“Interesting but Depressing”

Eastern State Penitentiary
Book In Advance
US$ 63.00*
and up
Philadelphia 3-Combo Tour: Hop-on Hop-off, Eastern State Penitentiary, and...
US$ 32.00*
Philadelphia Hop-On Hop-Off City Tour
US$ 56.00*
Hop-on Hop-off and Philly By Night Tour Combo
Ranked #3 of 456 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site was once the most famous and expensive prison in the world, but stands today in ruin, a haunting world of crumbling cellblocks and empty guard towers. Known for its grand architecture and strict discipline, this was the world’s first true “penitentiary,” a prison designed to inspire penitence, or true regret, in the hearts of convicts. Tours today include the cellblocks, solitary punishment cells, Al Capone’s Cell, and Death Row.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 26 April 2012

A stop on our City Pass itinerary. Audio tour narrated by Steve Buscemi and former inmates. Very depressing images of isolation and confinement--a prison after all. Very good audio tour explaining the type prison system it was. Didn't see anything but port-a-john for restroom facilities.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Eastern State Penitentiary

Reviewed 24 April 2012

My boyfriend and I went to Eastern State because he is submitting a proposal to install artwork in the Penitentiary. Wow, what a place. The people who work there are very knowledgeable and super friendly. The current art installations are varied and amazing. The stained glass in particular was breathtaking. There were two installations juxtaposed where one artist had knitted the interior of a cell and one artist had encased a cell in metal. I cannot imagine what it was like to be incarcerated here. It is so cold an monolithic. We are definitely flying up there for the Halloween event. I just cannot imagine how scary it is. I mean, it is scary without an event. I cannot wait. Oh and just a parking tip. We drove, and we parked in the lot next to the Penitentiary. It was $13 for 2-12 hours, which I felt was reasonable.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I feel so lucky to have toured Alcatraz and Eastern State Penitentiary within a 12-month period, and would jump at the opportunity to return to both places. If you're the least bit interested in history and enjoy exploring nooks and crannies with the benefit of a self audio guided tour, you'll not be disappointed in ESP. I only wish we'd had more time (we were there at least two hours). Be sure to see Al Capone's cell which has been restored to the conditions he "enjoyed" there prior to his removal to Alcatraz.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Went on the weekend before Halloween with 3 other people. We had a blast. It was a long wait, but the attraction was pretty cool.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

This was a great tour and my husband and 9 year old son enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend this tour to anyone visiting the area.