“Will return”

The Independent Hotel
Ranked #36 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We loved everything about this small, friendly hotel. The price was perfect and incredibly came with free parking. Parking in Philly is very expensive. Our room was clean and large enough.
Breakfast (free) is waiting at door every morning, along with newspaper. We walked everywhere,
and were always greeted when we returned.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MoldyOldy
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

Dear MoldyOldy,

Thank you for choosing The Independent on your recent visit and for commenting on your recent stay.

I am delighted to hear that you had a great experience at our hotel. I am pleased that you took advantage of our parking coupon via TripAdvisor, and also the complimentary breakfast hand delivered to your door. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that if you are in need of a guest room, we will remain your hotel of choice.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

If it wasn't raining, maybe the Hotel deserved a higher rating?

Chose this Hotel mainly because of TripAdvisor's free parking offer. On arrival, there was (1) absolutely no space in front of the Hotel to park our car so we could unload our luggages. The Hotel was on the 2nd Floor, so I had to take the elevator up & asked to borrow a trolley to carry our luggages up to the Hotel when my husband went to park our car. (2) Unfortunately, no one offered any help.

Check-in was efficient though. We're assigned a room on the 3rd floor, & everyone else's comment were right ~ (3) it was extremely noisy from the street as well as from the heater in the room, despite I specifically requested for a quiet room.

I was looking for info on the time of the Cheese Reception but could not find it. It was actually from 6-7 pm. It included 3 kinds of wine, 2 kinds of cheese, nuts & dried apricots. It was a small reception, but nice. The Hotel was also situated on a convenient location.

The room was nice, (4) but the bed had sharp corners. It hurt when I accidentally knocked my feet into the bed. It was a comfortable bed with nice pillows though.

(5) The blind inside the Bathroom was not long enough to cover the whole window. So, people from the opposite building could overlook the toilet area, which made it not private at all. Yet, even worse was that because of the rain, (6) the ceiling of the Bathroom was dripping non-stop! At first, it was only the ceiling close to the Shower, so after we took the Shower, it was ok if we didn't go to the Shower area again. Towards the middle of the night, the ceiling close to the door was also dripping. I didn't notice & almost slid. The dripping also made my hair, pj & slippers wet & dirty.

(7) Morning breakfast was delivered to our room, but they did not knock on the door, so we didn't know until we waited for so long that we checked if they even took our order sheet that we found out it's there.

(8) We did communicate the dripping problem when we checked-out. They obviously knew this problem in advance & didn't care to advise us or did anything.

Overall, we felt it was like a cheap hotel disguised in luxury coating. Do not want to visit again!

3  Thank Lraep
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear Lraep,

Thank you for choosing The Independent and for commenting on your recent stay.

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than perfect. I am also sorry to hear that your bathroom ceiling was dripping due to the heavy rain. That is unacceptable and I will be looking into ways to fix that issue immediately.

We do offer a loading zone in front of the hotel, but you are able to leave your car there for 30 minutes without receiving a ticket. I am sorry that the loading zone was full when you arrived, but sometimes that can happen if there are several check ins at the same time.

I am happy, however, to hear that you found our beds comfortable, our location convenient and enjoyed the wine and cheese reception. Overall, I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. If you choose to stay with us again, please feel free to contact me personally and I will make sure that your next stay will be perfect.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We greatly enjoyed our stay at the Independent Hotel. Parking was a breeze...and inexpensive compared to other prices we had seen and heard about. The room was spacious but not overwhelming. There was little to complain about considering we were in walking direction of almost all attractions and the staff was very helpful/friendly.

Room Tip: 5th floor means you are away from all the noise on the street. Our room faced the city meaning a gr...
2  Thank trosts
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Dear trosts,

I am pleased to hear that you found your guest room to be spacious and comfortable, and also that you enjoyed the service of our staff during your stay. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

The hotel amenities are very nice and we liked our room. But both last Friday and Saturday we were awakened at 2:00 a.m. to extremely loud screaming right beneath us that continued for hours, in fact, right until 6:00 a.m. on Sunday morning. Evidently at 2:00 a.m. a nearby club closes, but the party very much continues at truly ridiculous decibels right on Locust. The first night we thought it was just our bad luck. The second night not so much. The hotel provides ear plugs but they were prettty worthless. We won't be going back to see if other nights might be quieter at 2:00 a.m.. Too bad we missed these warnings on Trip Advisor.

2  Thank Patti P

Dear Patti P,

Thank you for choosing The Independent and for commenting on your recent stay.

I am sorry to hear that you had noise issues during your stay. Because we are located in a downtown area and restaurant district, sometime you will hear some street noise. I would recommend, for any hotel you stay in, to contact the Front Desk right away if you have any issues. We could have contacted to police for a noise complaint and moved your room for the second night to make you more comfortable.

I am happy, however, to hear that you rated our ‘Cleanliness’ and ‘Location’ 5 stars and our ‘Service’ and ‘Rooms’ 4 stars. If you choose to stay with us again, please feel free to contact me personally and I will make sure that your next stay will be perfect.

Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our overnight stay on a Friday. The location is very central to most Philadelphia attractions. Our only complaint is the wake up street noise at 2 AM when the bars let out. We were on the second floor. Perhaps if we were up higher it would have been quiet. The morning continental breakfast was fun in the large sleeping room. The free parking was a great bonus, but the lot is not the one directly across the street which was confusing. They called me when my wife left her boots in the room, and we were able to get them back before I left the city.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Pat P
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Dear Pat P,

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the prime location of our hotel, the complimentary breakfast delivered to your door, and our staff's prompt help with retrieving an item you left behind. I am sorry, however, that you had an issue with street noise during your stay. When your travels bring you back to Philadelphia, please contact me ahead of time and I will be happy to make sure you have a quiet, upper level room. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.