1,028 results
All reviewsbreakfast deliveredqueen lofthardwood floorsbreakfast basketyogurtlocust streeteach morningstreet noisewithin walking distancesmall hotelreception arealarge bathroomcenter citycharming hotelkimmel centeracademy of musicflat screen tv
Reviewed 10 December 2013

This is a great little boutique hotel. We came here straight from NYC so the room seemed HUGE. (Could have fit at least two of our NYC room inside it.) We had a fridge and a place to make coffee, a couch, a fake fireplace and our shower had two shower heads! My only quibble is the fact that the window blinds were broken, making it difficult to raise and lower blinds and there wasn't much sunlight to be had in any case, so that made the room dark. I'm leaving it at five stars nevertheless, because the service was great. We wanted to find a place to do laundry, and the desk clerk/manager offered to wash some non delicate items for us with the hotel laundry for no extra charge. So thoughtful! My husband actually took him up on this (not me, I'm delicate all over :)). Also, the location was great -- you could walk out to a number of very nice restaurants, or just look at the Halloween decorations and the extremely old architecture. Very fun. One other thing -- a free breakfast basket came with the room, and there was more food than you could eat, but luckily most of it was portable, so we just packed it up and took it with us. This saved time and money later in our trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with more light.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katdarcy
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

Dear denisetheartist,

Thank you for choosing The Independent and for commenting on your recent stay.

I am so glad you found the King Suite to be very spacious and comfortable. I am also pleased that you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast delivered to your door, our front desk staff, and our Midtown location. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I love boutique hotels. The quaint, quirky difference are so worth giving up the big hotel chains' travel point. This is one of the best, especially in Philadelphia. It is a small 24 room hotel with each room individually decorated with chic comfortable and tasteful furnishings. I am staying in a king room with amble space to relax and even do a little yoga. The bed is uber comfortable and I didn't want to get up this morning but stay tucked in all warm and cozy. The bathroom is roomy with a large enough shower. Breakfast is delivered to your door in the morning with a wide selection of your choices. Coffee is k-cup style with more in the lobby. Wine and cheese at 6pm is complimentary and parking is free--a reason alone to stay here. And the price is right to boot. I stayed in the Double Tree earlier this week on the 15th floor and could hear much more street noise there than here on the 5th floor. The front desk person, Richard, is charming and friendly. Then there is the amazing location off the corner of 12th and Locust right near all things center city. Hubby is on his way to spend the rest of the weekend with me and I know his 6'7" height will be well accommodated here.This may be my go to hotel in Philly from now on...if they keep the price right.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank denisetheartist
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

Dear denisetheartist,

Thank you for choosing The Independent and for commenting on your recent stay.

I am very pleased to hear that you found your accommodations at our hotel to be perfect for you and your husband. We love having spacious rooms and comfortable beds, and I think it's great you even had enough room to do yoga! I am also glad you took advantage of our complimentary amenities, such as our breakfast and wine & cheese reception. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We loved everything about this small, friendly hotel. The price was perfect and incredibly came with free parking. Parking in Philly is very expensive. Our room was clean and large enough.
Breakfast (free) is waiting at door every morning, along with newspaper. We walked everywhere,
and were always greeted when we returned.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MoldyOldy

Dear MoldyOldy,

Thank you for choosing The Independent on your recent visit and for commenting on your recent stay.

I am delighted to hear that you had a great experience at our hotel. I am pleased that you took advantage of our parking coupon via TripAdvisor, and also the complimentary breakfast hand delivered to your door. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that if you are in need of a guest room, we will remain your hotel of choice.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

If it wasn't raining, maybe the Hotel deserved a higher rating?

Chose this Hotel mainly because of TripAdvisor's free parking offer. On arrival, there was (1) absolutely no space in front of the Hotel to park our car so we could unload our luggages. The Hotel was on the 2nd Floor, so I had to take the elevator up & asked to borrow a trolley to carry our luggages up to the Hotel when my husband went to park our car. (2) Unfortunately, no one offered any help.

Check-in was efficient though. We're assigned a room on the 3rd floor, & everyone else's comment were right ~ (3) it was extremely noisy from the street as well as from the heater in the room, despite I specifically requested for a quiet room.

I was looking for info on the time of the Cheese Reception but could not find it. It was actually from 6-7 pm. It included 3 kinds of wine, 2 kinds of cheese, nuts & dried apricots. It was a small reception, but nice. The Hotel was also situated on a convenient location.

The room was nice, (4) but the bed had sharp corners. It hurt when I accidentally knocked my feet into the bed. It was a comfortable bed with nice pillows though.

(5) The blind inside the Bathroom was not long enough to cover the whole window. So, people from the opposite building could overlook the toilet area, which made it not private at all. Yet, even worse was that because of the rain, (6) the ceiling of the Bathroom was dripping non-stop! At first, it was only the ceiling close to the Shower, so after we took the Shower, it was ok if we didn't go to the Shower area again. Towards the middle of the night, the ceiling close to the door was also dripping. I didn't notice & almost slid. The dripping also made my hair, pj & slippers wet & dirty.

(7) Morning breakfast was delivered to our room, but they did not knock on the door, so we didn't know until we waited for so long that we checked if they even took our order sheet that we found out it's there.

(8) We did communicate the dripping problem when we checked-out. They obviously knew this problem in advance & didn't care to advise us or did anything.

Overall, we felt it was like a cheap hotel disguised in luxury coating. Do not want to visit again!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lraep
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear Lraep,

Thank you for choosing The Independent and for commenting on your recent stay.

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than perfect. I am also sorry to hear that your bathroom ceiling was dripping due to the heavy rain. That is unacceptable and I will be looking into ways to fix that issue immediately.

We do offer a loading zone in front of the hotel, but you are able to leave your car there for 30 minutes without receiving a ticket. I am sorry that the loading zone was full when you arrived, but sometimes that can happen if there are several check ins at the same time.

I am happy, however, to hear that you found our beds comfortable, our location convenient and enjoyed the wine and cheese reception. Overall, I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. If you choose to stay with us again, please feel free to contact me personally and I will make sure that your next stay will be perfect.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We greatly enjoyed our stay at the Independent Hotel. Parking was a breeze...and inexpensive compared to other prices we had seen and heard about. The room was spacious but not overwhelming. There was little to complain about considering we were in walking direction of almost all attractions and the staff was very helpful/friendly.

Room Tip: 5th floor means you are away from all the noise on the street. Our room faced the city meaning a great view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank trosts
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Dear trosts,

I am pleased to hear that you found your guest room to be spacious and comfortable, and also that you enjoyed the service of our staff during your stay. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.