“A Disappointing Experience for Me”

Anchorage Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 33 Restaurants in Coupeville
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 7 September 2016

I stayed for five nights in the Discovery Suite. The Inn is quite pretty and everything is immaculate. The mattress was very comfortable and the from was quiet and pleasant. My overall disappointment is based on very specific factors.

First, I stayed there while attending classes at the Pacific Northwest School of Art. I had understood that the Inn was within "walking distance" to the School, but that turns out to be a highly subjective description/measure that was not true for me. I was there during a heat-wave and the half-mike walk from the Inn to the School is mostly uphill. Carrying art supplies and materials, the morning hike was a real chore. I tried hard to arrange a standing order for a morning cab ride, or to nail down bus times and stops, but I was not successful and the distance between the B and B and the School was a real sore point for me throughout my stay.

More troubling, the first day I returned from classes to find the front door to the Inn standing wide open and the door to my room at the top of the first flight of stairs wide open as well! Of course, I assumed that I had screwed up the door-shutting and locking routine, so I let the matter pass and the next morning I tested the door as if I were on the gridiron. I left for class with no worries but came back to the Inn at the end of the day to find ... the door to my room again standing wide open!!! I flew downstairs to get to the bottom of the problem and was told by the staff person in charge that the Inn had been having trouble with that door for a long time. That was not a satisfying response, of course. The safety and integrity of the traveler's belongings is a core service expected and relied upon by the traveler. The problem of those two security breaches was somehow resolved after I complained when it happened the second night in a row. Even so, I was uncomfortable on check-out day when I needed to leave my property until later in the afternoon that there was no lockable space that could be made available. I was instructed to leave my bags at the desk (generally unstaffed and just inside the unlocked front door) and I worried about the security of my property all day. Given the two prior incidents, it would have been a much-appreciated courtesy to allow some better security for my belongings on on check-out day.

I am of course aware of the many hundreds of satisfied visitors to Anchorage Inn. Their reviews are the reason I booked there in the first place. But the truth is that it was not the wonderful experience for me that it has been for so many others.

It is strange that Trip Advisor categorizes Anchorage Inn as a restaurant. Of course, it is not.

Reviewed 3 August 2016

In our experience, Anchorage Inn is 'all world'.
Beautifully designed & presented purpose built in 1989, but you'd swear it was Victorian. Tallest structure and best view in Coupeville. Wrap around decking for sunset drink or watching sailboats in Penn Cove.
Dave and Diane are the best innkeepers we have ever come across. Comfortable beds and great fresh different cooked breakfast daily . Attention to detail faultless. Highest ratings in all categories. PERIOD. America's top 10 B&B in Coupeville on Whidbey Island. Experience and Enjoy.

Reviewed 19 June 2016

Great place to stay. Been here numerous times and will be back! The rooms are clean . The staff and owners are all professional and courteous . I enjoy waking up to a great breakfast.

Reviewed 7 April 2016

This is not a restaurant it is an outstanding B&B. Fabulos hosts, wonderful rooms, great views, and a perfect location. Close to EVERYTHING Coupeville has to offer.

Reviewed 19 October 2015

I spent one night here in room 3 and found it very comfortable and quiet. The view and location was excellent. My only minor comment would be that the bed in that room has a very low headboard making it impossible to sit up in bed and read.