased.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business

Dear BluerSkiesSeattle,
I had a chance to review your feedback, and I was proud to read your comments about our hotel, amenities and services. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

I've shared your comments with all of our staff and I know they are motivated by feedback like yours.Thank you again for your feedback. We truly appreciate knowing that our guests have been well served so we can celebrate our success and work towards even better service in the future.

We look forward to your return when you are in the area again.

Reviewed 7 June 2017

I fell in love with the charm of this hotel. The check in was friendly and quick and came with a complimentary glass of wine. A nice touch after a long day of travel. All the staff I met were outstandingly friendly and helpful. The hotel is clean, quiet and nicely laid out. The rooms are a nice size and clean. I love that the complimentary continental breakfast is delivered to your door, packed to go, or ready to eat in your room. Very nice touch.
There is no restaurant within the hotel, however, you are only steps away to numerous and various restaurants. I agree, you do hear the street noise from outside, but it is the city after all, and a charming and quaint one at that.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank deeannenaylor
John B, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2017

Dear Deeannenaylor,

Thank you for choosing The Independent on your recent visit and for commenting on your recent stay.

It was great to hear how you loved our boutique property and the convenience of our location. I'm also happy to hear the staff was able to help you have a comfortable stay. We hope you will come back to visit us again soon, and until then take care and safe travels.

Reviewed 21 May 2017

We decided to stay overnight (Saturday-Sunday) to enjoy the city during the weekend with lots of activities in the different neighborhoods. This hotel is centrally located and within walking distance points north, south, east, and west of Center City. It is located in the heart of the Gayborhood district.

The room was very spacious and clean. The hotel is small compared to other chain hotels. The free continental breakfast delivered to the room was a nice touch. The lobby is located on the second floor of the building and is quite small. Water pressure (toilet, faucet, and shower) is excellent. The queen room we stayed in had a mini-refrigerator, Keurig Coffee/Tea, a flat screen TV, and a small desk. Walk-in shower (instead of a bath tub) was adequate in size and was clean. Bed sheets and towels were also clean. Staff we came across were all friendly and welcoming.

Overall, the hotel was very good. Unfortunately, we did not sleep very well. We ended up exhausted and miserable waking up on Sunday morning (after a very long Saturday full of events and walking approximately 15 miles throughout the city). I cannot give a higher rating for this hotel for the very reasons stated below.

Between the hours of 12 midnight to about 3:30 am, the area became a haven of unruly, uncivilized "humans" shouting, honking, partying, drumming the corner newspaper dispensers, and creating unnecessary noise making sleep impossible! Philadelphia Police officers arrived on the seen (at the corner of 13th and Locust Streets) but failed to calm the crowds. After 5 minutes of police presence, the police cars left without doing much to control the noise in the area. As Philadelphia residents, who live not too far from this area, we were shocked with the extreme noise of the area and wonder how residents and tourists get enough rest/sleep. I understand that the area is surrounded by nearby bars/clubs but that is not a reason to be uncivilized.

*** For tourists and locals looking to stay in this area, I hope this review will be helpful in choosing the right hotel to stay in. Why stay at a hotel if you cannot get sleep and end up miserable the next day?

*** To the management of the hotel, we hope that you will reach out to the Philadelphia Police Department to maintain/enforce proper behavior and minimize noise in the area especially after 12 midnight. Other recommendations: sound proofing of rooms, heavy curtains, offering guests to stay at a quieter area of the hotel.

We had great expectations of this hotel based on Tripadvisor and Yelp reviews. We were extremely disappointed for such a nice and centrally located hotel.

Room Tip: It gets very, very, very loud and noisy! You will not be able to sleep!
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
John B, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2017

Dear SouthPhillyPT19148,
Thank you for choosing The Independent on your recent visit and commenting on your stay. We apologize for the inconvenience. and we are so disappointed to read the issues you had with your stay regarding the noise. We are looking into it and I hope you feel confident that we will correct it. Please feel free to contact me john.barsoum@theindependenthotel.com. Thanks again and I hope to hear for you soon.